? servers

? players online

IBM thinkpad

• Content Count:  2668

ok me and my dad were cleaning the basement and i found a IBM thinkpad (laptop). its old and needs to be fixed and i am gonna fix it. this is my first PC fixing and i thought "Why not see if SG will help me" so here i am. Ask me question about it and ill try to give answer.I haven't opened it yet cause i dont have a screwdriver small enough but i can get the PC card and its 56K and ITU V.92 standered. thats all

• Content Count:  1082

Not worth it... for starters, laptops use different hardware from Desktops... you cant take and Intel Core 2 Duo from a PC and slap it into a laptop... you have to buy the special mobile version of that said hardware, From Graphics cards down to RAM. You'd have to find the mobile versions of what ever hardware that laptop will use, and most likely those are no longer in production.

• Content Count:  3391

Not worth it... for starters, laptops use different hardware from Desktops... you cant take and Intel Core 2 Duo from a PC and slap it into a laptop... you have to buy the special mobile version of that said hardware, From Graphics cards down to RAM. You'd have to find the mobile versions of what ever hardware that laptop will use, and most likely those are no longer in production.

Most graphics cards on older laptops, and a lot of modern ones, cannot be swapped out. They are built into the motherboard.

What's the model of the laptop? There might be some guides on how to take it apart (it's not always as easy as unscrewing it and having a look inside.)

• Content Count:  166

ibm thinkpads, (especially pre- t31 series) are notoriously difficult to repair. The other issue you will run into is that thinkpad's generally are not upgradeable, you can increase the ram (withen a bios limitation) and the hard drive space, but everything else is fixed at that model's design. I will have to say though, you can take a 6 year old thinkpad that works, install a recent linux distro, and it will make a great web browseing machine (some of the 12" models work better then any recent "netbook").

• Content Count:  123

You'll have more fun blowing it up. IBMs are headaches when it comes to repairing them and hard to upgrade. They're business laptops (although now Lenovos suck), which unfortunately means for you that you will have a tough time taking it apart.

Reply to Thread