? servers

? players online

Proposed Pc Build

• Content Count:  514

I understand the RAM situation with a 32bit OS, but I believe Vista Ultimate allows you to install it as either 32 or 64 bit. What I don't know is whether this applies to the OEM version or not. Either way, if I were to go 32 bit, I would realistically have about 3.5Gi. of RAM maximum. If I were then to Crossfire, that would be reduced to 2.5Gi.

• Content Count:  240

when you buy retail, vista comes with both the 32bit install and 64bit install

when you buy oem, it only comes as 32bit or 64bit

theres is no realistic way to get 3.5gb as u can only do 2x1Gb and 2x512Mb for 3Gb

to get 3.5Gb you would just have to buy 2x2Gb or 4x1Gb buy as the 32bit only has a max value of 4Gb, you would lose 512Mb by your gfx card and also the caches in the processor and hard drives, so it may be like 3470, etc.

you can go 64bit as you're buildin ur pc, and ATi and Asus support 64bit drivers, you would only be stuck if u bought a retail pc like HP or Dell that was 32bit, and then switchin to 64bit would prob mess things up, still mosts applications will run the same in 64bit more, some slower and some faster

realistically, you prob wont need to crossfire if u only play at 1680x1050 with the 4870, since it has enough power to get respectable fps at larger resolutions

if u want to just use 2Gb of RAM, you could go to DDR3 which has faster Mhz but costs way more, but u could call it future proofing (which is technically impossible)

I don't know much about 64 bit but I was under the impression that there were a lot of compatibility issues, with the majority of current day programs being designed for 32 bit. If this was not the case then i would have no problem running 64 bit

• Content Count:  619

If I were then to Crossfire, that would be reduced to 2.5Gi.

Waahhh Crossfire gets rid of 1GB of ram lol ????????

Alright u want a 2x2GB set of RAM (Its dirt cheap and even tho u lose 500mbs) you WILL notice a diff.

Dont go for a GX2. Also get the Q6700 its much eaiser to reach a higher clock due to 10x multiplier.

U have a crossfire mobo so get 2 x 4870 or 4870X2 or 2 x 4850 either way this should rape GX2. Also Diamond have jsut released a Unlocked version of the 4870 so if ur going water cooling (I dont reccondmend as its a shitty cheap ass all in one kit) or After market heatsink you get OC the shit outa it.

GET AIR COOLING !!! A OCZ Vendetta 2 will beat that pile of crap prebuilt hands down especially on a quad core like urs and it costs £25 lol.

Dont get a velociraptor. A Samsung Spinpoint F1 640mb or 1TB (Not the 750 or 500 as they use older 3 part platters) are faster and half the price for 3x the storage. Get one and be happy (i have the 750GB and its by no means slow just a couple of % slower than other 2.

Case is a solid choice but if ur getting super high end (u are) id get a lian-li armoursuit its tonk and cools like a bitch and its top quality. But ihave a Xaser VI which does the prior 2.

Heed my advice i did ALOT of research and these are altered mistakes of mine aswell.

ALSO USE UR OLD COPY OF XP-32 bit if not go vista 64-bit

• Content Count:  6

This will be my first time putting together a PC and was hoping for some advice. The following parts are all subject to change and any suggestions are welcome.

Budget will be approximately €2,000.

CPU: Q6600/Q9450

Mobo: Asus Maximus Formula

HDD: 300GB Velociraptor

PSU: Corsair 750W

Cooling: Swiftech H20-220 compact watercooling kit

Case: Coolermaster Cosmos S

Monitor: Samsung SM226BW 22"

RAM: OCZ Reaper 2GB PC2-9200

Graphics Card: BFG 9800 GX2

A) More Ram

2) What's the HD speed?

C) Where's my FSB at?

4) Killer graphics card, outta be a fortune for this thing though.

A) Did you read anything other than the 1st post?

2) If you don' know the speed of a Raptor drive, I don't know why you are giving me "advice".

C) Wtf does that have to do with anything?

4) Once again, this has been changed since my original post

• Content Count:  240

ur pc build will work, as the max you will reach if 1680x1050 with a 22", even though i recommend 24" because of the 1920x1200 resolution which will allow full-screen bluray viewing

and also if u want a larger multiplier on ur processor, u could just get the EVGA 750i FTW motherboard (but its Nforce) which has an unlocked multiplier on the cpu and costs only around 110

heres something i would build with €2000 and using an ATi platform

Case: Antec P182 (€95) looks stylish and can be used in an office, does not have the standing-out look for the Antec 1200, but still has decent cooling, but they both cost nearly the same

PSU: OCZ ModXStream 780w (€100) has 4 12v rails with 80%

Mobo: Asus Maximus II Formula (€170) good choice overall

CPU: Q9450 (€210) may has 8x multi, but it can reach higher clocks with lower temps

CPU Cooling: TRUE w/ Scythe Ultra-Kaze 2000 (€60)

RAM: OCZ Flex DDR2 1200, 4x1Gb (€125) good if u plan on wc later, which u r interested in, since u spendin 2000 already, and have high perf parts, all the parts have to be balanced, with a fast cpu, comes fast ram, with other fast parts, then an excellent cooler for them, and as u prob wont to have a quiet pc, i do recommend wc

HDD: anything with 7200 rpm and above

this is your PC, you do not want to get buyer's remorse, if you feel like some certain part is something you would want to have in the PC, get it, since you wont like it when you arent able to run a game, etc just because you're missing those few extra MHz or GB's

my pc cost €1500 and its enough to run any old game and new games, so im okay

its something like ur first car, except now u have the money to choose what you want, not want ur parents think u want, so take ur time and dont rush into anything

• Content Count:  50

That's a nice budget o.O

If your mobo wasn't so tiny, you could buy this like I did :]

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106069 - CPU Fan

I found a random review about it! :thumbup1:

The reason it blows a good amount of air on the memory is because it is literally on top of my left ram slot so I had to slip in the ram chip before installing. It also covers up a good chunk of my mobo so much so I even had a bit of trouble slipping in my PSU but that was mostly because of my case. Overall I would recommend it as a heatsink and a weapon.

Reply to Thread