? servers

? players online

Choke and Lag spikes

• Content Count:  196

Ok ive been having problems with choke now for weeks. lag spikes also acompany it and nothing i have tired seems to work. I recently tired setting my cl_cmdrate to 30 and cl)updaterate to 20 and rate to 30000 and that seemed to work, but then once i left and came back, the problem was back as well. The changing of the settings on either of these 3 command does nothing or make the problem worse. With all the video on low and after about an hour of playing with the settings via console, the best i have been able to get is a constant 30 choke and a lag spike to 840 every 2 mins. at worse the choke is about 300 and the spikes go into the thousands.

i play l4d2 with no problems and i have played CSS for about 6 years now. I have a much better pc now then i have ever had.

• Content Count:  2959

Woah, no shit it got worse with settings like that, i'm surprised you haven't had more crashes, choke means the server wants to send you MORE data and it can't. You just set your rates so low that you'd get banned from any serious server. Set your stuff to 100-100-300000 and then give it a try.

• Content Count:  1300

if you are on a more powerful pc, make sure you set your fps_max to 200 or less. most newer cards easily do more then that in CSS, and that leads to choke.

• Content Count:  196

No Luck, settings set to

rate 300000

fps_max 101

cl_updaterate 100

cl_cmdrate 100

my results were

between 10 and 50 choke and lag spikes up to 900 ping.

• Content Count:  2959

if you are on a more powerful pc, make sure you set your fps_max to 200 or less. most newer cards easily do more then that in CSS, and that leads to choke.

Jager source uses a mostly decoupled engine, it's not like Enemy Territory where your graphical framerate and the game's framerate are tied. The closest we get is that your rates can never be higher than your framerate but whatever you set your rates to is still the maximum if you set it lower than your framerate. Case in point I use an uncapped framerate and I get no choke even at over 400fps... unless the server is doing a dumb and trying to send me too much data while they have their rates capped too low on their end.

There's just no physical means for your FPS being higher to affect your choke since choke is purely the server wanting to send you more data than it actually can for any reason their side or yours. Go check whisper's or the Valvewiki if you don't believe me.

There's something else going on here. NLS CEL: Are you on wireless or trying to connect to someone across the world or something?

Reply to Thread