? servers

? players online

won't be here for a while

• Content Count:  830

I've done a reformat to my comp and ever since I can't get my internet to work... I called my ISP (comcast) and after being on hold for a good 20 mins they told me there was nothing they could do because I need an IP address or something, which can only be retrieved from whoever made my comp (or something like that), and DELL put my comp together, and they said my warranty is expired with so they can't do jack about it.

Again, that's how I understood it... I don't really know how it all works. Please excuse my lack of clarity.

But this raises some questions... when the guy came in to setup my cable connection, he didn't leave an installation CD or anything. Aren't I supposed to get one? I did when I had a DSL connection. And, if I have an account with Comcast, can't I set up my connection manually by providing the details? Their tech support didn't even touch on this and I forgot to ask (I'd do it myself but I don't know my account name or password). Also, if I build a comp myself (which I am planning on doing), how the hell am I supposed to get my internet running then?

Am I missing something here? Is there anything I can do? Comcast has the worst tech support ever, I swear.

Any help from the tech guys would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Om

• Content Count:  1755

Well they didn't leave me a CD either when I got mine installed. Check your network/internet card maybe something happened to it? That was wrong with my computer but I had an old one lying around so I just tried it out and it worked.

• Content Count:  240

Hm, strange. I'm no expert or anything but if your ISP has given you a username and password, which is usually the case, you could try this:

Start > Control Panel > Network and Internet Connections > Internet Options > Connections > Setup

After setting it up, go to Start > Connect to .

Then enter your username and password and click connect.

I'm using XP and this is how I set up my connection (after reformat).

contempt

• Content Count:  2645

I called my ISP (comcast) and after being on hold for a good 20 mins they told me there was nothing they could do because I need an IP address or something, which can only be retrieved from whoever made my comp

Wait.. I thought it was the ISP who give you the IP adress, but why would computer manufacturers give you an IP adress? That doesn't make sense...

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, it's just a little confusing.

• Content Count:  1615

its not really ip i dnt think my grandma had a problem like it, dont you have an email adress 123456@comcast.net with a password, this is for your isp and it is what verifies that your house is using your modem and the such

if this gets off, which has happened to me with qwest you have to reenter it or call them and they usually can do it for you but i have dsl not cable so i dont know how ppoe is different between the 2

• Content Count:  135

i think they meant they need your "MAC" address? (Goto Start->Run, enter "cmd" and hit Enter... type "ipconfig/all", that should list the MAC addresses of all your NIC cards including wireless)...

I have Roadrunner and in order to "authorize" my computer, I had to goto their authorization website, it read the MAC address of my NIC so only my computer would work on the cable. I then "spoofed" it on my router so my two other laptops can get online.

I dont think they would ask for your IP address even if it's static since they are the ones who provide it.

• Content Count:  75

yea, i'm no tech guy, but i think mew may be right about that MAC address. i remember having to do that when i lived on res in my university.. i had to send them my mac address to get it authorized so i can use the net.

if it's not that, did u install all the relevant drivers and stuff? ( i remember i had to install internet connection drivers for my computer when i formated it, or else i couldnt connect to the internet no matter what)

if none of those work, maybe u can give us more details of how u can't connect to the net.. do u get any error messages?

• Content Count:  8

I think it's your MAC address you need as well, since it doesn't change and is computer specific. Your IP is assigned when connected to a network if I remember correctly, and it can change (usually done when repairing a connection). I won't say how to find it because people already did though lol.

• Content Count:  135

I asked my coworker who has comcast in NJ and he directed me here: http://www.comcast.com/images/ImageLibrary/FAQ/PDF/Activation%20Guide.pdf

If it's the same NIC you been using b4 you reformatted, the MAC should be the same (it's NIC specific, not computer).. make sure it is working, connect the network cable from the modem to the NIC (the lights on the NIC should blink, if not, the NIC is not working). Also make sure you have a Local Area Connection setup for your NIC card that's enabled and set to DHCP... That pdf link says there should be a installation/setup cd.. might have to get them to send you one. but if your NIC is working, get the MAC address and try calling them again.. you still should be able to get on their network to activate.

Reply to Thread