? servers

? players online

Anyone Snowboard?

• Content Count:  3697

1500 is really high for an intermediate snowboarder.

I got my board, and bindings for like 500 total (CAD-which is ~£320). Not absolutely top quality, but I can't possibly imagine having to spend anywhere NEAR that much on snowboard gear.

Unless you are getting a brand new 2013 model which MIGHT run you like £6-700 (don't do it), get a 2012 or 2011 model and save yourself like £3-400.

Get Flow bindings, you will NOT regret them. When I got mine I thought they'd be nice, no, they're amazing. I can genuinely say you should not even consider any other bindings.

You could look into Arbor boards, they look really nice, no personal experience with them though, would have gotten one but they seem to be somewhat hard to find. Then there's always the more common brands like Burton which are certainly great too.

Boots get whatever, not very important aside from comfort (and just make sure they match the board/bindings).

My board cost me ~200, bindings cost me another 200, boots were about 100, and shipping for board+bindings was another 80 ish? (This is all CAD). Again, not top quality, and you might want to spend more on your board, but bindings should run you like £1-150, board could go up a fair bit more (you could try to find one on sale), and boots should be

I don't ride with a helmet so I really can't tell you about that, if you do a lot of tricks and are in the park a lot it might be a good idea to invest in one, but I can't really help you with that. Goggles aren't that expensive.

So unless you are getting a brand new 2013 board, new bindings, new boots, new helmet, new coat, new snowpants, new goggles, new underwear, shirt, jeans, toque, neck scarf and the lot, I don't see how it's going to run you £1500.

But yeah, get Flow bindings, and then just get a sick looking snowboard.

• Content Count:  3052

1500 is really high for an intermediate snowboarder.

I got my board, and bindings for like 500 total (CAD-which is ~£320). Not absolutely top quality, but I can't possibly imagine having to spend anywhere NEAR that much on snowboard gear.

Unless you are getting a brand new 2013 model which MIGHT run you like £6-700 (don't do it), get a 2012 or 2011 model and save yourself like £3-400.

Get Flow bindings, you will NOT regret them. When I got mine I thought they'd be nice, no, they're amazing. I can genuinely say you should not even consider any other bindings.

You could look into Arbor boards, they look really nice, no personal experience with them though, would have gotten one but they seem to be somewhat hard to find. Then there's always the more common brands like Burton which are certainly great too.

Boots get whatever, not very important aside from comfort (and just make sure they match the board/bindings).

My board cost me ~200, bindings cost me another 200, boots were about 100, and shipping for board+bindings was another 80 ish? (This is all CAD). Again, not top quality, and you might want to spend more on your board, but bindings should run you like £1-150, board could go up a fair bit more (you could try to find one on sale), and boots should be

I don't ride with a helmet so I really can't tell you about that, if you do a lot of tricks and are in the park a lot it might be a good idea to invest in one, but I can't really help you with that. Goggles aren't that expensive.

So unless you are getting a brand new 2013 board, new bindings, new boots, new helmet, new coat, new snowpants, new goggles, new underwear, shirt, jeans, toque, neck scarf and the lot, I don't see how it's going to run you £1500.

But yeah, get Flow bindings, and then just get a sick looking snowboard.

I don't snowboard (I ski). My brother snowboards. But Bob says it well. you don't need the newest model.. it will deff save you money. The flow binding are so convenient.. You would be dumb not to get them lol.

I know where I am from.. each summer (right before September) their is a HUGE ski/snowboard sale at fairgrounds... Now I am not saying your gonna find one of these near you. BUT that is the time to buy the older model stuff for cheap prices..

Edited by Labarr

• Content Count:  113

Nuuu i ment £1500 for like Snowboard, bindings, boots, pants, jacket, helmet, goggles etc xD sorry i must of worded it wrong! i was looking on Burtons I'm 6 ft 2 and i weigh 180lbs and im a size 10.5 in boot but I'm not too sure what board i should get thanks for the advice aswell! keep it coming!

Pick your board first, and most other things will be based around what board you choose.

Snowboard: Burton, Ride, Arbor, Rome, Forum, and more. Find a good looking board, then do some reviews on it. It doesn't matter how nice the board is or what brand it is, if it's not your size, or doesn't fit your riding style, don't get it.

Bindings: Flow.

Boots: Again anything really. I have Burton Invaders, but any boot that matches and fits will pretty much work.

Pants/Jacket: just go to your nearest Mark's Work Wearhouse (or an equivalent where you live), and pick something up. Wouldn't be 'brand' name, but would be good quality. In this case, most brands would work fine. Quicksilver, Burton, any brand that makes winter wear would work if you're looking for brand name.

Helmet: Can't help you, never looked into helmets.

Goggles: I recommend Spy or Oakley. (Mine are Oakley, but the sickest pair I've ever seen were Spy, I just didn't feel like spending $120 on them).

Honestly though, board: £300, bindings: £150, boots: £100, pants: £50, jacket: £150, helmet: ?? ~£70 ??, goggles: £70.

Still under £1000, and I would say that would be generously spending on most of the things I listed. The only thing that would have a huge variance would be the board, but again, if you aren't getting a brand new 2013 model it's not going to run you anywhere near £1500.

I genuinely believe you could budget it and get good gear for like £500 or less, but hey it's your choice, I just don't think you'd ever notice a difference between a setup for 500, vs 1500 when it came to actual riding/performance (unless you were top tier snowboarder).

(This was also guesstimating conversions between CAD and £).

• Content Count:  113

Thanks for the advice! I really like the look of flow bindings so i will certainly get some of those.

I'm a bit of a picky bitch when it comes to picking stuff like this, since it's my first snowboard and all. I think I'm going to get the Burton Sherlock 2013 it's around £420 i think.

I've chosen out a couple pairs of pants and jackets that i really like too. Goggles i don't really need until i go on a snowboarding holiday which will probably be at the end of the year maybe next year as I'm going to America this year.

Helmets are basically around £50 - 80 RED Helmets are the best I'm getting one for around £55 so I'm still in around £1200 for everything really so I think I'm also sorted! thanks a lot really appreciate the help.

One more thing though :p It says on burtons that "Diecut Base Color Combinations May Vary" I assume that means no matter what size i pick with the color, the color may be different? This is what I'm getting, in size 163. Sherlock Snowboard | Burton Snowboards

Colour may vary just means the shade may be different. If you order a green/blue board, you'll get a green/blue board, but it might not be the exact shade it appeared to be in the picture.

Also, are you sure you want a 163? I was riding a 163 before (I'm 6'3, 165 ish), and it was fine, but now I'm riding a 158 and I like it a lot more (it's based on weight and height, not just height anymore).

Also if this is your first snowboard, make sure you know what you're getting. I don't actually see anywhere on that page where it goes over the specs, but you should see if you can find a flex rating, and if it's camber or rocker.

I actually just looked up a review, and it's 5/10 flex with a weird shape (it said it was camber between the bindings, rocker on the outside). I have no experience with that, so I can't really tell you if it'd be good to have it like that, but it would also depend what you use it for.

Do you like to just bomb down the mountain? Or do you prefer to go around and take smaller jumps etc?

Also look at flex rating on your Flow bindings and get an appropriate one as well.

Ok thanks i will do! erm i like to do both really and maybe try some park out at some point too.

Having good flex is awesome. Less stability, but makes it a lot easier to waddle, and is pretty much mandatory for any park riding.

My last 163 was a brick, but my new one has unreal flex. Even though I usually just bomb down the mountain (rather than park), I still love the flex. Just takes more control at high speeds.

http://www.arborcollective.com/snow/boards/

Also, I don't really know about Burton or what have you, but often, brands don't directly sell their equipment. For instance you can't order Arbor boards from their site, you have to find a retailer selling them. So just because you find a Burton board you like, doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to find that model in retail. I mean if you're determined I'm sure you can somewhere but, might be better to look at snowboard retailers, rather than brands websites. I could be wrong though, maybe Burton does sell their equipment online directly through their website.

Edited by Bob Loblaw

Reply to Thread