? servers

? players online

2020 Olympics boot Wrestling for _____.

• Content Count:  1950

Whoever's arguing that a good game of golf is easy accessible for anyone clearly needs to travel some more. The only people that generally have access to golf courses are people that live in developed countries. It's funny to see people go back and forth using terms like "Well in my area..." or "At my school.." because it really only shows self absorbed people have come to be about their own experiences in life pertaining to their country. I'd like to see you try to find a golf team or try to practice golf efficiently if you're a poor Indian kid living in Delhi. You NEED money to be good at golf. Combat sports however, you do not.

You should get rid of the Winter Olympics then because a lot of countries don't have the opportunity to have snow and actually participate in those games. Not every single country has the resources to participate in every single event. Same argument can go towards Equestrian and the other events in the Olympics. Just think of gymnastics and how much money that costs to get training. You can't just go out in your backyard and become and Olympic gymnast. The athletes that participate in gymnastics are generally very young in their teenage years and I am sure they aren't poor either but I don't see anyone complaining about that.

I can't speak much for Greco Roman wrestling as I've never been a big fan of that specific style myself, but the best Muay Thai fighters are poor motherfuckers that don't get to eat if they got knocked out in the ring. There are plenty of American boxers, also, that lived in childhood poverty that rose up because they were good at the sport itself. How many famous golfers that were completely broke as a child/teenager can you list? Probably not very many, and last time I checked, there were more developing countries than developed.

The Olympics is a WORLD event. Not one inclusive to America and the U.S. so please get your head out of your arse.

Also about the money thing. Duh Olympic type training is expensive but the point is the process to go through to try to gain sponsorship/recruitment for that type of training is a lot less costly for wrestling than golf and if you can't see that, you are stupid, thank you.

What does it matter that there are less poverty risen golfers? Every sport has those success stories where someone has risen from poverty. I would not argue that golf clearly has more participants from richer backgrounds because I think most would agree with that statement but I don't think this has any bearing on why it shouldn't be in the games.

I completely disagree with training being less. With wrestling, like golf, you are most likely going to have a strength coach along with a swing coach. In wrestling you are going to have some kind of formal training expert that is going to cost money. What people don't realize is that you don't just get placed on an Olympic team you earn it. With any Olympic team you try out and the best make the squad. In order to make that team you are going to get training. Nobody is going to give a sponsorship to someone trying to make their first cut at the Olympics. In fact I would almost even argue that golf would be cheaper for the fact that you generally gain more sponsorship's in golf once you turn pro.

I highly doubt the Olympic committee is gearing their sporting events toward the U.S. The Olympic committee is made up of representatives from all of the participating countries.

This all goes back to the simple fact that in order to get Olympic training you need money. I am not talking about you and I going outside and either wrestling or playing a round of golf. I am referring to receiving Olympic training and the costs it takes to participate in the games.

You should get rid of the Winter Olympics then because a lot of countries don't have the opportunity to have snow and actually participate in those games. Not every single country has the resources to participate in every single event. Same argument can go towards Equestrian and the other events in the Olympics. Just think of gymnastics and how much money that costs to get training. You can't just go out in your backyard and become and Olympic gymnast. The athletes that participate in gymnastics are generally very young in their teenage years and I am sure they aren't poor either but I don't see anyone complaining about that.

What does it matter that there are less poverty risen golfers? Every sport has those success stories where someone has risen from poverty. I would not argue that golf clearly has more participants from richer backgrounds because I think most would agree with that statement but I don't think this has any bearing on why it shouldn't be in the games.

I completely disagree with training being less. With wrestling, like golf, you are most likely going to have a strength coach along with a swing coach. In wrestling you are going to have some kind of formal training expert that is going to cost money. What people don't realize is that you don't just get placed on an Olympic team you earn it. With any Olympic team you try out and the best make the squad. In order to make that team you are going to get training. Nobody is going to give a sponsorship to someone trying to make their first cut at the Olympics. In fact I would almost even argue that golf would be cheaper for the fact that you generally gain more sponsorship's in golf once you turn pro.

I highly doubt the Olympic committee is gearing their sporting events toward the U.S. The Olympic committee is made up of representatives from all of the participating countries.

This all goes back to the simple fact that in order to get Olympic training you need money. I am not talking about you and I going outside and either wrestling or playing a round of golf. I am referring to receiving Olympic training and the costs it takes to participate in the games.

I stopped reading after "You should get rid of", because my point wasn't to get rid of anything. It was arguing against that. I could care less if golf was added, but my point was there's no good reason to get rid of wrestling.

• Content Count:  528

I do wrestling for fun in high school, I don't take it super seriously, and I don't intend to take it any further than just an after school sport. Some annoying girl in my history class was like "wrestling isn't a sport that's why it's not in the olympics".

She thinks cheer leading is a sport.

• Content Count:  6712

I don't understand how you can compare a resource to a sport.

Because you're arguing the semantics of what is and is not "easily accessible". People don't always base their lives and everything they say off that of the worst people. Ignorant? Sometimes, maybe.... but it'd be wrong to assume so.

Wrestling has been in the modern Olympics since its creation, and is the only one on the first nine sports being taken off. It was also probably the most important event during the ancient Olympics.

I don't really understand how the comment "sports come and go, wrestling isn't a big loss" is valid, wrestling's been around pretty much since caveman times.

Greco-Roman wrestling has been around since caveman times? Nope. It being an event so long ago doesn't mean it still should be now. I'm sure it counts towards it's argument, but it's not really enough. Time goes by, we move on. The thing about the other original events is that they are big spectator sports. They happen within the stadium.

Where you state it's "obviously not a particularly entertaining sport" is your opinion, doesn't mean it's a fact, there are tons of people that do enjoy watching wrestling, and sure, it's not as televised as golf is due to the lack of franchising, and most of the people that do view wrestling events do so in live untelevised fights.

Also saying that equal participation shouldn't be considered a factor and that television views should pretty much invalidates almost every single female sport in the Olympics.

Obviously, it's not just my opinion, otherwise it wouldn't have been removed. The reason that squash is not an Olympic sport is simply because they think it's too hard for spectators to see the ball. People enjoy bird watching, train spotting etc. Either it's obviously not entertaining enough, televised enough, watched enough etc Every sport has it's fans and people who will argue for it.... but the Olympics can't have every sport. It already being an Olympic sport doesn't mean it's safe guarded, if that were the case nothing would get added and nothing would get removed.

I never said equal participation shouldn't be considered a factor, but it shouldn't be the only one. As has been proved with so many other sports.... and how many developing countries even compete in wrestling anyway? I can't think of many. It's one of those sports where you need to travel around the world to compete in events, something that not many can afford. With women, it's not the same. Why do some countries not compete in certain sports? Because they can't. Why would a woman not be able to? Evidently they can, and if you can have equality then have as much of it as possible.

And no, I'm not thinking on extremes, there are clearly more developing countries than developed countries, you're the one that can't get his head thinking on a global scale; it's just sad that the Olympic committee would throw away tradition and equality just for a little more money from franchising and sponsorships.

What pays the bills, equality or tradition? Hosting the Olympics is expensive, they want to sell television rights and tickets. It's not just about tradition and equality, or money either. I know you like to make assumptions and troll but it's boring.

I stopped reading after "You should get rid of", because my point wasn't to get rid of anything. It was arguing against that. I could care less if golf was added, but my point was there's no good reason to get rid of wrestling.

If you want to add an event, one has to be removed. The Olympics is a two week event, it's not feasible to keep adding events. If you want to add one, one must go. For you, maybe, there is "no good reason" to get rid of wrestling, but obviously the Olympic Committee found one.... or at least found more of a reason than with other events.

Edited by Lux

Reply to Thread