? servers

? players online

Question to those that serve or have served in the US Military

• Content Count:  1765

I am going through a phase in my life right now that is pretty depressing. I left my job at a hotel for a better opportunity, unfortunately, that opportunity didn't work out like I had hoped. I have been searching relentlessly for a job since June. I am now back home living with my father, in massive debt, and have been contemplating my next move.

On one hand, I have a possible job opportunity at Oregon State University... the thing is, I'm not sure when it will become available. It was suppose to happen a month ago, but they seem to be taking their time on it.

On the other hand, I have been thinking about joining the military. Most likely with the Navy. I have a younger sister who is currently stationed in Bremerton, Washington on the USS Nimitz... I have not discussed this with her yet. I briefly ran it by my Dad and he pretty much told me that you got to do what you gotta do.

I know the military has so many great pros to joining it. Decent money, great benefits, travel the world... etc. The only cons I could think of were being away from friends and family, missing out on the things I have gotten so adapted to over my last 9 years living in Corvallis.

I know whatever direction I decide to go in, will impact my life in some way, shape, or form. I guess my question do you that have been in the some place I have been in... what made you join the military instead of taking a shit job like fast food? I guess my problem is, I wish the answer would be presented to me on a silver platter... but that's not life.

Appreciate any information or suggestions you'd like to share with me. Thanks.

• Content Count:  2942

If you don't want to actively serve out of country you could join the reserves. I have a few friends that are already in the Air Force and they say it is a life long commitment to them at least. I know you can serve for a certain amount of years, I'm not quite sure on the actual amount of time. It is also possible you could get trained in communications/programming/computer science and work in the states on a base. I'd either talk to Caution or Jewpiter.

• Content Count:  475

you arent alone dude, ive been there. straight up bad times, was ready to ditch my civilian life for service.

I never took the plunge though, something or other was always there just in time to pull me away.

I will say though, in the time ive been eligible for service, i have seen friends join complete their 4 years or whatever and leave - they always have a career after military work.

A solid career with a network and benefits to boot.

If someone gave me the option to roll back to 2004 and join the military I would go for it though.

food for thought.

• Content Count:  3791

I know when I finish uni (Four years) I'll be joining the UK Military (Army) for at least four years. I'm not too sure if it will be anything related to my course, but I do know that I want to serve my country.

• Content Count:  1025

I don't currently serve (will most likely in two years), but I come from a military family; also Uncles, Cousins, Grandfathers, hell even a Grandmother. It is an incredible opportunity from what I am told. I can't wait to experience it myself. If you really are in the "slums", why not. If anything it will give you more job experience, connections, friends that will remain loyal to you for the rest of your life, and something only a small percentage of Americans can say they also did. I go to school with many military-folk: whether they are joining, are veterans, are in the reserves, currently in, or whatnot. I have been gathering information myself (this information coming from REAL people not recruiters), and they usually only had good things to say, except maybe the occasional "Not enough time in ports", "Pretty difficult to start a family and settle down", etc. The pay... may not be the greatest, but you travel for free, sheltered for free and are fed. But this is usually something most people do because they want to, not for a check each week. It will open options for you; there are so many different fields you can do; I can't even begin to describe what's out there. All of which can then be a great transition into a civilian job.

For me personally, I want to join because I always had that sort of mentality. I want to prove to myself that I can do it. During school through MARGRAD (will have to sign my commitment next year) or after school through OCS, I want to join the Coast Guard as an officer, especially coming from a maritime academy majoring in emergency management homeland security. If not that, I'm definitely joining the Reserves. One of the guys I work with is in Navy Reserves, Senior Chief as a matter of fact [was active, now Reserves], really made me (as a last resort) want to join the Reserves (also a nice little stipend each month). And then from there, I want to move onto DHS, DOD, or what-have-you, maybe even private-sector security. I'm not too worried about finding a job because with that military background, most places automatically take a veteran because they know what the military training and life does to an individual (also because of laws).

No matter what you do, having that military background will get you places. Whether you decide to become a lifer or serve your duty and move onto a civilian job, you WILL be a better person. Being in the military proves that you're disciplined, you can work with a team cooperitavely,... the list literally goes on forever. My father is in some computer-science field bullshit (I have no idea tbh), but he worked at [A company] testing the Patriot Missile in Arizona when he was younger all through computers and whatnot. I mean there is so many ways to apply computers/intelligence/IT/etc to the military. I also met a man who served in Iraq at my dad's office and he was doing computer-related stuff in the military. A guy I work with was in the Marines then went on to become an US Marshal. There are so many opportunities in the military (even VERY CLASSIFIED stuff :amuse:) that smoothly transition into the civilian world. I'm not trying to recruit you in any way, shape, or form. I'm just saying if the OSU opportunity is a flop, hell... why not. It will only help you.

I know I repeated myself a couple times; but I am just trying to emphasize some important points that may help your decision. What I'm telling you is just the tip of the iceberg (I could go on for pages). If you're truly determined, you'll definitely have to go talk to some recruiters, friends, family, and really gather your information because it is a big decision.

Just remember:

NAVY: Never Again Volunteer Yourself

ARMY: Ain't Ready for the Marines Yet

CG: Puddle-Pirates - Afraid to get their knees wet

Air Force: Chair-Force

Marines: Got nothing and respect my family enough to not want to think of a "negative".

All in good fun.

:)

*Sorry if it's hard to follow or unorganized - I kind of threw it together rather quickly.

Edited by Wicked Pissah

• Content Count:  1980

It all depends how old you are Supa...The OCS system isn't a bad option for getting your tuition paid and getting a into the Armed Forces as an officer. I'm still debating on joining up for that but I really don't wanna leave for upwards of a year and other selfish thoughts.

Just a tip from a friend of mine Scott and his father who is like an E-9 don't join unless you're really really sure you wanna be in a tin can for months.

• Content Count:  3736

I think if you are willing to spend those 4 years doing that why not.. but its a commitment.

Im in a similar position right now. thinking of joining the airforce... life is like a box of chocolate you never know what you gonna get (Forrest Gumps Momma).

Just remember if that debt is to great and your credit is shit sometimes the military wont take you!

• Content Count:  11501

I am going through a phase in my life right now that is pretty depressing. I left my job at a hotel for a better opportunity, unfortunately, that opportunity didn't work out like I had hoped. I have been searching relentlessly for a job since June. I am now back home living with my father, in massive debt, and have been contemplating my next move.

On one hand, I have a possible job opportunity at Oregon State University... the thing is, I'm not sure when it will become available. It was suppose to happen a month ago, but they seem to be taking their time on it.

On the other hand, I have been thinking about joining the military. Most likely with the Navy. I have a younger sister who is currently stationed in Bremerton, Washington on the USS Nimitz... I have not discussed this with her yet. I briefly ran it by my Dad and he pretty much told me that you got to do what you gotta do.

I know the military has so many great pros to joining it. Decent money, great benefits, travel the world... etc. The only cons I could think of were being away from friends and family, missing out on the things I have gotten so adapted to over my last 9 years living in Corvallis.

I know whatever direction I decide to go in, will impact my life in some way, shape, or form. I guess my question do you that have been in the some place I have been in... what made you join the military instead of taking a shit job like fast food? I guess my problem is, I wish the answer would be presented to me on a silver platter... but that's not life.

Appreciate any information or suggestions you'd like to share with me. Thanks.

Message me on vent or steam if you want to talk more in depth about it, and I'll try and answer the questions you may have, cause it's hard to just go off of "should I join?". I have friends on the Nimitz too :p

If you don't want to actively serve out of country you could join the reserves.

All this stuff you guys are saying is completely subjective. If you're in the reserves as a marine, you're still very likely to deploy. Cloud was an exception, but I've seen reservist units deploy more than a lot of active duty units.

No matter what you do, having that military background will get you places. Whether you decide to become a lifer or serve your duty and move onto a civilian job, you WILL be a better person. Being in the military proves that you're disciplined, you can work with a team cooperitavely,... the list literally goes on forever.

What the fuck. No.

Most of your post was just a motard post, which is cool because I know it's going to be a new experience for you and everything, but this paragraph is flat out dumb. The military (and of course there's always exceptions, don't get me wrong) will not 100% instill discipline, team work, and improve you as a person (the last example though is really a subjective thing, so I can't really harp too much on that). But if you're going into the military as a fucking asshat expecting to come out a changed man, you're (most of the time) going to be disappointed. It's hard to go into detail a lot about this unless you've seen it, but YOU'RE going to be YOU when you get out. You may look at life in different perspectives and take less things for granted, but in the end, you're still going to be the guy who hates making his bed and puts it off till later, the guy who doesn't hold the door open for people, the guy who argues with superiors, the guy who steals, etc. Speaking of stealing, the military is FULL of thieves. You'll see it when you join, I promise.

It all depends how old you are Supa...The OCS system isn't a bad option for getting your tuition paid and getting a into the Armed Forces as an officer.

You get college paid for regardless of if you go in as an officer or enlisted.

As far as "what branch should I join" , it comes down to what do you want to be at the end of the day. Do you want to be called a seaman? Do you want to be an airman? Do you want to be called a Marine? etc.

Gonna be interesting to see how much false information is going to get posted.

Edited by Caution

• Content Count:  1980

Well it seems you're 25 so I'd guess you've been to a college of some sort hopefully you have a degree so you can get in the OCS. So it's up to you Supa if you want to be an officer or come in as an enlisted.

Reply to Thread