? servers

? players online

[Myth: BUSTED] December 21st, 2012

• Content Count:  868

Some Christians believe the world will end in 2012, linking that magic number with the Book of Revelations. Some believe that the big guy in the sky will come down in 2012 or something like that based upon it being approximately 2000 years after Jesus' birth, some believe Christianity will end. I'm not an expert in Christianity, I speak from what I know and what I've heard. Consensus suggests that something will happen in 2012. Whether that's purely Christian or whether it's bible-thumpers with belief that the Mayans are right and correlate that with Christian texts, I don't know. Don't care frankly, I'm saying that religion or belief of any kind isn't going to tell me that something major is going to happen in 2012. Not Christianity, not the Mayans, nothing.

Fact and/or evidence however... that's a different story.

I don't believe anyone is arguing here... at least I'm not. I'm sorry if you were.

• Content Count:  174

Some Christians believe the world will end in 2012, linking that magic number with the Book of Revelations. Some believe that the big guy in the sky will come down in 2012 or something like that based upon it being approximately 2000 years after Jesus' birth, some believe Christianity will end. I'm not an expert in Christianity, I speak from what I know and what I've heard. Consensus suggests that something will happen in 2012. Whether that's purely Christian or whether it's bible-thumpers with belief that the Mayans are right and correlate that with Christian texts, I don't know. Don't care frankly, I'm saying that religion or belief of any kind isn't going to tell me that something major is going to happen in 2012. Not Christianity, not the Mayans, nothing.

I don't believe anyone is arguing here... at least I'm not. I'm sorry if you were.

"Some Christians believe the world will end in 2012..." Some athiest's believe the world will end in 2012, some agnostic's believe that the world will end in 2012, some Indian/Black/White/Chinese/Russian/Purple/Orange person believes the world will end in 2012. Whats your point?

-Aaron-

"Some Christians believe the world will end in 2012..." Some athiest's believe the world will end in 2012, some agnostic's believe that the world will end in 2012, some Indian/Black/White/Chinese/Russian/Purple/Orange person believes the world will end in 2012. Whats your point?

-Aaron-

I suppose you'd have to read between the lines to find it, but my point is that debating belief is pointless. I think you've pointed out my point quite well before you've even asked the question. I'm not going to change someone's belief, nobody's going to change mine.

Things get confusing when they take dates that are never pointed out officially in religious texts, and use events written in religious texts to connect them. It's the way some people choose to interpret scriptures, and because of this you'll find even two folks under the same religion that can debate things of that faith. Because you don't believe 2012 is of significance to Christianity, doesn't mean that absolutely no one else of the same faith does.

This is the very foundation of why debating over belief doesn't work well, and why I don't really want to do it. OP asked what I thought, I responded.

• Content Count:  1938

Don't care frankly, I'm saying that religion or belief of any kind isn't going to tell me that something major is going to happen in 2012. Not Christianity, not the Mayans, nothing.

I am so glad that there is another person here that doesn't blindly follow religion or belief. I mean come on people; the Mayan Calender was based off of mathematical calculations of astronomical orbits and is as accurate as the Gregorian Calender. I don't have time for belief in mathematical calculations or scientific observations. Science is such a silly religion.

: D

• Content Count:  602

christianity won't end, but the age of pices, the fish (jesus fish, see the significance?), will, which is significant because we are going into the age of aquarius, which has something to do with being more scientific and the truth being reieled, idk i saw it in that zietgiest thing

I am so glad that there is another person here that doesn't blindly follow religion or belief. I mean come on people; the Mayan Calender was based off of mathematical calculations of astronomical orbits and is as accurate as the Gregorian Calender. I don't have time for belief in mathematical calculations or scientific observations. Science is such a silly religion.

: D

The Mayans were advanced enough to develop a calender that worked such a long time ago. I give them credit for that. That's math and vision(literal vision) at work. Here's your science at work, in modern times.

The Long Count calender(the one that 'predicts' something will happen on 2012) works like this. 0.0.0.0.0 represents the 11th of August, 3114 BCE. Each slot on the calender holds up to 20 numbers, 0-19. So 0.0.0.0.19 is 19 days. 0.0.0.1.0 is 20 days. 0.0.1.0.0 is about one year. 0.1.0.0.0 is about 20 years. 1.0.0.0.0 is about 400 years. The 21st of December, 2012, happens to read 13.0.0.0.0 in Long Count.

Problem? Why 13 on the last slot? The other slots go up to 19 or near 19, why is the last slot cut short? Scholars are still debating as to whether or not that's when the Mayan calender actually ends or if that last slot goes higher than 13. If indeed it is supposed to go higher than 13, that effectively destroys the entire doomsday theory. There isn't enough information to know for sure at this point.

Furthermore, Long Count was developed only because their circular calender could only hold 52 years, and it was not suitable to record anything historical. I very much doubt that because they've chosen to 'end' a calender developed out of a need to record historical dates at a certain date, that something mystical is going to happen. It's too fantastical for me.

Look at what happens when other calenders end. In Gregorian, our calender ends on the 31st of December. Does the world end every 31st of December? Depends on where you live for that mystical winter solstice, living up north certainly will make you feel like the world is ending every year from the cold. :biggrin:

Gregorian simply rolls over and resets itself. Hell, even the circular Mayan calender resets itself after 52 years. Where's the big disaster every 52 years? We've been missing out on that too. So why is Long Count different? Lack of actual evidence doesn't permit me to believe that the world is going to end simply because a calender ends, especially when there's precedence to fall back on with every other calender in existence rolling over.

Prophecies about the world ending have been around forever, and we've been though many of them already. Remember 2000 AD? Remember the 5th of May, 2005? All asthetically beautiful numbers by the way, just like 21/12/2012.

In fact there is more evidence to suggest that historically, the Mayans believed that something positive was going to happen on 2012 rather than negative. Us modern day people like negative, it sells. Look at how many modern people have been shot and killed trying to spread a message of peace and harmony. Lennon said "give peace a chance", and look where that kind of thinking got him. Look at how many negative stories run on news stations and web sites about celebrities as opposed to positive ones. Look at how many news stories run on death and destruction as opposed to positive ones. Look at how many movies come out every year dealing with negativity like the end of the world, physical conflict, fantastical destruction and things like that. We like our negativity.

Reply to Thread