? servers

? players online

World in Conflict

• Content Count:  602

Massive Entertainment is a Swedish video game company based in Malmö, Sweden. The company is fully owned by Sierra Entertainment. They are best known for the Ground Control series of real-time tactics video games. Their latest project is World in Conflict, which has been described in interviews on the company's official website as a further development of the real-time tactics gameplay formula from the Ground Control games, but set in our world, during the late Cold War. It has also been described as being the largest project for Massive Entertainment so far, with a huge budget. The game was released on 18 September 2007 and won wide critical acclaim, including nominations for one of the best games of 2007.

On 6 August, Activision Blizzard put up Massive Entertainment for sale after canceling the publishing of World in Conflict: Soviet Assault. The future of the World in Conflict franchise is now up in the air.

Fucking Vivendi, or now known as Activision Blizzard, put Massive for sale after they made a huge shit load of money from WIC... I really can't understand why they would selll them. Hopefully they won't be bought by EA.

Also they canceled Soviet Assault which is just a port from the PC to the Console, and I think they did good with that move, because RTS games aren't made to be played with a shitty xbox/ps3 controller.

Influences

The game's designers have cited the 1984 film Red Dawn as one of their key influences [1]. The film's main premise is the invasion of America by Soviet and Central American troops. Echoes of the film can be seen in the initial paratroop landings (though in the film they happen in Colorado) and in the use of civilian transports to disguise a Soviet invasion force; again, this differs slightly from the film.

Tom Clancy's novel Red Storm Rising is likely to have some elements drawn from it; as it depicts a conventional war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact in West Germany, though much of the action takes place at sea. An added factor was that the co-author of the book, Larry Bond, was the main consultant for the World in Conflict team.

Another influence for the game, according to issue 7 of the WiC Journal, are the first-person shooter game series Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, and how the games give the player a relatively small role in a big conflict and will command small numbers of units at a time rather than whole hordes. The developers, still according to the journal, have also looked to the games Battlefield 2 and Counter-Strike: Source for inspiration. The game play is reminiscent of Conflict Zone, as the camera angles and basic troops are similar. The plot is also reminiscent of Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2, featuring a Soviet invasion of the US.

World in Conflict has been positively received. It topped weekly sales charts in North America, Germany and Australia in the week it was released [20]. It has received "generally favorable reviews" from game critics according to the review aggregator Metacritic[19], where the game has an average score of 89%. Gamespot, a popular online game site, called the game "the studio's masterwork". They gave it 95 points out of 100[13] and the editor's choice award. The game also received the editor's choice award from IGN.com [14] and the Australian gaming magazine PC PowerPlay, as well as PC Zone's classic award[16]. PC Gamer US awarded the game its editor's choice award, as well as naming it the 2007 RTS game of the year.

Prior to its initial release in September 2007, World in Conflict received several awards from its E3 presentation in 2007.

* IGN: Best PC Strategy Game, Best Strategy Game (All Platforms), Best Of E3 2007[21][22]

* Gamespot: Best Strategy Game Of E3, E3'07 Editors Choice Award[23]

* GameTrailers.com: Best Strategy Game Of E3[24]

* Game Critics: E3 2007 Best Strategy Game, The Best Of E3 07 Winner[25]

The game was played in the 2007 Cyberathlete Professional League (CPL) World Tour.[26]

Edited by AndreiD

• Content Count:  2645

That's not answering his question, he knows Westwood developed C&C. :huh:

Shut up idiot, what I tried to say was that Westwood are not part of this, since they were bought out by EA and now EA owns Westwood

• Content Count:  602

You guys should check the multiplayer video I posted on page 2 (the last post), if that isn't intense, then what is? In the first game : 2 nukes, in the second game: 1 nuke

:d

• Content Count:  57

I absolutely love this game (though I can't seem to find my disk at the moment) I played for quite sometime and got to the top 1000 on the leaderboards. The only problem is that I played it way too much in a short amount of time. I ended up doing everything there was to do and took a break. I still play from time to time, and I'm really looking forward to Soviet Assault (Soviet campaign:biggrin: ).

Reply to Thread