? servers

? players online

doge lovers thread

• Content Count:  4198

I should state that no one should be banned for a post. The moderator can just use their discretion as to whether or not to delete it. If one post goes unnoticed or is seen as funny in another thread, I would expect moderators to let it slide. If someone posts a picture intending to use it to derail or just give no valid input on the thread, I would expect moderators to just delete it saying "Post something constructive" or something along those lines.

That is what I meant by "choosing to delete or not", and I don't say anything about banning users over it, only deleted posts.

Yes banning is too extreme, but the purpose of the example was to show that discretion is not a great idea. If one person posts and it gets laughs, whilst another does the exact same thing and gets ignored or whatever and then gets their post deleted, it's bound to generate issues.

People in the past have bitched and moaned over the most asinine things for lord knows what reason, and having a clear ruling nips that issue in the bud. Any time throughout SG's history whereby people have been given some sort of chance to use common sense it has backfired and resulted in having to put forth precise definitions of what is and isn't allowed.

If that's not the route you want to go then so be it. I hope I am wrong and you don't have to deal with that, but I highly doubt it.

Well is this not a dedicated thread for this topic? I don't see the problem as long as this doge stuff is contained here in this thread. The only problem is if this starts to "leak" into other threads.

No, a dedicated thread would be the funny pictures thread so that all things of this nature can be funneled into there. I do not mean a thread for each and every picture 'type' people come across.

Also if you don't like what this thread is then stay away from it, lol.

If only it were that easy. Things such as these tend to leak...a lot. The reason for the previous ban on spiderman threads was that those pictures started appearing in almost every thread. People would be having a discussion and then out of nowhere someone would post the "Did someone say spiderman thread?" picture and from thereon after the thread would be completed derailed and eventually die because there was no point in continuing discussion. This isn't because of some dumb "no fun allowed xdd" attitude, but because idiots can't control themselves.

The pictures thread isn't the best example, I'll admit, but the other two I used are just about the biggest post count boosters on the forum. They require no thought or effort to contribute to and promote no discussion, yet nobody has an issue with them because they are entertained by their posts. The way people scan through those threads is the same way these threads are treated by those who find them funny.

I don't really see how they are similar other than there isn't much thought process going on when looking at them. Seeing what people in the community look like is interesting, and trying out new music doesn't really require discussion, because you just click a post, let it play and then listen. I'm not sure what parallels you are trying to draw.

I would also prefer it if these stayed out of the funny pictures thread, at least in huge numbers, as the thread was meant for sharing generally amusing pictures. If people were encouraged to post shibe, spiderman, or anything else that exists in large quantities in there, the thread will quickly get oversaturated with the same memes. Better it be, like you said, contained, in separate threads such as this.

If these types of posts were to in fact be moved to the funny pictures thread I doubt there would be an issue with oversaturation. People discovering shibe or whatever are just fads, and they will pass like anything else. Sometimes they might need a helping hand, but they all die down eventually.

• Content Count:  11501

They require no thought or effort to contribute to and promote no discussion

They absolutely do. If anything, those two were horrible examples; they provide people with new music and a sense of what others look like / them doing crazy stuff like partying, vacations, etc. It definitely has a purpose and really isn't "spamming" as you're contributing something.

Regarding moderating issues, tbh it will never be clear cut black and white. There are always going to be issues that arise that seem unfair by a group in the general public...it is what it is, not much we can really do about it. As Xeno said, we'll take into account each post that may be considered "cancerous" by leaking shit like this. IE, if somebody posts some sort of picture that's actually relative and humorous to the thread, then sure...but if it's just there to derail (or if in our eyes it's there to derail) / insult people, it will probably get removed. If it happens again, then said user will probably get banned. I'm sort of with XeNo as far as not banning people immediately for posts, but if they get warnings and then choose to not listen to them, then a ban is most certainly justified.

• Content Count:  1513

If only it were that easy. Things such as these tend to leak...a lot. The reason for the previous ban on spiderman threads was that those pictures started appearing in almost every thread. People would be having a discussion and then out of nowhere someone would post the "Did someone say spiderman thread?" picture and from thereon after the thread would be completed derailed and eventually die because there was no point in continuing discussion. This isn't because of some dumb "no fun allowed xdd" attitude, but because idiots can't control themselves.

Well, it kinda is, its as simple as don't click the thread. I also have failed to see if this has leaked into other threads, it has not and if it does the person will be warned as such, I assume. Your repetitive idea it seems is that you are worried that this will leaking into every thread like the spiderman pictures fiasco.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  4198

Well, it kinda is, its as simple as don't click the thread. I also have failed to see if this has leaked into other threads, it has not and if it does the person will be warned as such, I assume. Your repetitive idea it seems is that you are worried that this will leaking into every thread like the spiderman pictures fiasco.

"Repetitive idea"..? What..?

Did you even read my post at all?

Reply to Thread