? servers

? players online

PSA: Serious Security Breach on Steam

• Content Count:  5063

Havent gotten any email nor sms from steam so im guessing its all good? And as i cant access my inventory the servers must be down.

When it comes to payment info, names, phone numbers that isnt any issue if you dont have the payment info saved right?

Edited by floffypus

• Content Count:  6242

Steam disabled their login procedures to fix issues, the login servers are back up and people are reporting things looks like its back to normal.

More information on this, it seems a cache/session issue was to blame here where people were sharing each others sessions and/or cache info. This information is used for when you make a purchase that it make sure it goes through and usually is deleted within 10 minutes. It appears this may have not been the case. If you have Steam Guard enabled (which if you don't you are an idiot), you really had nothing to worry about.

All credit card information (full numbers and details) are encrypted by federal law and were not accessed. It also doesn't appear and password hashes were accessed.

I am calling this a glitch with the store. STEAM WAS NOT HACKED. Someone probably updated a bit of coding that had an unwanted effect where you could see things that are normally hidden.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1747

When it comes to payment info, names, phone numbers that isnt any issue if you dont have the payment info saved right?

I believe it is correct, it will not save it.

On other news, according to SteamDB, seems that the storm has passed, if you're still getting errors veryifing login information, restart your steam client.

If you're interested on what might've been the reason for all this issues, xPaw made a pretty good post explaining here.

While caching is safe, refrain from making any money transactions for now, until valve releases an actual statement.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  6242

Here is an excerpt from an e-mail sent to some retail outlets regarding the issue:

"Steam is back up and running without any known issue. As a result of a configuration change earlier today, a caching issue allowed some users to randomly see pages generated for other users for a period of less than an hour. This issue has since been resolved. We believe no unauthorized actions were allowed on accounts beyond the viewing of cached page information and no additional action is required by users."

For more information: http://www.pcgamer.com/warning-steam-is-revealing-private-account-information/

Reply to Thread