? servers

? players online

Is mass constant?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is mass constant?

Is mass constant?

• Content Count:  1385

Quite a simple question really.

Is mass a constant variable? Does it or can it change?

I wanted to make this poll cuz I am honestly interested in what you guys think. Ill explain the answer when I wake up tomorrow If I don't forget.

• Content Count:  2230

I put yes at a first glance, though I was thinking way too deeply. After a bit of a nudge in the right direction and taking into consideration things I hadn't even thought about, I wish I could change my answer.

• Content Count:  422

It honestly depends where, in certain conditions mass can be constant. But gravity changes place to place, and eninsteins theory state that mass and energy are the same. In the universe I would say mass is not constant as the law of conservation of matter has been proven many times that it is wrong.

• Content Count:  2579

It honestly depends where, in certain conditions mass can be constant. But gravity changes place to place, and eninsteins theory state that mass and energy are the same. In the universe I would say mass is not constant as the law of conservation of matter has been proven many times that it is wrong.

Milkmilkmilk..

Weight =/= mass. Weight depends on the gravity you're on, for example,i'd weight tons on Saturn

Mass is supposed to stay the same in a hermetically closed space ( like a lab ), but thats only according to the conservation law, which is likely to be true.

I've read somewhere in a book that mass and energy were NOT constant at 100%, but more at a 99.99999999% rate

It would mean that a little tiny chicke foetus bit of it is lost somewhere,can't validate that shit by myself so don't quote me there

I'd say yes, according to our technology level, we can say that mass is indeed constant

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1385

It's not constant. It's relative.

It increases if you speed up.

One of the reasons why we won't be able to go at the speed of light is cuz the mass would be infinite and you can't really move such an object, it has too much inertia.

13140260b4090e9eee65e5f075ed5636.png

If v is equal to c then sqrt(1 - 1) = 0, dividing anything by zero gives you infinity.

It's really hard to observe because...

Let's say you're pushing a shopping cart by a constant velocity of 10 m/s. It's mass is 10 kg.

v = 10 m/s

m = 10 kg

c = ~300e8 m/s

f8a31acf66f41df788a76a1017dd2f6d.png

Tbf, my calculator just says fuck it and the sqrt is still 1. It's such a small number it's impossible to notice.

Time and length is also relative. Pretty interesting actually.

Oh by the way, there were actually tests done that back this up.

• Like 1
Edited by Vy

Reply to Thread