? servers

? players online

HELP PLEASE

• Content Count:  3736

I tried to plugg a 8800 GTS on my computer and as you all know I have a shitty system! ( I had a 8600GTS) Well when I turned on my computer it mad a loud beeeeping noise. I though it was the mobo because of insufficeint power(300W psu), I expected it might do that but I figured Id just turn if all off and it would be fine....

I WAS WRONG...I put the 8600GTS back in and now when I turn it on it doesnt go anywhere...just stays at the dell first screen.....

My USB pluggs dont seem to delivering any power to my hardware cause I tried to plug in a keyboard to get in the setup menu or the startup menu but the keyboard doesnt even come on all the lights are of on it...

I have no clue what to do and I suspect i might have burned something....

Any suggestion would be appreciated before the fucking geeksquad steals 200 bucks from me!

• Content Count:  2959

That screaming noise was your videocard letting you know that it wasn't getting enough juice. I'm surprised your 300w PSU even had the PCIE power plug your 8800GTS needed. My videocards remind me to plug the power in just about every time I clean them, surprised i'm not deaf yet.

You shouldn't have burned anything out, not having enough juice won't cause a standards compliant computer to suicide it just causes it to make a really horrible noise. Dells are unfortunately known for not being very standards compliant, hence the phrase "dude you're going to hell". Their reputation comes mostly from their PSUs which are known for... well... lets just say that there's a sneaking suspicion that Dell gets their power supplies OEMed by Allied.

Performance (40% of the final score)

The Allied does earn a few words of praise here, believe it or don't. Capacitor selection, while admittedly cheap, was adequate to allow this power supply to control ripple quite well. It's just too bad they didn't help the unit regulate better, and... oh yeah... keep it from exploding. Out comes the sledge, and I hereby smack the Allied with a 3.

(emphasis NOT mine)

What part of florida are you in? If you're anywhere near orlando/winterpark I can fix it for a damn sight less than the geek squad.

Edited by Shadowex3

• Content Count:  3736

Im in palm beach! I could possibly get to you but Id like to know if I can fix it myself....anyone has a suggestion...why is not going past the Dell screen!

• Content Count:  17

you could check that nothing else (like your RAM) came loose while you were changing out cards, or maybe you have to reset your CMOS settings (there should be a little jumper on your motherboard labeled "CMOS", "BIOS", "SETUP", something like that- just slide it over a peg, turn it on until it beeps and says it's reset, then put it back. make sure you're powered off before you move it though). But as Shadowex3 said, I'm surprised that little power supply could even get out enough to run the 8600.

"dell screen" is not very specific. is it getting past POST but hanging before the windows loading bar screen or is it hanging during POST? Need moar specifics. Also you'd probably spend like $60 in gas to get all the way to the north side of orlando where I am for me to fix that thing for you.

Your safest bet at this point, other than making sure all the cords are plugged in, is to start easter egging. Swap out the power supply from another computer and see if it works. If it does your PSU is dead, if it doesn't something else is dead. The geek squad's literally going to do exactly that and then reformat your computer and put a ton of shitware on it.

[edit]

Just for the record if it IS the power supply the problem can be fixed very cheaply with a PSU that you can keep transferring from comp to comp for the next 5+ years, I'm actually running multiple hard drives, an overclocked quadcore, and GTX 260 core 216 (soon to be GTX 275, evga stepup) on a 620 watt power supply. Corsairs are built like tanks and quite frankly I've never heard of one failing when not abused.

Seeing as how we're both in florida though I do need to ask 1 question: Do you have EVERYTHING on surge protectors? Central Florida is the lightning capitol of the world and you're bound to get a lot of that even as far south as you are.

Edited by Shadowex3

• Content Count:  3440

Does your Dell computer have the 4 lights labeled either 1,2,3,4 or a,b,c,d that cycle through when you power it on? If so what if any are lit when it hangs?

Also as probably previously mentioned verify that everything is seated properly. That the RAM, HD, Video, etc are all securely seated into their perspective slots.

Is it possible that you fried things.. well yes.. however not super likely.

Most Nvidia cards will beep quite loudly if they require PCIE power connectors and the additional power connector is not plugged in. I have overlooked this myself on a few occasions.

"quite loudly" is an understatement. I decribe it was a scream for a reason >.

There is NO way to mistake that noise for ANYTHING else. Except maybe someone murdering something very gruesomely.

• Content Count:  4960

If your board and peripherals are lighting up but the machine isn't booting, you should make sure that all the power connections to the motherboard are secure and that you haven't missed one. If they aren't both connected and seated well, the board lights up but doesn't boot. Even with everything properly connected your motherboard will not boot untill you clear CMOs. This resets it to its default settings, and from there you can boot and get into BIOS and reconfigure your system.

BTW, why the 8800? Everyone knows how beast that card is regarding power. With a 300W you can easily setup a 1GB HD 4650, 9500 GT, or 9600 GSO. I'm pretty unsure on a 512MB 4670 though.

Edited by Coffee Crisp

andre: he's got a DELL 300w, which means it might even be a 200w with a new sticker. If it was a PC P&P or a Corsair or something I'd say it really WAS a 300watter but dell...

• Content Count:  4960

andre: he's got a DELL 300w, which means it might even be a 200w with a new sticker. If it was a PC P&P or a Corsair or something I'd say it really WAS a 300watter but dell...

But... but...

DELL IS AWESOME!!!

*Andre1028 gets mauled by a large quantity of PC geeks.

Reply to Thread