? servers

? players online

How many guitarists we got in SG?

• Content Count:  2959

I'm in the market for an electric and I figure the more opinions I get the more informed I am. My budget's up to $150ish in the near term of a month and a half or so, and I can basically up that by another 30-40 every two weeks by saving a bit off each paycheck...but since I'm a newb here it needs to be something really worth getting at that price like a MIA fender or a MIM and a really nice amp. Since I live in Orlando, the hipster capitol of central florida, I'm basically swimming in used guitars which makes craigslist pickings nice.

Now since I want to play a mix of golden oldies/classic rock and modern metal I already know to go for an HSS. The trick is which one. I've been warned off of squiers, starcasters, and there's mixed reviews of yamahas which is fine since there arent really any of those around atm anyway. What I've found so far is a $70 GSA60, a $150 SA Series ibanez that I THINK is an SA260FM or QM, and then at the very top end there's a few oddballs floating around like MIM Fenders, a "Deluxe Stratocaster" that's got a body, pickguard, and pickup color I've only ever seen on USA made models but the bridge and lower fret count of a MIM along with oddball wavy "stratocaster" text.

What I'm wondering is if I'm heading in the right direction for the kind of music I want to play, what I should consider reasonable prices for these kinds of guitars, and any other models I might want to look at for a good value.

Oh yeah and some guy wants to get rid of one of these badly enough that he's willing to sell it for $15, which means it's time for me to go turn that around for double that minimum at a pawn shop.

• Content Count:  219

I'm in the market for an electric and I figure the more opinions I get the more informed I am. My budget's up to $150ish in the near term of a month and a half or so, and I can basically up that by another 30-40 every two weeks by saving a bit off each paycheck...but since I'm a newb here it needs to be something really worth getting at that price like a MIA fender or a MIM and a really nice amp. Since I live in Orlando, the hipster capitol of central florida, I'm basically swimming in used guitars which makes craigslist pickings nice.

Now since I want to play a mix of golden oldies/classic rock and modern metal I already know to go for an HSS. The trick is which one. I've been warned off of squiers, starcasters, and there's mixed reviews of yamahas which is fine since there arent really any of those around atm anyway. What I've found so far is a $70 GSA60, a $150 SA Series ibanez that I THINK is an SA260FM or QM, and then at the very top end there's a few oddballs floating around like MIM Fenders, a "Deluxe Stratocaster" that's got a body, pickguard, and pickup color I've only ever seen on USA made models but the bridge and lower fret count of a MIM along with oddball wavy "stratocaster" text.

What I'm wondering is if I'm heading in the right direction for the kind of music I want to play, what I should consider reasonable prices for these kinds of guitars, and any other models I might want to look at for a good value.

Oh yeah and some guy wants to get rid of one of these badly enough that he's willing to sell it for $15, which means it's time for me to go turn that around for double that minimum at a pawn shop.

Choosing a guitar is a pretty tough choice, I know. I have 6 or 7 and those are the best I have ever had. I’m not sure how guitar-savvy you are, but I can do my best to help you out.

From the genre that you're looking for (modern metal, classic rock) definitely stay away from Squier's, Starcaster's or any starter kit. They only last as long as a band-aid and soon you'll be dishing out a lot of money on strings, polish, cleaner, straps, picks, etc. Don’t put out more money than the guitar is worth, you know?

Ibanez’s are my favorite guitar company of all time. I have never been disappointed with them at all. Just got myself an electric-acoustic AE120 for Christmas and it’s amazing. Ibanez’s are entry-level guitars that are around the price range you’re looking at and provide the quality you need for metal/rock music. From top to bottom: the head stock is durable and grovers rarely get your guitar out of tune. Their necks are relatively thin and your fingers can glide across it. The body of the guitar is very light and sometimes you’ll forget you’re wearing it. Pickups are amazing; humbuckers are a good option when deciding on a guitar because they’ll give you that fat, raw tone you want. If you’re wanting one of them, try this. It was my very first electric guitar but I sold it to buy myself a Epiphone Les Paul, hah. The GRX20 is an amazing guitar with the kind of sound you’re looking for. If you want to dish out an extra $50 for a mash-up guitar made for both classic rock and metal, try the GART50FA. It has thicker humbuckers and more control over your EQ. Of course, you can definitely fin these babies used in shops around your place; might even find mine, hah.

Other options you should consider are Epiphone guitars. They’re the son of Gibson guitars, but they cost less and sound a lot better in my opinion. It’s like building a PC and going out and buying an Alienware, the brand name will make it cost more. One guitar that is definitely suited for you could be the SG. Amazing guitar and their stock pickups are nice. I replaced my Les Paul with Seymour Duncan Blackouts, and it sounds so good.

The most common guitar that you will see used and will be good for you are Telecasters, Stratocasters; basically any Fenders. You can never go wrong with a classic guitar, but getting them to be in your genre range is tough. I don’t think I’ve seen too many modern metal bands with a Strat, lol. You can get those really cheap though, and if you can get it cheap, you might have enough change up your electronics and give it the tone you want. I’ve never had a problem with a stratocaster, even though I use it for blues like Hendrix, John Mayer, etc.

So all in all, I would aim for an Ibanez or Epiphone, and I’m positive that you can find one of those used with a good price, but also try out a Strat in the mix and see how you like it. My decision point on choosing a guitar is how it feels on my hands and how much of a beating it can take. If I paid good money for her, then she better be able to handle my type of abuse.

Keep your options open and you are definitely heading in the right direction towards what you want.

I hope this is helpful and good luck with shopping!

• Content Count:  405

I play guitar but im not a fanatic or anything, but the guitar I have is a Martins, which is the best acoustic brand. I don't know if there is a Martins electric guitar. :|

I play guitar but im not a fanatic or anything, but the guitar I have is a Martins, which is the best acoustic brand. I don't know if there is a Martins electric guitar. :|

Martin does make electric guitars, but acoustic guitars are their specialty.

I knew I could count on SG for a straight answer >P

Loaf: Thanks for the really thorough writeup but those are all H-H guitars and since a lot of golden oldies stuff is cleaner I'm looking at HSS models so I can have that breadth and variety of sound. That's why about everything I've found is basically a Fat Strat model of some kind.

I knew I could count on SG for a straight answer >P

Loaf: Thanks for the really thorough writeup but those are all H-H guitars and since a lot of golden oldies stuff is cleaner I'm looking at HSS models so I can have that breadth and variety of sound. That's why about everything I've found is basically a Fat Strat model of some kind.

Ahh, leaning more to the golden oldies side? Yeah I'm pretty sure the only HSS models around are Fat Stratocasters and that's where you need to go.

There's plenty of options with Fender Strats. Plus you can get pedals like a Boss Equalizer Pedal to widen your sound since the built in EQ isn't the finest. Those can go used for a cheap price ~$40 since buying a new one for ~$100 is ridiculous.

In your case, a Strat is for you. I think it'll suit you very well. If you still wanna try some more out, definitely try an Ibanez, Epiphone, Gretsch, and maybe an ESP if they are to come cheap somewhere.

• Content Count:  330

I can't really argue with anything said here. The only thing that I can add is buy as nice a guitar as you can afford, and stay away from any off-brand cheapo stuff. If you can get into a decent used MIM Fat Strat for around that $300 price point, it should take you reasonably far sound-wise, and at worst you can always flip it for the same money you bought it for. BTW, you will discover that no single guitar will ever do everything you want it to... :)

Also, I'm assuming you're also in the market for an amp? If so, I'd strongly recommend one of the newer modeling amps, so at least you can approximate the range of tones you're looking for without spending another chunk of money on stompboxes. While it is true that they are definitely not perfect, at least you can get a better feel for what you might want. Unless you already know that you like a Class A tone with a bit of clipping, or a super clean Roland-type jazz sound, blah blah blah. Also, be sure that it has enough wattage to play over drums (20w+ tube, 50w+ solid state if you can manage). Oh! And make sure you can move it, by yourself.

Ahh, leaning more to the golden oldies side? Yeah I'm pretty sure the only HSS models around are Fat Stratocasters and that's where you need to go.

There's plenty of options with Fender Strats. Plus you can get pedals like a Boss Equalizer Pedal to widen your sound since the built in EQ isn't the finest. Those can go used for a cheap price ~$40 since buying a new one for ~$100 is ridiculous.

In your case, a Strat is for you. I think it'll suit you very well. If you still wanna try some more out, definitely try an Ibanez, Epiphone, Gretsch, and maybe an ESP if they are to come cheap somewhere.

Well it's a straight split. On the one hand, yeah basically everything from before the berlin wall fell but on the other hand I admit to being That Guy that wants to also play Canon Rock or the castlevania guitar arrangements and stuff like sabaton. Realistically I know that the actual sound is going to be all in the amp as far as "matching" a song goes, and that there's no way in hell even the best HSS or HSH could ever go from Misirlou to

perfectly. From what I've heard though it can however be good enough that its not actually bothersome to someone learning to play.

And yeah all the HSS (not sure about HSH... thoughts?) models I've seen are fat strats basically. I've linked to the ones I've found so far, a midrange SA series ibanez, a couple possible MIM fender fats (one HSH that looks like it might be an MIA I don't know yet), and one yamaha 412.

I can't really argue with anything said here. The only thing that I can add is buy as nice a guitar as you can afford, and stay away from any off-brand cheapo stuff. If you can get into a decent used MIM Fat Strat for around that $300 price point, it should take you reasonably far sound-wise, and at worst you can always flip it for the same money you bought it for. BTW, you will discover that no single guitar will ever do everything you want it to... :)

Also, I'm assuming you're also in the market for an amp? If so, I'd strongly recommend one of the newer modeling amps, so at least you can approximate the range of tones you're looking for without spending another chunk of money on stompboxes. While it is true that they are definitely not perfect, at least you can get a better feel for what you might want. Unless you already know that you like a Class A tone with a bit of clipping, or a super clean Roland-type jazz sound, blah blah blah. Also, be sure that it has enough wattage to play over drums (20w+ tube, 50w+ solid state if you can manage). Oh! And make sure you can move it, by yourself.

Yeah I grew up with a toys r us harmony children's guitar, impossible to play or even tune, and although I've now got an Ibanez (they turn up used around here a lot) Artwood AW300 which is apparently a quite respectable acoustic the string height/action of roughly DOUBLE what it should be which could well be responsible for why it's a bitch to work with. I've kinda learned the hard way that it's going to be very much worth my time to research this thoroughly and make sure I get a solid guitar down to having the right neck radius (fenders are like 9" while ibanezes tend to be 12-15") for playing this stuff. I don't plan on getting anything for at least a month and likely more depending on how the research and saving goes and what comes up.

The bright side is like my links to craigslist show I live in the hipster capitol of central florida, so there's a ton of quality used instruments floating around between them and the three largest colleges in state being RIGHT HERE.

[edit]

I think case in point would be This fat strat with dial-a-tap and dimarzio pickups for $400, which I might be able to talk down into the $360s. Would that be worth the $350-375 range?

Edited by Shadowex3

Reply to Thread