? servers

? players online

Post Your Pics and Stats of your PC

• Content Count:  3440

MacBook's are great for educational use, and if you're looking for a computer that will last you in the long run, I'd go with a MacBook.

-Modgers

Although for the most part that may be true......I'd have to disagree and here is why..

I work at a University and for over a year the main Statistical analysis software used on campus was not compatible with the Intel based Mac's. And yes that included running boot camp or parallels. Something in the emulation broke the mathematics in the stats application making any stats pulled while running on a Mac invalid. A lot of students had their research invalidated and had to start over almost from the beginning because they were unaware of the issue.

I know that this isn't always the case but the mentality of "I can just put windows on my Mac" doesn't always work.

For me it comes down to strictly numbers. We order bulk orders of high end pc's and mac's every year and ...

1- the Mac's for comparable hardware cost on average %20 more

2- for the prices we pay the warranty is 40% shorter 3 years for the macs and 5 years for the pc's (and on laptop the pc's cover accidental damage including dropping your laptop in a lake.. long story the macs don't)

3- Software compatibility will always be an issue. The above example is proof and I can provide the software vendors whitepapers on the issue if anyone wants them.

4- Overall cost of applications and administration is higher. We track the amount of time spent supporting each of our computers as well as the cost of software to support them.

I could go on and on about why I wouldn't recommend buying a mac but I won't (And I used to be a Mac fanboy & have done a ton of contract support for Macs).

I'm not a Mac hater I just can't justify spending more and getting less.

• Content Count:  234

*copy pasta ala xfire*

Manufacturer: Custom Built

Processor: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3110 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 3326MB RAM (2x2GB)

Hard Drive: 74 GB + 250 GB + 750 GB

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS 512 g92

Monitor: SyncMaster 940T/940B/940Be,SyncMaster Magic CX914B(Digital)

Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio output

Speakers/Headphones: Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Z-540

Keyboard: USB Root Hub

Mouse: Logitech MX518

Mouse Surface: Optic

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp.080413-2111)

I'm going to upgrade my keyboard and headset to get the Saitek Cyborgs. I'll post pics once I get those in.

• Content Count:  6559

New keyboard, woopteedo

cimg2689hd7.jpg

cimg2689hd7.f28c30cf2a.jpg

cimg2691ta8.jpg

cimg2691ta8.f1310b2b1f.jpg

Case: Cooler master Centurion 5

Monitor: 22" Acer Monitor

Manufacturer: custom

Processor:Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.400GHz (4 CPUs)

Memory: 4 GB of RAM

Hard Drive: 500 GB + 500GB External

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Sound Card: Realtek HD Audio

Speakers/Headphones: Genius Headset and "Free" Speakers from work

Keyboard: Logitech G15 Keyboard

Mouse: IntelliExplorer 3.0

Mouse Surface: Icemat 2.0

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2

Edited by Red

• Content Count:  868

No pictures. I have a sad little machine that's going to be either 5 or 6 years old come February of '09. I know I got it during my final semester of high school and I'm about to start my 5th year of college(yes, I'm a slacker... and I changed my major a year into college).

The machine as purchased was an AMD Athlon 3200+(2.2GHz) with 512MB of DDR2 RAM, a 150W PSU, and some GeForce 4 FX something or other card... all I remember is that it was absolute garbage and refused to run Deus Ex 2: Invisible War because it didn't have pixel shader 2.0 or something like that. I upgraded my graphics card first, putting in an ATI 9600XT 256MB AGP card. Served me well for two or three years before I got horrendous artifacts playing World of Warcraft. No other game had issues.

I added another 512 stick of RAM sometime before I replaced my graphics card again with an ATI X1300 256MB AGP card and subsequently had to get a new power supply unit for it. I don't even remember what wattage I'm getting out of this new one, 400W comes to mind though. I can't tell if this card is better or worse than the 9600XT... I think it's supposed to be better though. As long as it got rid of the visual glitches in WoW, I'm happy. I didn't touch the processor.

• Content Count:  75

MY GAMING RIG IS MY SANCTUARY

22 inch widescreen lg monitor

system specs

1250 watts of POWER

amd quad core phenom 9750

peltier cooler with mods.

4gb ram ddr 1066

2x radeon 3870's (soon to be upgraded..!)

raptor hard drive

500gb hard drive

raid 0 of 2x 80gb hard drives

ohh and best of all. a smooth creations case (this stuff costs around 750!)

want some pics??? im sure you do!

also suricruise im really happy im not the only one with a big daddy

Edited by GOD

Reply to Thread