? servers

? players online

Random Question of the Day [March 26th, 2014]

• Content Count:  2167

I've heard that once you learn one Germanic language it is quite easy to pick up another. Anyone care to confirm or deny this/share your experiences? I am kind of wanting to learn a new language ATM.

• Content Count:  4550

I think people misunderstand the meaning of 'multilingual'. Unless you can understand most of it through the various forms of communications, I wouldn't consider it another language I am lingual in.

Besides that, this is how it pretty much goes for the UK citizen:

Go to school -> learn English -> get forced for 3 years to learn of another language and poorly at that -> never learn anything more -> leave school knowing only English -> Profit.

Here is how it goes for everywhere else:

Go to school -> learn native language -> get forced to learn English and perhaps even another language -> leave school with 2 + languages -> Profit.

Being English is great.

• Content Count:  3401

I think people misunderstand the meaning of 'multilingual'. Unless you can understand most of it through the various forms of communications, I wouldn't consider it another language I am lingual in.

Go to school -> learn English -> get forced for 3 years to learn of another language and poorly at that -> never learn anything more -> leave school knowing only English -> Profit.

Go to school -> learn native language -> get forced to learn English and perhaps even another language -> leave school with 2 + languages -> Profit.

Being English is great.

I was forced to learn German and French, lets just say I failed them both... horribly. Who even wants to go to Germany?

• Content Count:  1064

Being English is great.

When my French teacher was living in France, her students started off taking French first. When they were getting out of elementary, they had to pick up English and another language. So one of her old students was learning French, English and Russian all at once. Life must've sucked for that kid.

Anyways, I learned a little bit of French as a kid since both my parents and older brother can speak it and now I'm currently learning the rest of the language in school. I actually want to take another language. Maybe Russian or Italian.

• Content Count:  275

Being English is great.

At the private school I went to in America, they had kids learning Spanish starting in Kindergarten, and getting to option to do French in 9th grade. We all sucked at it and didn't know a thing, even after 7 or 8 years. I switched to French and learned fuck all. I can't learn languages apparently.

Reply to Thread