? servers

? players online

New Language?

• Content Count:  1980

That's why I'd pick Latin.. For medicine.. Or at least the terminology. Not every day you meet someone who knows Latin either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since I live in NY I went with Spanish. That and I look like a mexican

• Content Count:  5108

That's why I'd pick Latin.. For medicine.. Or at least the terminology. Not every day you meet someone who knows Latin either.

I would suggest you learn Spanish instead, especially because in the area you live in, you will need it. I learned only the slightest bit of Spanish my Freshman and Sophomore year and it helps me quite a bit everyday.

• Content Count:  3998

Probably Spanish due to it's rising usefulness in the US. I'd definitely go back and take Spanish instead of Italian, took Italian for 5 years and gained very little from it.

• Content Count:  6242

Surprise no one suggested this sooner, but a programming language. Apparently they want to start teaching it in schools like foreign languages. I started with HTML when I was 14-15 and just branched out from there. Now I know HTML, JS, PHP, MySQL, C++, Python, Lua, and a few specialty languages that are used in specific programs.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  2167

yo I took Latin for 6 years and I can say 100% that its not worth it. It is considered one of the more difficult western languages and it isn't nearly as useful as they will tell you or as fun as a modern language. The grammar is a pain in the ass and has pretty much no application outside of speaking Latin (which you will never use, trust me).

Also, what Joe says is correct, Danish IS close to English as are all the Scandinavian languages because modern English was heavily influenced by the Vikings. If you want a language that's extremely intuitive for an English speaker and don't care if it doesn't have much use (other than practicing learning a language and having fun while doing it) then one of those languages might be worth looking into. Then you too can feel like an idiot while Joe explains the multitude of "A"s and "O"s in Danish.

For modern practical use I would say Spanish or Chinese would serve you well. Companies are looking to hire people who speak those. Of course, if you are looking at a specific job, you should look into what language is most important there.

but hey, if you want to memorize things like this feel free to do so

d869417b14ebb2e54a1c00722567d643.jpg

pst... the nouns are worse

• Content Count:  1064

I would suggest you learn Spanish instead, especially because in the area you live in, you will need it. I learned only the slightest bit of Spanish my Freshman and Sophomore year and it helps me quite a bit everyday.

Since I live in NY I went with Spanish. That and I look like a mexican

Yeah I was either thinking Spanish or an asian language such as Japanese or mandarin. Tbh there isn't much of a big Spanish speaking population where I live. In fact it's more Asian and middle eastern.

• Content Count:  5063

Danish is considered an exotic language

They say the same about swedish

If your going for medicine Latin is deffinately what you should choose, think lots of different drugs or in Latin or something :p

Edited by floffypus

• Content Count:  660

Since you are considering latin i'll give you my view. I had 6 years of latin and enjoyed it thoroughly, that being said. I don't feel you should study it if your only goal is medicine. Dirk showed you the master table. The good thing about latin is that it's very strict, which makes it easy. In school you take 2 years studying all the grammer. And then you are done.

But to come to the point. Latin will have no use for you in medicine. Sure alot of the terms are in latin. But do you think you see the word for a muscle when studying latin ? No, nor do you need any of the grammer, medicine is just words. The reason you should study Latin is if the literature interests you and that is the ONLY reason to study latin. I loved reading Cicero, but in todays age you can read a translation.

That being said i think Italian would work, alot of the words cross over ( my latin teacher spoke italian and greek ) and it's not a dead language so it's easier to learn. How would you rather learn, studying words and reading a grammatical book. Or actively speaking and listening to the language.

I would like to add though pick a language that interests you, not because you are going to do medicine.

Reply to Thread