? servers

? players online

Random lag spikes on HP Pavilion

• Content Count:  9

So I've got an HP Pavilion Dv7 Entertainment Laptop PC and it lags every 2-3 minutes or so when I'm in game. My ping will jump from 60-70ms to 180-200ms

Quick stats for my compy are

6GB System ram

4GB Video Ram

Centrino 2 Quad Core CPU @ 2.1 GHz per core

Windows Vista Home Premium

Nod32 Antivirus

Anyone have any ideas? I'm really getting tired of people complaining because I start lagging and saying "FIX YOUR RATES" When my rates are fine

Oh, and I am running off of wireless internet but the connection has never given me or anyone else who has used the wireless, troubles in the past or even now

• Content Count:  44

Do you have any Adware,Malware on your computer? That slowed mine down, and lagged it.

Spybot usually gets rid of those.

I know it's not your computer, but when you lag do you still see your fps jumping around? Whenever I lag and its not my internet, it usually freezes.

Try using a wired connection, and see if you still get the same results.

Try to defrag your system, defrag CS:S. Do a basic maintaince routine.

• Content Count:  9

Well the system is new, and I've run spyware and virus scanners, both coming up with nothing. I've even run registry scanners to check that.

When I lag I do see my screen kinda jump around, like I'm glitching forward and back.

I think I'll give using a wired connection a try

• Content Count:  2959

Well the system is new, and I've run spyware and virus scanners, both coming up with nothing. I've even run registry scanners to check that.

When I lag I do see my screen kinda jump around, like I'm glitching forward and back.

I think I'll give using a wired connection a try

Those are network funnies, what you see clientside doesnt agree with what the server thinks you should be doing so the two fight it out a bit. The problem with wireless for gaming is that there are just too many things that can cause problems and unlike web browsing if the packet stream in a game is interrupted it causes serious problems. Most games dont send every speck of data to the server and client, they only send what's changed since the last tick and interpolate the rest on their own clientside. 1/4 of a second may not seem long to us but that's a damn lot to the game (250ms, over the ping limit) and when you lose that stream of updates for that long all sorts of problems occur, especially since both the server and client now disagree on what's happened and the interpolation clientside has kept going despite losing contact with the server.

Reply to Thread