? servers

? players online

I need some life help

• Content Count:  73

Well, as some of you may know I just moved earlier this year, and I am finding it extremely hard even though its been a few months (this was only the second time I have ever moved, and the previous was 11 years ago.)

Ever since I got here, I have been down in the dumps, I can't seem to be able to think about anything without something making me feel like shit. Everything I had planned out in life for me to do, my friends, my overall life has changed in a negative way since I moved here, since this place is much smaller, there is less opportunity for me. My school doesn't have the courses my old school did for what I wanted to have a career in, and I have lost the majority of my happiness IRL.

I don't really know what to do since everything I had planned to do was left behind, and I just wanted to see if anyone had any advice for me. I don't know if i'm depressed, and I have friends here, but it just feels like the move has took my opportunity at a life that I would like away... So I thought maybe some people at SG could atleast help me somewhat, I don't want to bring it into IRL because it doesn't seem necessary at the moment.

• Content Count:  2103

Well, it may seem like it ruined your plans, but trust me, as soon as you get into college, most of the courses you would have taken wouldn't have helped anyway. Make friends, get addicted to LoL, Maybe get a girlfriend. I'm assuming you are in highschool. Which is the worst possible time to move. So I'm sorry for that. But soon you can go to whatever college you want as long as you get the grades. Don't give up. Destroy your SAT/ACT. With a B average and a 29 on my act, I got 30000 in scholarships. So just hang in there. College is completely different, and highschool barely teaches you anything anyways. Goodluck man

• Like 1
Edited by Octa

• Content Count:  4162

Well, it may seem like it ruined your plans, but trust me, as soon as you get into college, most of the courses you would have taken wouldn't have helped anyway. Make friends, get addicted to LoL, be glad you aren't, Maybe get a girlfriend. I'm assuming you are in highschool. Which is the worst possible time to move. So I'm sorry for that. But soon you can go to whatever college you want as long as you get the grades. Don't give up. Destroy your SAT/ACT. With a B average and a 29 on my act, I got 30000 in scholarships. So just hang in there. College is completely different, and highschool barely teaches you anything anyways. Goodluck man

^

Highschool bl0ws. Whatever you wanted to do, start it up in college. Get those GE's and start on your major. Assuming you're in highschool, have fun, you don't have much responsibility yet besides grades and general not-getting-too-fucked-up. Once you get into college, just walk the path you wanted to walk before you moved. Nothing new here.

• Like 1
Edited by Octa
ao coverup

• Content Count:  3697

Here's my advice, afterwards will be optional advice on highschool vs university.

I'll also assume you're in highschool and don't have control over where you live. If you're an adult and moved there of your own accord, and can't figure out how to remedy the situation, we have bigger problems to worry about than just giving you advice.

Finish up highschool wherever you currently are. Apply to university back where you're from (because it sounds like that is the school you want to attend), then move back there to attend university.

I moved away in grade 12. I wasn't thrilled, but I made the most of it and just enjoyed my time and made new friends. But I still wanted to graduate with my friends back home, so I ended up coming back here for the second semester in grade 12, and now I attend University here also. (I'm leaving out some details but that's the just of the story).

----------------------------------------

I disagree with them, highschool is easy as FUCK. If you aren't liking highschool, I personally would not recommend going to university or college, fair enough if the reason you aren't liking highschool is bullying, nobody gives a fuck about you in University, so you don't really have to worry much about that.

High school is the same as university, except in high-school there's no stress and almost a non-existent amount of work. And you aren't paying out the ass for attending school.

That being said, I completely agree with them in the sense that once you go to university, you choose which classes you take, however unless University is different wherever you live than it is in Canada, you still have a certain number of credits you need total. This means that yeah, you're majoring in X, but you still need like 60 credit units from other ass-random courses that you don't care about or like.

Welcome to Psychology, Biology, Organic Chemistry, Physics, Anthropology, Stats, Math, Econ, English, Commerce etc. And certainly there's a number of courses even in your major you won't like.

Now University definitely isn't all that bad, in fact University is pretty awesome. You get freedom (assuming you don't live with your parents, I had to move to attend Uni about 2 hours away so I don't have to see my parents every day, and I can do what I want whenever I want). But you also get a lot of responsibility. If you spend too much of your time on "freedom" and not enough studying and doing homework, you'll just start failing classes. And it's no longer "l0l failed a class", it's FUCK, I just wasted 4 months and a shit ton of money on this bullshit class I didn't even want to take (but had to) and now I failed it and have to re-take it, (or drop out).

This isn't to discourage you from going to Uni or College. While working in the summer I look forward to going back to school (though during the school year I look forward to going back to work), however if you can't buckle down in high school, then you are in for a shotgun blast to the nuts in university.

High school was a do nothing-get 80s-90s. University is a do-way-more, get 70s-80s. (My personal experience, results may vary. Some people I know still get mid-high 90s, but they also devote ~10+ hours every single day of the week, all semester long to ensuring they know all of the material).

This is merely preparation for the fact that high-school may not be the most enjoyable period of your life (depending on your situation) but it is by far the easiest part of your adult(ish) life.

Good luck, back to studying for Linear Algrebra final.... And I hate linear algebra..

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2589

According to your profile, you're only 15. Assuming you just turned 15 this school year, and even if you turn 16 before the school year is up, that means you are either a Freshman or a Sophomore. You still have 2 years of high school left. It wasn't until my junior year (last year) that I figured out what I wanted to do, and my school only really has one course to help prepare me for that. I wouldn't let the fact that your school doesn't have many classes to "prepare" you for your major get you down. Not to mention countless amounts of people change their major when they get to college. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to stick with mine, simply because I want to be a journalism/yearbook teacher so I can continue to work on the yearbook that made my life 100x better.

Long story short, don't let the small shit get you down. High school is easy as fuck, and I am saying that as a Senior in high school. I mean, shit, I have 8 class periods and I do work in maybe 2, on a bad day 3.

Of the courses your school does offer, just try to find something that makes you happy such as band, choir, yearbook, AG, drama etc.

• Content Count:  410

Thanks everyone, these posts have helped calm me down a bit, considering where I am there is quite a few good universities and colleges (not close, but not far.) Now that I know that high school doesn't mean too much, i'm not nearly as worried.

Also, I am a sophomore :p

May I ask why you moved?

• Content Count:  885

Being a kid who has moved 6 times in 15 years, I can sympathize. You said that you had friends, which is a wicked good start imo. I expect that you're tight knit at least. Anyways, find common ground and do shit with them; toss a football, lift, run, play video games, go fishing (all my favorites at least). That will guaranteed get your mind off anything else. And don't be afraid to just let loose your true feelings on these guys. Trust me, they'll feel for you (as long as you don't go ape shit crying on their shoulders that is).

Regarding school and your future with careers and whatnot. I expect your in high school. I can assure you that in no way will your high school classes affect your career that badly. My brother wanted to be a foreign relations ambassador. There wasn't a class for that in his high school and now he's graduating next year with a Major in foreign relations and an internship as a junior ambassador. My older sister wants to be an anthropologist. There wasn't a course for that at our high school either. She just finished up a gap year studying anthropology with a program and is now admitted into one of the top anthropology schools in the world. Just stick to your general subjects and keep up the good grades to go to a specialized college. If everyone astronaut and race car driver had astronaut courses and race car courses in high school then fuck me sideways. It won't work like that. In the mean time, study up and read a bit about what you want to do when your older and when the time comes, just apply to the right college.

The key idea overall is adaptability. Even if you stayed at home, you and your friends and your family would all have to be separated eventually. It's not an event that makes someone unhappy; it's the way they react to that event. Make the most out of the opportunities you have and sooner or later, you'll be set.

Reply to Thread