? servers

? players online

doge lovers thread

• Content Count:  4198

How does that invalidate my point in any way? You may find these threads dumb and pointless (because by god, I don't find any of them to be particularly engaging myself), yet it is among the most popular threads on its page and people continue to contribute to it with material that corresponds with the first post. Some of you are acting as if OTF would actually turn into /s4s/ if the standards we have for posting were loosened up a little. Look back a few years on the forums and tell me that a quarter of the stuff posted then wouldn't be locked today. Things were treated differently. People laughed off or even somehow managed to ignore threads that they found to be of little meaning, and things seemed to have turned out okay. Why does a thread in which people actively post need to be locked because you personally find the topic itself to be 'cancer'? Wouldn't simply ignoring the thread and not posting in it provide the same results?

It invalidates it because similar things are banned, such as spiderman threads. I actually used to enjoy spiderman threads but I can see why action was taken to prohibit them, because in all honestly they were stupid as fuck and the novelty wore off very, very quickly. If those moderating seek to allow this doge stuff then spiderman threads should be just as acceptable, and Xeno has already said this. I commend him for his consistency towards the matter, but I'm simply of the opinion that these types of things are cancer to the community.

Just because these things are popular doesn't make them any less fucking retarded. In most cases 'cancerous' shit actually comes along due to a lack of moderation and allowing the majority to decide what should and shouldn't be acceptable. Threads like these contribute nothing and discuss nothing, which is why I feel they should be treated in the same way spiderman threads were. Them being allowed or banned is irrelevant as to whether they are cancerous material or not.

• Content Count:  1676

words and punctuation

I never even gave my stance on spiderman posts, and to clarify, I was never for them getting banned in the first place, since that is what partially led to this entire attitude toward OTF in the first place. Instead of actively moderating threads and giving out punishments for derailing, spiderman posts (and anything deemed as 'inappropriate posting') were simply put under a zero tolerance policy, and I'm sure you can remember the reaction that received (and iirc only a few AOs and forum mods even cared enough about this to punish people).

Basically what I'm trying to say I'm not even particularly attached to this thread, I just feel the entire attitude towards OTF is wrong. It's off-topic. This is meant to be the most active part of the forum, where anyone can come to share and discuss anything as long as it follows the rules of the board. Most topics that can actually provide serious discussion will be found elsewhere in the forum. If people can post something such as this and be amused by it, it should be kept open.

It's not even like you have to accept threads such as this if you are against them (tbh this whole exchange began because I felt that my definition of 'shitposting' differed from yours). You have every right to criticize them or to simply ignore them. I don't want to use the word 'freedom' because it sounds cliche, but at least that option opens up the OTF to a wider spectrum of material that others can find potentially entertaining, while others can stick to threads that promote serious contributions and discussion.

tl;dr: I never said I was against Spiderman-esque threads.

EDIT: I actually agree with Silentguns' stance. If it's kept to threads such as this, there is no harm done to the rest of the forum.

Edited by SexualHarassmentPanda

• Content Count:  11501

1. All new topics should have a clearly defined question or comment to debate or discuss in the first post. By starting the conversation with a contribution of your own time and effort, you show potential participants you are serious in your intention to engage in dialogue. It says that if they reply to your posts, you are likely to respond to theirs.

vvv

4. The forum moderators may reject posts based on their interpretation of these guidelines and specifically the violations listed in the section below. The infringing member may be warned, suspended, subjected to post moderation or have his/her membership permanently revoked, depending on the severity of the violation(s), as deemed by their discretion. Repetitive violation or disregard of our warnings may result in stricter civil and legal actions. Membership will be revoked if private messages from moderators or administrators are ignored.

I don't really care about posts like this in its own specified off-topic threads, but I also wouldn't hold it against any moderator if their interpretation is that it's pointless and to lock it. However, on the flip side, if you guys want to have threads like these, then the second it gets posted in an actual thread not pertaining to that specific topic, I also would not hold it against any forum moderator to take action against said person. (IE, posting random spiderman pictures into threads in off topic simply because it's off topic does not make it okay.)

• Like 1

• Content Count:  202

I need all the cat lovers to leave, pls (anyone NOT posting doge appreciation). Also, those that can't handle other people having fun simply because things don't coincide with their opinion of fun, pls remove broomstick from butt.

a05.png

• Like 1

• Content Count:  6466

It invalidates it because similar things are banned, such as spiderman threads. I actually used to enjoy spiderman threads but I can see why action was taken to prohibit them, because in all honestly they were stupid as fuck and the novelty wore off very, very quickly. If those moderating seek to allow this doge stuff then spiderman threads should be just as acceptable, and Xeno has already said this. I commend him for his consistency towards the matter, but I'm simply of the opinion that these types of things are cancer to the community.

Just because these things are popular doesn't make them any less fucking retarded. In most cases 'cancerous' shit actually comes along due to a lack of moderation and allowing the majority to decide what should and shouldn't be acceptable. Threads like these contribute nothing and discuss nothing, which is why I feel they should be treated in the same way spiderman threads were. Them being allowed or banned is irrelevant as to whether they are cancerous material or not.

The only issue I can foresee is people posting "doge" pictures or spiderman pictures in unrelated OTF threads. Which in those cases, as Caution states in the quote below, moderators can take action to remove them from the thread/punish whoever is using them in threads they do not belong.

As long as all 'doge' pictures and all Spiderman pictures stay in their own threads, I fail to see how it affects the remaining OTF threads. The second they leak out into other threads not specified for them, moderators can choose to delete/warn those posters that they are pointless/useless in any other thread than the one made specifically for them.

I don't really care about posts like this in its own specified off-topic threads, but I also wouldn't hold it against any moderator if their interpretation is that it's pointless and to lock it. However, on the flip side, if you guys want to have threads like these, then the second it gets posted in an actual thread not pertaining to that specific topic, I also would not hold it against any forum moderator to take action against said person. (IE, posting random spiderman pictures into threads in off topic simply because it's off topic does not make it okay.)

Might as well make a lenny face thread

(° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Would be pointless and locked/deleted because it is spam.

The main difference being that the lenny face is the same picture over and over again, while "doge" and spiderman pictures are of different photos with different phrases on them making them consistently entertaining to those who like them rather than simply the same picture repeated over and over.

Edited by XeNo

Reply to Thread