? servers

? players online

Question to those that serve or have served in the US Military

• Content Count:  1765

Thanks guys for the responses.

Caution: I don't have vent or steam right now, since I've been using my Dad's labtop. But I may hook up my computer at his house or download it and talk to you.

Harp: I'm 26 and I have completed 3 years of college, but no degree. Dropped out as I couldn't afford it anymore and didn't want to owe any more money to student loans.

• Content Count:  3736

All this stuff you guys are saying is completely subjective. If you're in the reserves as a marine, you're still very likely to deploy. Cloud was an exception, but I've seen reservist units deploy more than a lot of active duty units.

What the fuck. No.

Most of your post was just a motard post, which is cool because I know it's going to be a new experience for you and everything, but this paragraph is flat out dumb. The military (and of course there's always exceptions, don't get me wrong) will not 100% instill discipline, team work, and improve you as a person (the last example though is really a subjective thing, so I can't really harp too much on that). But if you're going into the military as a fucking asshat expecting to come out a changed man, you're (most of the time) going to be disappointed. It's hard to go into detail a lot about this unless you've seen it, but YOU'RE going to be YOU when you get out. You may look at life in different perspectives and take less things for granted, but in the end, you're still going to be the guy who hates making his bed and puts it off till later, the guy who doesn't hold the door open for people, the guy who argues with superiors, the guy who steals, etc. Speaking of stealing, the military is FULL of thieves. You'll see it when you join, I promise.

Ive seen a few people join the reserve for the airforce because they didnt want to be deployed and it seemed to work for them.. I dont know about the marines...

As for the second thing you said obviously you need to want to change to actually change but I do believe serving is a good way to start. It takes you from your current life to a completely different place where. At least thats what a couple of my friends seem to get out of it. They were more eager to succeed. They were both asshats before (so to speak) and now they are still serving but they are a whole lot different imo. One of them I had not seen since the end we were about 15 met again when he was 21 or so and now he is a completely different person

As for the military experience it always looks good on a resume... so it will always take you to a better place in the work force and in your daily life. Its a good thing but its up to each one of us do the right thing at the end of the day (not steal, be an idiot...)

• Content Count:  11501

^^

Yeah, not saying it's not going to benefit you in a work enviroment or anything. And a lot of people definitely do pick up better habits, etc, but people get the misconception that they're suddenly holy because they're in the military.

As far as them not deploying, yeah that's the airforce LOL.

• Content Count:  716

Well, I joined the Navy recently but I haven't been to bootcamp yet so I can only tell you what I've heard from other service members who are friends, or what I know off hand based on research. With the Navy you'll definitely have the opportunity to finish getting that degree if you wish through NROTC and you can move on to OCS to become an officer if that's what you want.

I've heard a lot from people I know that are active-duty, reserve and retired. You will meet people that will say it's not the life for them. But the majority of them have told me things like "I never had a boring day in my life when I was in the Navy." Or a friend I have who was just forced to retire a few weeks ago as Lieutenant Colonel. He told me he would have gladly stayed in the service for many years if he wasn't forced to retire. It's all about whether it really appeals to you or not. Sometimes the only way to know for sure is to join. I can't make that decision for you.

But what Caution says is true, you stay the same person, your ideals might change...or the way you act somewhat. But you are still the same person (except for in boot camp when they pretty much strip your individuality, all that changes when you leave).

In my opinion, I say you should join, but of course my opinion is biased since I've already made the decision.

• Content Count:  3736

^^

Yeah, not saying it's not going to benefit you in a work enviroment or anything. And a lot of people definitely do pick up better habits, etc, but people get the misconception that they're suddenly holy because they're in the military.

As far as them not deploying, yeah that's the airforce LOL.

Dood your just jelly

9539.jpg

^proof!

• Content Count:  11501

Dood your just jelly

9539.jpg

^proof!

Pilot: Gear down and locked request landing runway 28 right.

Me: Wind 280 @ 7, runway 28 left, cleared to land.

Pilot: Request landing 28 right.

No, assfuck, I said no for a reason. I HATE pilots lol. Pilots are in every branch of the military too, not just the airforce.

Pilots are retarded. I have probably the only job in the entire military (not literally probably, sure there might be one or two others) where I get to tell officers (pilots) what to do.

• Content Count:  3343

Pilot: Gear down and locked request landing runway 28 right.

Me: Wind 280 @ 7, runway 28 left, cleared to land.

Pilot: Request landing 28 right.

No, assfuck, I said no for a reason. I HATE pilots lol. Pilots are in every branch of the military too, not just the airforce.

Pilots are retarded. I have probably the only job in the entire military (not literally probably, sure there might be one or two others) where I get to tell officers (pilots) what to do.

He just wants to land the plane

Edited by Psyche

Reply to Thread