? servers

? players online

$1500 to spend on a new computer

• Content Count:  2959

Antec 900's a good case if you are going to buy one online, it makes a nice starter case for build virgins. Less blood than others.

Heres what I'm gonna get, the link prob won't work so I'll try to get screenshots

Total comes to $1,373 - let me know if the link doesn't work

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/Sh...mit=ChangeItem

And @ Shadow, this rig doesn't seem too bad does it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227146

If you get exactly what I suggested you'll actually be better off overall than that prebuilt unit because you'll have a very nice heatsink and soundcard along with a much more reliable motherboard and probably a best-named videocard with a decent warranty.

If you want to show us stuff without pasting a billion links your best bet is to use newegg's wishlist feature to make a public wishlist and try sharing THAT with us.

Last thing: I know it's tempting but if you listen to absolutely nothing else any of us has said DO NOT GET A CRAPPY POWER SUPPLY. Everything else can go to hell but do not buy a power supply that isn't from Corsair, Seasonic, or PC Power and Cooling preferrably the Corsairs we've mentioned. It's the only part that can take out other parts with it when it fails and it's the only part that can and will kill you. Crappy power supplies are the reason many people don't work on Dells, you get zapped by what SHOULD have been a cold wire.

• Content Count:  464

Antec 900's a good case if you are going to buy one online, it makes a nice starter case for build virgins. Less blood than others.

If you get exactly what I suggested you'll actually be better off overall than that prebuilt unit because you'll have a very nice heatsink and soundcard along with a much more reliable motherboard and probably a best-named videocard with a decent warranty.

If you want to show us stuff without pasting a billion links your best bet is to use newegg's wishlist feature to make a public wishlist and try sharing THAT with us.

Last thing: I know it's tempting but if you listen to absolutely nothing else any of us has said DO NOT GET A CRAPPY POWER SUPPLY. Everything else can go to hell but do not buy a power supply that isn't from Corsair, Seasonic, or PC Power and Cooling preferrably the Corsairs we've mentioned. It's the only part that can take out other parts with it when it fails and it's the only part that can and will kill you. Crappy power supplies are the reason many people don't work on Dells, you get zapped by what SHOULD have been a cold wire.

Well I'm typing this post for the second time because the system logged me out because I was inactive for so long because I was typing, and then I lost the post because I had to log back in to post, but then I couldn't get back to my message which is kind of lame, so I guess this time I will copy my post before I submit...

I can't post my items on a wishlist because for some reason, newegg doesn't allow combo deals to be put on a wishlist, and half of the things I am getting are combo's so I guess I will just post them.

And @ Shadow, I really wanted to get the CoolerMaster Haf932 because of it's awesome air flow, but does Coolermaster make bad PSU's? Because it comes bundled with a Coolermaster 900W PSU and you didn't reccomend them....

Anyways here is what I am getting:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. XFX MBN790IUL9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Bundled With

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail

for $332.98

I replaced these two VVVVVV because the 790i was cheaper

ASUS Striker II Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8500 - Retail

for $374.98

-------------------------------------------------------------------

2. COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Bundled With

COOLER MASTER UCP RS900-AAAAA3 900W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Power Supply - Retail

for $287.97

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

Bundled With

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D - Retail

for $329.00

Replaced these two VVVVVVVwith the money I saved on the motherboard because I really wanted a GTX 275

XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video ... - Retail

Crucial Ballistix 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL3KIT25664TG1608 - OEM

for $295.99

----------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM

Bundled With

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM

for $204.98

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

5. ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Fan Cooler - Retail

$40.99

With clip support kit +$7.99 (It is automatically included, so I guess I need it?)

6. OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound - Retail

$5.99

7. APC P74 4 Feet 7 Outlets 490 Power Surge Protector - Retail

$9.99

8. Rosewill RTK-002 Anti-Static Wrist Strap - Retail

Item #: N82E16899261005

$3.49

------------------------------------------

Total comes to:

$1,273.37

Cool, I guess.... (now for a monitor, lol)

Edited by Finzz

• Content Count:  1000

QFT. Antec has good airflow, but it's getting old and ugly. CoolerMaster's Storm and HAF series are just as good, if not, better and looks way better. I currently use the CoolerMaster Storm Sniper and it has TWO 200mm fans, instead of one 200mm fan. You can control the speed of the fans with a built in dial next to the power button. This is really handy necause i turn it down when I'm not gaming.

QFT. Antec has good airflow, but it's getting old and ugly. CoolerMaster's Storm and HAF series are just as good, if not, better and looks way better. I currently use the CoolerMaster Storm Sniper and it has TWO 200mm fans, instead of one 200mm fan. You can control the speed of the fans with a built in dial next to the power button. This is really handy necause i turn it down when I'm not gaming.

What do you think about the Storm Sniper vs. the HAF? I don't think there are knobs to change the fan speed on the HAF, but couldn't you just get a program for that?

Also, what do you think about my build? are there any bad brands that you think I should stay away from? I'm getting everything from newegg?

Edited by Finzz

I can't comment on your PSU, but I would trust Cooler Master. They make really high quality components.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think your Zalman CNPS9700 comes with thermal paste. But that fan I know for a fact isn't the best and is LOUD. I recommend the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202007. OCZ Vendetta 2. It has bad reviews on Newegg.com, but if you google it and check the reviews, it usually comes out top 3.

Your choice thermal paste isn't the best. I would recommend the Artic Silver 5, Arctic Cooling MX-2, Noctua NT-H1 or the Zalman ZM-STG1. (Double check to make sure the heatsink you are getting comes with or without thermal paste first.)

As for the operating system. I don't know if you would rather pre-order Windows 7. It is like a hundred times better than Vista. If you pre-order it, you get a 50% off discount.

You graphics card is a really solid choice. The only thing that bothers me is that you have chosen a Nvidia stock clock version. As I mentioned before, I would always get a factory overclocked version, and usually the highest factory overclocked version I can get. So http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130479 would be my choice, not necessarily yours. It does cost like 50 dollars more. So the decision comes done to whether you are willing to spend 50 more dollars for a better graphics card. Is it necessary?

I like your choice of case. It is very solid and comes with 3 230mm fan. That is amazing. One big concern is noise. Since the fans usually run at 100% and there is no built in controller for those fans, your computer will be loud. But as you mentioned, you can get a program for that.

Monitors can run you from 100-250 dollars. Depends on the size of your monitor. I can easily find you a 19 inch - 24 inch monitor for a very low price.

Cooler master probably doesn't make their own power supplies, very few people do. That's actually why I pointed out that the few antec psu's that used to be decent were actually rebranded seasonic power supplies.

Finzz: Honestly dude I need to be a little harsh here and ask "what is wrong witchu mon?!". I was hoping I wouldn't need to go do this because it's a pain in the ass to format all these links but here:

GTX 275 for $219.99

Gskill 3x2gb DDR3 1600 for $99.99

Seagate 750gb barracuda for $79.99

Corsair 850tx for $139.99

Core i7 920 (quadcore) for $279.99

Asus p6t SE for $209.99

Creative X-fi Titanium (pciex1) for 99.99

Noctua U12P heatsink for $64.99

all for 1194.92

Which gives you a top of the line processor, graphics card, motherboard, soundcard, power supply, 750gb of hdd space, the only heatsink to best the TRUE, and you are still paying less than if you went with the combo deals that would've gotten you older hardware that was easily half as powerful.

See why doing it yourself is better than combo deals? I can shave another $40-$100 off of that just by stepping down the ram speed to 1333 from 1600 and getting a power supply that isn't stupidly, ridiculously, excessively overpowered for anything you'll ever do with it. I'm just scared if I did that you'd stop listening again and go run to pay more for worse stuff just because it has a bigger shiny sticker on it, and possibly lights.

I think with this you've got enough to get whatever case you want. Just remember more bigger fans doesnt' always mean better airflow, and when it comes down to it being able to exhaust the hot air from your heatsink and your videocard is much more important than pushing air INTO the case, it's not airtight so it'll suck in air on it's own if it needs any. With cases you want rolled edges on any internal edges, simple design if it's toolless, any features you want (removeable motherboard tray is GREAT), and a nice thick metal design without too much plastic on it.

[edit]

Also XP64 > V64, Pick your own Thermalpaste (mx-2 FTW), if you install the power supply to the case and plug it into the wall first you don't need an anti-static wrist strap since the case is then grounded by the power supply and the strap is just a metal wire touching your body and the grounded case anyway (hint: make one at home depot from their cheapest wire lol), a good case will come with fans, and nvidia chipset mobos suck.

I do this for a living Finzz, and it pays damn well. Trust me on this.

Edited by Shadowex3

Also XP64 > V64, Pick your own Thermalpaste (mx-2 FTW), if you install the power supply to the case and plug it into the wall first you don't need an anti-static wrist strap since the case is then grounded by the power supply and the strap is just a metal wire touching your body and the grounded case anyway (hint: make one at home depot from their cheapest wire lol), a good case will come with fans, and nvidia chipset mobos suck.

Dude. Did you really say XP64 > Vista 64!?!?!?! That was a true fail. XP32 > Vista, but anything > XP64. Now to back up my statement. Yes XP is a better OS than Vista. We all know that Microsoft failed in terms of making Vista. But XP64 is the worst OS ever made, worst than Vista and Vista is very low. I have a few quotes from another site:

You are having problems because Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is not Windows XP.

In general if something says it works for Windows XP it does not refer to Windows XP Professional x64 Edition because that version of Windows is based on Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions, not Windows XP. That's why that version of Windows reports its version as 5.2 and will stay at SP2 for the rest of its product life, both like Windows Server 2003. Both of those 64-bit versions of Windows are rare enough that you are not likely to find drivers for them for most consumer hardware out there.

Try a modern version of Windows, as anything newer tends to have much better x64 support. 64-bit Windows Vista and Windows 7 RC have great driver support on my i7 system.

Another dude, the owner of that site, said:

Your problem is definitely related to Xp 64bit... Windows XP 64bit is a piece of cr.... honestly, it has only had problems since its start and its probably the only MS os that suffers from driver support and compatibility.

Note: You build an i7 setup but you want to use an 8 years old os with it? whats the point?

Put windows seven 64 or Vista 64 but don't loose your time with Xp 64bit.

The dude was having problems with his sound. No sound was working and he stated he had XP 64. They did not even ask for any of his specs. Once they saw XP 64, that's all the information needed to answer that problem.
Edited by Akaru

I said XP64>v64, not xp32 which is as far as I'm concerned the best minimalist windows gaming friendly operating system ever made. At the moment ALL 64bit os' suck compared to xp32 simply by virtue of xp32's utterly overwhelming market share, which will likely stick around until well towards the end of win7's lifetime if win7 has the same gaming problems vista did. Despite this I also know several people who have been using XP64 for quite some time without problems.

That's actually the problem really, they're just too damn inconsistent. Maybe it'll work wonderfully maybe it wont. Every single time I've tried vista I've gotten massive framerate losses in every game I play, other people don't. Less don't than do overall but still it's inconsistent and damn inconvenient.

That aside I maintain the rest of my advice, especially the parts where I suggested higher quality parts which also costed less money, to be sound.

I said XP64>v64, not xp32 which is as far as I'm concerned the best minimalist windows gaming friendly operating system ever made. At the moment ALL 64bit os' suck compared to xp32 simply by virtue of xp32's utterly overwhelming market share, which will likely stick around until well towards the end of win7's lifetime if win7 has the same gaming problems vista did. Despite this I also know several people who have been using XP64 for quite some time without problems.

That's actually the problem really, they're just too damn inconsistent. Maybe it'll work wonderfully maybe it wont. Every single time I've tried vista I've gotten massive framerate losses in every game I play, other people don't. Less don't than do overall but still it's inconsistent and damn inconvenient.

That aside I maintain the rest of my advice, especially the parts where I suggested higher quality parts which also costed less money, to be sound.

I know what you said. I'm trying to say EVERYTHING > XP64. XP64 is better than nothing. Even macs are better than XP64, and macs are really low. XP64 is, as you said, very inconsistent. In fact, it is more inconsistent than any version of Vista. As I quoted in my previous post, Windows XP64 is based on Windows Server 2003 64, which is why not a lot of things are compatible with it. No one makes games and gaming drivers compatible for a server OS.

XP32 > Vista, but anything > XP64

I don't know if you got confused from me saying the above post. What I meant was XP32 is the only XP better than Vista, regardless of 32 or 64 bit. Any other OS in existence is better than XP64.

Edited by Akaru

Cooler master probably doesn't make their own power supplies, very few people do. That's actually why I pointed out that the few antec psu's that used to be decent were actually rebranded seasonic power supplies.

Finzz: Honestly dude I need to be a little harsh here and ask "what is wrong witchu mon?!". I was hoping I wouldn't need to go do this because it's a pain in the ass to format all these links but here:

GTX 275 for $219.99

Gskill 3x2gb DDR3 1600 for $99.99

Seagate 750gb barracuda for $79.99

Corsair 850tx for $139.99

Core i7 920 (quadcore) for $279.99

Asus p6t SE for $209.99

Creative X-fi Titanium (pciex1) for 99.99

Noctua U12P heatsink for $64.99

all for 1194.92

Which gives you a top of the line processor, graphics card, motherboard, soundcard, power supply, 750gb of hdd space, the only heatsink to best the TRUE, and you are still paying less than if you went with the combo deals that would've gotten you older hardware that was easily half as powerful.

See why doing it yourself is better than combo deals? I can shave another $40-$100 off of that just by stepping down the ram speed to 1333 from 1600 and getting a power supply that isn't stupidly, ridiculously, excessively overpowered for anything you'll ever do with it. I'm just scared if I did that you'd stop listening again and go run to pay more for worse stuff just because it has a bigger shiny sticker on it, and possibly lights.

I think with this you've got enough to get whatever case you want. Just remember more bigger fans doesnt' always mean better airflow, and when it comes down to it being able to exhaust the hot air from your heatsink and your videocard is much more important than pushing air INTO the case, it's not airtight so it'll suck in air on it's own if it needs any. With cases you want rolled edges on any internal edges, simple design if it's toolless, any features you want (removeable motherboard tray is GREAT), and a nice thick metal design without too much plastic on it.

[edit]

Sorry for posting so late, my internet has been down, sorry.

Okay Shadow a couple things first,

I didn't pick things that were shiny, I based most of the choices on how good the reviews were, isn't that what I should be doing?

Second, I know its newer technology, but is an i7 cpu really gonna be better for gaming? I thought there were even few games out today that can use more than 2 cores let alone 4.

Also, I have no experience with this, but I don't think I really will need a sound card, I would rather spend that money on a wireless card and high range antennae to go with it, because for now, yes (q.q) I have to use wireless internet because my mom isn't cool with me putting an ethernet cord through the ceiling.

And Akaru, I went with OCZ-COOL paste because a lot of people were saying that it is better than MX-2, but if you say so, I can go with MX-2.

I'm not even close to ordering anything yet though just to let you know, but thanks for all of the help.

Edited by Finzz

Reply to Thread