? servers

? players online

HACKED

• Content Count:  8756

Well there's quite a few scams going around now on steam (more than two; believe it or not!) so I thought I'd compile a post with all of the scams; updating as I find them. I've had two friends lose their accounts and only one able to get them back because of scams, and it's really annoying to see that. So here's hoping that this post will help.

If you know of any more scams, please post them here and I'll update the list!

Name:

AUTOMATED MESSAGE

Information: This nasty little scam claims that your account is in danger of being banned / terminated, or that "the steam servers are updating". It'll ask you for your name and password, and as soon as you give them those details your account will be effectively void to you. Be sure not to fall for this - however convincing!

automessageib9.png

Courtesy of Jenspm

Name:

VIRUS

Information: This nasty little scam claims that STEAM servers have a 'virus', and that you are required to verify yourself by entering your "correct" details into the message they sent you. Don't be fooled! This scam can also be pretty convincing. The message usually produced is:

Administation would like to inform you that there has been a huge virus outbreak on the Steam network, it is due to this that we have disabled your account and put it into quarantine, please type your account details, in the form

STEAM :

Password :

, so that we may clean your account of any bugs or viruses.

Courtesy of Half-Life2.net

NAME:

ACCOUNT STOLEN

Information: This scam can be particularly convincing because the person who talks to you tries to sound as legitimate as possible. Don't be fooled! This is a scam like any other and they'll take your account. Watch out!

Admin@Powered.Support says:

Hello, are you there?

We apologize for any inconvenience, but due to an email we recently received from: InTractoin145@hotmail.com we are obligated to contact you. The account has been reported stolen by the alleged original account holder. Steam does not take these types of issues lightly.To clear up this incident and close this case labeled dispute No. 7632143 we need to verify either a CD key or a username and password. If the original CD-key cannot be obtained you may also include the original account holder's full name and address. If you cooperate completely and your account is verified successfully you will receive a game of your choice at the price of $19.99 or lower for your trouble. Again we apologize for any inconvenience. If this information is not submitted within 24 hours of this request your account may be disabled permanently.

-- says:

hello?

Your account was reported stolen earlier last week,

If we cannot verify you as the original owner it will be disabled shortly.

-- says:

how do i know this is official

At this time I can turn off your account.

You will recieve an email with 24-48 hours with a new password if you would like.

That would be about all the proof I can come up with.

-- says:

this is a fraud, nice try. it says on the very top of the chat window "do not tell your password to anyone!"

Admin@Powered.Support is now Offline.

Courtesy of ocmyface @ XtremeSystems

NAME:

MULTIPLE IPs

Information: This little scam is also very convincing. It tries to confuse you in that your account has been detected on multiple IPs and is being threatened of termination. Don't be fooled - Steam would never do this!

almostscammedlayer16gz9as4.jpg

Courtesy of Warrior at HLFallout

NAME:

XFIRE STEAM ALERT

Information: This little trick, because of its use of (almost) proper grammar (although there are several noticable mistakes) and name can make it seem very legit. They key is to look out for the user's "real" username (in this case - zw125 - clearly nothing to do with Valve).

asdadsadsne0.png

Courtesy of liquidat0r

STEAM WILL NEVER ASK YOU FOR YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD! NEVER TELL ANYONE; AND KEEP YOUR ACCOUNT SAFE!

Original Post

Kthxbai.

Facepalm.gif

facepalm_gif_by_thatweirdo7.gif

facepalm.gif

animated-facepalm-thumb-512x512.gif

Holy_Facepalm_by_ScotlandForLife.jpg

facepalm1.jpg

Also

633502095110658970-facepalm.jpg

Goddamnit Crimson!

Reply to Thread