? servers

? players online

2020 Olympics boot Wrestling for _____.

• Content Count:  1513

I have 2 second cousins who won olympic metals in wrestling. :/

This is kind of biased toward 3rd world countries. Yes, you can MAYBE take up casual golf without paying a lot of money to play on a course, but thats not going to make you able to compete with people like tiger woods.

Yes this was my point in my arguement.

• Content Count:  1950

I have 2 second cousins who won olympic metals in wrestling. :/

This is kind of biased toward 3rd world countries. Yes, you can MAYBE take up casual golf without paying a lot of money to play on a course, but thats not going to make you able to compete with people like tiger woods.

Well you could argue this once again with every sport. You aren't going to become a wrestler that can compete in the Olympics either without some sort of big time training which wouldn't come cheap. You could make the same case for every sport. In order to become good at this level you need the proper training. Your local high school coach isn't going to produce you into an Olympic medalist. I'm not just trying to pick on wrestling I am just stating that the same case could be made with any sport.

• Content Count:  885

Golf is certainly more of a universal sport than wrestling is, I feel like both sports should be in the Olympics though.

That, I'd have to disagree with. Fairly certain most boys have wrestled at least once in their lifetime. Regardless of whether or not it was regulated. It's something that you can do anywhere at anytime with zero equipment. Golf on the other hand isn't quite universal to some countries.

There are always these 'no-ones' from various third-world countries that shed a name and light on themselves and the people they represent.

• Content Count:  1513

Well you could argue this once again with every sport. You aren't going to become a wrestler that can compete in the Olympics either without some sort of big time training which wouldn't come cheap. You could make the same case for every sport. In order to become good at this level you need the proper training. Your local high school coach isn't going to produce you into an Olympic medalist. I'm not just trying to pick on wrestling I am just stating that the same case could be made with any sport.

Hes saying that the more schools that offer that sport pretty much is gonna make that sport more widespread. Golf isn't offered at most of the local high schools near me as a sport.

Hes saying that the more schools that offer that sport pretty much is gonna make that sport more widespread. Golf isn't offered at most of the local high schools near me as a sport.

It may make it more widespread around America but not necessarily the world. I know my area which is extremely poor has a golf team at most schools (and I really can't think of one without one) while some don't have wrestling. It really depends on the location but golf seems to be more widespread throughout the world than wrestling does. I don't have any stats to back it up but this is just my assumption. But once again I don't think wrestling should be removed but I am just stating why golf should be added.

But I was more referring to him stating that you can pick up casual golf but unless you pay to play on courses and such you aren't going to reach the level of Tiger Woods. I was just stating that the same thing can be said about any sport. Without money you won't get the top training to make you an Olympic athlete.

• Content Count:  2103

It may make it more widespread around America but not necessarily the world. I know my area which is extremely poor has a golf team at most schools (and I really can't think of one without one) while some don't have wrestling. It really depends on the location but golf seems to be more widespread throughout the world than wrestling does. I don't have any stats to back it up but this is just my assumption. But once again I don't think wrestling should be removed but I am just stating why golf should be added.

But I was more referring to him stating that you can pick up casual golf but unless you pay to play on courses and such you aren't going to reach the level of Tiger Woods. I was just stating that the same thing can be said about any sport. Without money you won't get the top training to make you an Olympic athlete.

Yes, but you don't really have to pay to join a school wrestling team. And where do you think most of these guys start? I have NEVER heard of anyone going "I wanna suddenly good at wrestling, ima pay this guy tons of money to make me good." No, its usually you get good in high school, if you are good enough you can get a scholarship, and as there is no really professional wresting league or anything that I know of (real wresting) it usually ends or you go on to the Olympics.

Golf, at least in my old hometown which was kinda poor, wasn't offered as a school sport. It was something you had to pay to get into. Its the same in the town I currently live in, but this is also run though the school, you just have to pay to use the course.

Yes, but you don't really have to pay to join a school wrestling team. And where do you think most of these guys start? I have NEVER heard of anyone going "I wanna suddenly good at wrestling, ima pay this guy tons of money to make me good." No, its usually you get good in high school, if you are good enough you can get a scholarship, and as there is no really professional wresting league or anything that I know of (real wresting) it usually ends or you go on to the Olympics.

Golf, at least in my old hometown which was kinda poor, wasn't offered as a school sport. It was something you had to pay to get into. Its the same in the town I currently live in, but this is also run though the school, you just have to pay to use the course.

In fact a lot of schools now you have to pay to play any sports. In my local area you have to pay to play sports and each sport that you play you have to pay. Does not matter what sport it is. In fact some schools have a charge of $150 per sport to play. Again it varies by area. My area is very poor and every school has a golf team. Yeah they have to pay to play but some courses will let you play there without paying depending on the situation. Each situation differs. But my point wasn't that you pay money then go to the Olympics, my point was to get to the Olympic level you can't jump from college to the Olympics without some sort of training which will cost money. Now there are probably a select few that can but the odds of someone going straight to the Olympics without further training is rare, even if it is just to adjust your skills slightly. Take someone like LeBron James who went from high school to the NBA. The guy took a huge leap and not many have done that but even when he did make that jump I can guarantee he hired some form of training to get him prepared for the NBA. The point was that to get good enough to be at Tiger Woods level it is going to cost you money to get there. Just like with wrestling, golf has coaches as well that every player will have that will cost money. I was stating that to get at the "Tiger Woods level" of wrestling you have to produce money as well. Not to actually be a first time player. Regardless of which sport you play you can get into it cheap but it is going to cost you money. If you're a young kid any sort of sports league you are going to get into will cost you money. Same with golf. It may not be a lot but you still do have to pay.

The Olympics isn't about producing people to become Olympic athletes but rather for a chance to see the nations best going against each other. I can see kids watching the Olympics and probably wanting to try a sport out but even in my past Olympic experiences I didn't really see much Wrestling televised either. The majority of the summer Olympics are track and swimming because that is what people are interested in the most. Golf is something else that the world seems to be more interested in but once again I will state that I do think wrestling should stay but I am just stating why golf should be in as well.

Whoever's arguing that a good game of golf is easy accessible for anyone clearly needs to travel some more. The only people that generally have access to golf courses are people that live in developed countries. It's funny to see people go back and forth using terms like "Well in my area..." or "At my school.." because it really only shows self absorbed people have come to be about their own experiences in life pertaining to their country. I'd like to see you try to find a golf team or try to practice golf efficiently if you're a poor Indian kid living in Delhi. You NEED money to be good at golf. Combat sports however, you do not.

I can't speak much for Greco Roman wrestling as I've never been a big fan of that specific style myself, but the best Muay Thai fighters are poor motherfuckers that don't get to eat if they got knocked out in the ring. There are plenty of American boxers, also, that lived in childhood poverty that rose up because they were good at the sport itself. How many famous golfers that were completely broke as a child/teenager can you list? Probably not very many, and last time I checked, there were more developing countries than developed.

The Olympics is a WORLD event. Not one inclusive to America and the U.S. so please get your head out of your arse.

Also about the money thing. Duh Olympic type training is expensive but the point is the process to go through to try to gain sponsorship/recruitment for that type of training is a lot less costly for wrestling than golf and if you can't see that, you are stupid, thank you.

• Content Count:  6712

The criteria for a sport being in the Olympics or not is not based on whether every nation in the world is going to compete in it or not. Obviously, that is a nice goal, but most events don't work like that.

Sure, there's not much chance of a poor Indian kid in Delhi becoming a golf star, non probably. But India itself does have golf courses and it has golf players (not necessarily world class players, but it is an emerging sport). You could list so many sports and say "can he do it?" and the answer would be "No, not really." Is the internet easily accessible? Yes, it really is. Is it easily accessible to poor kids in Africa? No, it isn't. Sure, it's always good to think further than yourself, or your country, but constantly basing everything on a certain extreme is counter productive.

End of the day, wrestling is not a highly televised sport. It's obviously not a particularly entertaining sport, most of the other combat sports are preferred. I'm sure there are other sports, personally I think there's quite a lot of shooting classes and it's not necessary.. but sports come and go, wrestling isn't a big loss.

Edited by Lux
The criteria for a sport being in the Olympics or not is not based on whether every nation in the world is going to compete in it or not. Obviously, that is a nice goal, but most events don't work like that.

Sure, there's not much chance of a poor Indian kid in Delhi becoming a golf star, non probably. But India itself does have golf courses and it has golf players (not necessarily world class players, but it is an emerging sport). You could list so many sports and say "can he do it?" and the answer would be "No, not really." Is the internet easily accessible? Yes, it really is. Is it easily accessible to poor kids in Africa? No, it isn't. Sure, it's always good to think further than yourself, or your country, but constantly basing everything on a certain extreme is counter productive.

End of the day, wrestling is not a highly televised sport. It's obviously not a particularly entertaining sport, most of the other combat sports are preferred. I'm sure there are other sports, personally I think there's quite a lot of shooting classes and it's not necessary.. but sports come and go, wrestling isn't a big loss.

I don't understand how you can compare a resource to a sport.

Wrestling has been in the modern Olympics since its creation, and is the only one on the first nine sports being taken off. It was also probably the most important event during the ancient Olympics.

I don't really understand how the comment "sports come and go, wrestling isn't a big loss" is valid, wrestling's been around pretty much since caveman times.

Where you state it's "obviously not a particularly entertaining sport" is your opinion, doesn't mean it's a fact, there are tons of people that do enjoy watching wrestling, and sure, it's not as televised as golf is due to the lack of franchising, and most of the people that do view wrestling events do so in live untelevised fights.

Also saying that equal participation shouldn't be considered a factor and that television views should pretty much invalidates almost every single female sport in the Olympics.

And no, I'm not thinking on extremes, there are clearly more developing countries than developed countries, you're the one that can't get his head thinking on a global scale; it's just sad that the Olympic committee would throw away tradition and equality just for a little more money from franchising and sponsorships.

Reply to Thread