? servers

? players online

My new Comp

• Content Count:  234

Hey Guise, I'm going to be upgrading to a new computer, and I'd like you guys to criticize me.

Case: NZXT Lexa Blackline

Mobo: DFI LP LT P35 T2R LGA 775 Intel P35 Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

PSU: hec ACE580 ATX12V 580W

Newegg (

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/PublicWishDetail.asp?Source=MSWD&WishListNumber=7408851

Total setup

I already have my graphics card, an eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 512mb G92 + Crysis. :p

Not bad, eh?

Edited by Phobos

• Content Count:  1230

Not bad, but what made you decide to go with the Xeon version of the e8400 and that motherboard? I think you could've done better for less, but overall it's still a powerful machine.

• Content Count:  234

Well why should I go with non-Xeon? It's the same CPU under a better quality brand. O_o;

And for Quad, I already have a comp that has a quad core, but I don't really care much about it since the extra 2 cores are rarely supported in most apps.

• Content Count:  84

Well why should I go with non-Xeon? It's the same CPU under a better quality brand. O_o;

And for Quad, I already have a comp that has a quad core, but I don't really care much about it since the extra 2 cores are rarely supported in most apps.

That's true. In my opinion, the only "real difference" between a dual core and a quad core is the "price".

And for the record, Six Core processors should be coming out in a couple of months. Even though, I don't think it'll do any good for gamers like us.

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sixcore_Intel_processors_coming_this_year/1205790710

"Gaming on Quad-Cores

04 11th, 2007 After speaking with many developers including some big names, we learned that they can’t make much sense out of quad or more core CPUs. They confirm that they can put two cores to good use but not much more. The main problem is that the performance is far from scalable. You have to spend both time and money to resource the programmer to try to make sense out f the dual core CPU. It takes up to a year to optimise the game for more threads and even if you make the perfect job you can count on twenty to thirty percent performance increase, and this is the best case scenario. Once you start making the multi threaded game you end up making and having the multithreaded bugs as well.

You can keep one core busy with the physics and collision detection, second core will have to wait for the score to move on with the Artificial intelligence while the third core could possible calculate the graphic data. In this best case scenario you have to realise that the core number two and three would always have to wait for the core number one to finish its job and pass the job to the cores two and three. In this concept there is absolutely no place for quad core as games are non parallel applications. A game developer expert said that you can use the core number four to stream and load the data in the game and this is what the guys at Remedy did at IDF quad core demonstration. But this takes time and money and it is not commonly embraced by developers.

Game developers are in the dawn of dual core programming and now all the sudden AMD and Intel wants them to go quad core. For the time being Quad cores are good for rendering and serves but not for games. So if you want to play games, you can forget about quad cores, you simply don’t need them and can gain just marginal performance out of them. Give the developers some time and this might change, but we are talking quarters not months. My feeling is that game developers will come around and optimize for these new super face quads. "

http://quadcorefaq.com/category/uncategorized/

• Content Count:  84

"The Intel Core 2 Extreme processor QX9775 is available now at an MSRP of $1,499 each. Estimated street pricing for the Intel Desktop Board D5400XS is $649."

http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/20080219comp.htm

Well, for that price, I think I'll pass. Especially, since most games don't know how to utilize multiple processors.

• Content Count:  89

Hey Guise, I'm going to be upgrading to a new computer, and I'd like you guys to criticize me.

Case: NZXT Lexa Blackline

Mobo: DFI LP LT P35 T2R LGA 775 Intel P35 Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Xeon E3110 Wolfdale 3.0GHz

RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)

PSU: hec ACE580 ATX12V 580W

Newegg (

I already have my graphics card, an eVGA nVidia GeForce 8800GTS 512mb G92 + Crysis. :p

Not bad, eh?

Mutha f****r stole my PC case!!!!:001_tt2:

hahaha JK with ya man, its a great case to work with, still need to figure out how to get the built-in heat sensors workin though. Have fun with it

Reply to Thread