? servers

? players online

Education Question

• Content Count:  501

I'm currently a Junior, and plan on applying to all of the IV league schools (preferably Columbia).

My grades :

11H English : 96 avg overall

AP USH : 93 avg overall

Chem Regents : 94 avg overall

Alg2Trig : 96 avg overall

These are my averages for the first marking period, I plan on literally studying for 6 hours a night for these classes for the rest of the year, which will most likely allow me to get perfect grades (100s) as averages in those classes, putting my GPA extremely close to 100.

In addition I'm taking a computer engineering / programming class, have self taught myself German and French, and have been playing Varsity sports for 5 years (will be 6 years after my senior year.

If I score extremely high on my SAT, etc..., do you think I have a fair shot of being accepted into an IV league school? I am questioning it, because I really haven't taken a challenging course list (not many AP classes).

• Content Count:  202

If it's not too late to sign up for AP classes then see if you can squeeze some in. I'm not sure how much it helps but essentially the schools are just looking to see if you can commit and excel in harder tasks. Aside from that, extra curriculars are HUGE for any college that you're trying to apply to. It doesn't have to be a sport, in fact preferably it would be something that relates to your interests/what you think you're going to be studying. With that will (hopefully) come with some nice stories and experiences that you can have for your essays that you send out.

Another big thing that colleges are looking for are leadership experiences. This doesn't mean you have to be the leader of your debate team or anything, it can be as simple as taking charge of a group project and doing really well on it. Ideally this and your other outside of the classroom experiences should stick with whoever is reading your essay; you have to make yourself stand out from all the other kids with good grades.

• Like 1

If it's not too late to sign up for AP classes then see if you can squeeze some in. I'm not sure how much it helps but essentially the schools are just looking to see if you can commit and excel in harder tasks. Aside from that, extra curriculars are HUGE for any college that you're trying to apply to. It doesn't have to be a sport, in fact preferably it would be something that relates to your interests/what you think you're going to be studying. With that will (hopefully) come with some nice stories and experiences that you can have for your essays that you send out.

Another big thing that colleges are looking for are leadership experiences. This doesn't mean you have to be the leader of your debate team or anything, it can be as simple as taking charge of a group project and doing really well on it. Ideally this and your other outside of the classroom experiences should stick with whoever is reading your essay; you have to make yourself stand out from all the other kids with good grades.

Well, I am not really a big fan of working with others, mainly for the reason that I typically will do all the work while they fool around. However, today actually, I am starting a blogging site. I'm going to have my own domain, and will most likely write 1-3 articles (around 500-1,000 words each) a week. If it reaches a significant amount of visitors a month (like 1-5 thousand), I was going to include that in my application essay.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1403

Well, I am not really a big fan of working with others, mainly for the reason that I typically will do all the work while they fool around. However, today actually, I am starting a blogging site. I'm going to have my own domain, and will most likely write 1-3 articles (around 500-1,000 words each) a week. If it reaches a significant amount of visitors a month (like 1-5 thousand), I was going to include that in my application essay.

This is kind of off topic to the thread but once you make the website post the link and ill take a look at it!

• Like 1

• Content Count:  202

Even if it doesn't it still would be worth it to add into your essay as long as you can BS it and make it sound awesome lol.

Also, if you don't like any of the clubs and stuff that your school offers, start your own. It can literally just be you and 1 friend, and it doesn't matter what it is. Putting down that you started your own thing with like minded people and got it recognized by the school is huge in application essays.

Never think that an experience you've had is too minor or unimportant; you can always find a way to make it seem better on paper. If you don't like working in groups and often times find yourself doing all the work, tell the story of how you lead a demoralized and lazy group of teenagers to create the highest graded presentation in the class or something (make sure that last part is truthful). Don't be afraid to stretch the truth a little bit on things that the school has to take your word for. Like, they don't need to know nor can they find out if you literally did all the work yourself... so instead, say that you became the group leader and delegated positions to everyone, then wrap it up with a nice successful ending.

• Content Count:  4441

do you think I have a fair shot of being accepted into an IV league school?

Ivy League* and I think you have a chance but why not pick a mid-high tier school? They'll definitely give you a scholarship if those grades you gave us are actually legitimate. Ivy League schools are pretty fucking expensive and also you might miss out on an actual College experience.

Ivy League* and I think you have a chance but why not pick a mid-high tier school? They'll definitely give you a scholarship if those grades you gave us are actually legitimate. Ivy League schools are pretty fucking expensive and also you might miss out on an actual College experience.

When applying for a job, you will have the advantage if you go to an IV league school > someone who went to a mediocre school

• Content Count:  4441

When applying for a job, you will have the advantage if you go to an IV league school > someone who went to a mediocre school

You probably should try Saline University in Intravenous, FL. They have awesome an awesome Composition course. I'm pretty sure they're an IV league school. For real though, calling anything that isn't considered Ivy League mediocre is such a fucking straw man argument. With the grades you have why are you asking for our opinion on such a simple topic. If you want to not be as you believe mediocre, then apply to the Ivy League schools of your choice and good luck. There is countless issues with those kind of schools and it's honestly IMO is not worth the hassle and money. I read over your original post again and was wondering what your Grade on the Trigonometry Regents and the Chemistry Class were, cause it almost looks like you cherry picked good grades.

Edited by All Ts

You probably should try Saline University in Intravenous, FL. They have awesome an awesome Composition course. I'm pretty sure they're an IV league school. For real though, calling anything that isn't considered Ivy League mediocre is such a fucking straw man argument. With the grades you have why are you asking for our opinion on such a simple topic. If you want to not be as you believe mediocre, then apply to the Ivy League schools of your choice and good luck. There is countless issues with those kind of schools and it's honestly IMO is not worth the hassle and money. I read over your original post again and was wondering what your Grade on the Trigonometry Regents and the Chemistry Class were, cause it almost looks like you cherry picked good grades.

Firstly, I did not say any school that wasn't IVY league was mediocre, secondly, considering its the beginning of the school year I haven't taken the trig regents yet, and thirdly I don't care if you think I cherry picked my grades. Have a nice day lol

Reply to Thread