? servers

? players online

Black woman walks into a Korean supermarket, chaos insues.

• Content Count:  1116

allAfrica.com: Kenya: Flying Kenya's Business Flag in S. Korea (Page 1 of 2)

One fine morning, pandemonium broke out in a South Korean supermarket, and customers and shop stewards alike scampered for safety. Babies strapped on their mothers' backs, others in prams screamed as their parents sought the nearest exits.

And it wasn't a terrorist attack, neither was it a band of robbers who had raided the convenience store. No, it wasn't a fire alert either.One Kenyan woman had just walked in to make a purchase.

"It was terrible!" recalls the woman, Everlyne Nyambegera. "Children were crying, their mothers dashing for the exits and all this made me also break down and start crying too."

"I was so upset and I said to myself that I will never go back to Korea again . . . one of my aunties in Kenya told me I'd be mad to return to Korea," she told Lifestyle in Seoul recently.

It was the first time in their lives that these Koreans had seen a black person, live, and their fright makes Ms Nyambegera smile in hindsight each time she narrates the amusing story to friends and family. Ms Nyambegera is Kenya's only trader in the Republic of Korea, her Kisii soapstone and curio shop the sole Kenyan business in this fast-growing Asian nation. The shop incident is just one of many hardships that she has had to endure to break even in a market that is so conservative and wary of foreigners, especially black people.

• Content Count:  1371

what the hell. How can you have never seen a black person I would understand if it was North Korean but South? COme on now.

because they don't live in an extremely heterogeneous country like America?

you think most Africans that still live in Africa have ever seen an Asian person? probably not.

This is the far east we're talking about.

• Content Count:  11501

what the hell. How can you have never seen a black person I would understand if it was North Korean but South? COme on now.

We had people in boot camp who had never seen / talked to a black person before.

• Content Count:  2390

Really not unusual. As far as I am aware Asian countries are just quite racist in general(no offense), but especially to black people.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread