? servers

? players online

Cable Management questions.

• Content Count:  1000

Does anyone manage their cables inside their computer? I tried to manage my cables when I first got my case, then last night, I tried it again. It still looks so messy to me. Half of the cables from my PSU are not used and just sitting at the bottom.

http://www.steam-gamers.net/forum/showpost.php?p=224876&postcount=369

After last night's cable management, it still looks like this. I moved my cathode ray around and plugged my fans into different spots (4 pin molex). Only by looking at the back of the motherboard tray will you notice a difference, but since I do not have pictures from my first attemp, showing you my second attempt would be useless.

My setup still looks messy. Any suggestions how to make it look better?

• Content Count:  6084

Add glitter.

"Messy" imo is acceptable so long as it doesn't break airflow. You could try zip tying parts to the case walls, and that case comes with a space behind the mobo back-panel to run your cables through.

• Content Count:  1839

zip ties. zip ties. zip ties.

My case had a few random holes for no apparent reason that i was able to thread the massive majority of my sata cables through and down to the HDDs.

The things that arent hideable like that, like the hdd -> mobo sata etc., i zip tied and taped to the bottom of the case. You cant even see them because they are hidden beside the lip of the aluminum.

Pretty much, when i gaze lovingly at the window of my case i only see 2 wires, 1 for ambient temp measuring, and the 2nd power to my gfx card (i was even able to hide most of the pci-e cable that came from the psu)

but like pot said, its not really important if it doesnt reduce airflow, but im severely anal when it comes to this hobby o' mine. If it bothers you that much and you cant do much with the mobo tray, get a new psu with longer cables, or go modular.

zip ties. zip ties. zip ties.

My case had a few random holes for no apparent reason that i was able to thread the massive majority of my sata cables through and down to the HDDs.

The things that arent hideable like that, like the hdd -> mobo sata etc., i zip tied and taped to the bottom of the case. You cant even see them because they are hidden beside the lip of the aluminum.

Pretty much, when i gaze lovingly at the window of my case i only see 2 wires, 1 for ambient temp measuring, and the 2nd power to my gfx card (i was even able to hide most of the pci-e cable that came from the psu)

but like pot said, its not really important if it doesnt reduce airflow, but im severely anal when it comes to this hobby o' mine. If it bothers you that much and you cant do much with the mobo tray, get a new psu with longer cables, or go modular.

I'm a neat freak, so I like my stuff organized/hidden. All of my cables are long enough, except my 20+4 pin. It is so short that I can not do anything with it if it goes behind my motherboard tray. I am thinking of putting it in front of my motherboard tray and just zip tying it like you guys said.

• Content Count:  2959

The 20+4 you don't want to bend too much anyway because then it plugs in while putting pressure on the socket and it's got some SERIOUS weight behind it. My case is actually kinda a cable nightmare but mostly cause I use beefy cables that don't like bending. For the most part I just ziptie them so that they hold themselves in places that don't block airflow because I like being able to see them and have them out in the open.

If I wanted to hide them though I've got a CMstacker 830 evo so I could just route them behind the motherboard tray and have them come out of the crosswise slot. The problem with that is that my method lets me actually use the removeable motherboard tray's ability to slide out and if I hid them or routed them funny I wouldn't have all that slack to use when it's heatsink/fan cleaning time.

Outside the computer... I need to work on that. That I just use the shortest cables possible and then just try to have them running parallel without looping through each other. It's a mess atm though because for once all our stuff is in one spot rather than spread across the apartment.

Quick question, the 4pin mobo aux. and the 8 pin one, what are the differences? Are they both compatible with any mobo?

The 8 pin I think is for the graphics card. If it is 6+2, then it is for the graphics card. If it is 4+4, then it is for the motherboard AUX.

Reply to Thread