? servers

? players online

Don't Stay In School

• Content Count:  1468

I somewhat agree. Subjects like maths should be mandatory, when don't you use it? IT, with the world becoming more technologically advanced, yeah to an extent. I don't think history is useful. Nor geography. Many subjects are pointless. Languages are nice, yes. You won't use them in your everyday life. More actual *life* lessons need to be taught.

I couldn't care about how a fucking heart looks cut in half. I wanna know how to take care of a child - How to PREVENT getting a child at a young age etc. A LOT of the lessons taught in schools are useless. Should they be mandatory? Fuck no. Should they exist? Yeah, definitely.

"Don't stay in school" Is definitely exaggerated. School teaches you many good lessons. Behavior lessons, obedience lessons etc.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  8383

School is more a foundation to build on than everything you need in life. Even after school, college, trade school, whatever you're always still learning new things beyond that. However if you didn't learn the basics you would be at a disadvantage to those that did. Should we teach more useful things in school? Probably, but I don't think it's wasted as the guy in the video believes.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  657

I somewhat agree. Subjects like maths should be mandatory, when don't you use it? IT, with the world becoming more technologically advanced, yeah to an extent. I don't think history is useful. Nor geography. Many subjects are pointless. Languages are nice, yes. You won't use them in your everyday life. More actual *life* lessons need to be taught.

I couldn't care about how a fucking heart looks cut in half. I wanna know how to take care of a child - How to PREVENT getting a child at a young age etc. A LOT of the lessons taught in schools are useless. Should they be mandatory? Fuck no. Should they exist? Yeah, definitely.

"Don't stay in school" Is definitely exaggerated. School teaches you many good lessons. Behavior lessons, obedience lessons etc.

"We must learn from history or we are doomed to repeat it" - John F. Kennedy

• Like 1

• Content Count:  422

I've seen this video before, his thoughts were always the same as mine to begin with. Countless amount of topics we learn in school are completely unnecessary for the real world. I mean unless I become a historian of some sort, would I ever really need to know about the history of Greece. Yes it's a very interesting subject and I wouldn't be surprised to see some people to enjoy the topic. But the majority of people wouldn't really care about the current, past, or future of a completely unrelated country.

Some people say that learning all this stuff is to build your intellect to prepare for the real world. For example, memory is one thing they say is a skill learned through this teaching. But why would I want to gain memory from a subject I'm not interested compared to something I want to learn about and would be more excited about the subject.

I once talked to my teacher about these unnecessary subjects we learn in school. My teacher said she completely disagreed of what we learned, she wished she could teach us more useful things like taxes, mortgages, and common sense. Some of these things could really be learned how to be used in the real world.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  189

Some of it is true, some I would disagree with. School builds a foundation for most children when they're growing up, without an adult/teacher, children would grow up to be freaking animals with no respect, manners, or dignity. Like Stunning said, most subject give no valid connection nor point to the real world or our reality today. But subjects like history have to be taught because we DON'T want to repeat some events of history again (like ww2, the war of 1812, etc). We learn from history so that we can use the past to change tomorrow from today. History itself shows us how to live life properly sometimes socially, economically, and emotionally. Some subjects are useless yeah, unless you're going into a major or would like specifically learn something (geography, science, etc). Although sometimes we do need to appreciate knowledge in general because it can help us in the most unexpected of times. Children and students do need to know information to get a good education, which in return gets them a good job if they work hard enough (whether not they like studying/working). And a job provides them with money and financial stability, which in return gives them the capacity to live life. In retrospect, education and learning may not seem so appealing or useful, but at the end of the day with such a competitive and highly populated world we have now, it is absolutely imperative due to the face that that's you can survive. You need an education, you need proper learning and life skills, you need to know how the world works. Plus for those who hate school with a passion, it teaches them that sometimes you don't always get what you want, and that what needs to be done has to be done.

Side thought: I agree with Milk and his teacher here. Countries and ministries of education should adjust and modify their curriculum accordingly, so that lessons can be related to the real world; we should be learning more skills that we can apply and extend off of.

Also, many things that you don't feel like you're learning at school, you really are. The most basic example I can think of is group work during school. It teaches you how to work effectively with people you like and people you dislike (whether not they have the skills and capabilities to work efficiently is irrelevant), because in the real world, you will encounter many people that you like and dislike, and that's something you can't change unfortunately. You have to learn to cope with those that give you a hard time. @Stunningjam [Wasn't that tag perfect? I'm amazing] School teaches fundamental skills that playing video games at home and being homeschooled while doing math drills online doesn't teach you. Life is a terminal disease. Education could be or not be part of the symptoms.

Thanks for reading anyone that actually spent the time to take a look at my opinions.

Keep learning guys (instead of playing SG when you're supposed to study >.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  2589

You didn't watch the video did you? "Insist these pointless things don't stay in school". He wasn't saying for people to drop out of school.

History is extremely useful. True, you probably don't need to know every detail about certain things, but the main thing is that history not only influences our everyday lives, but it teaches us not to repeat some mistakes. Cough cough, WW2/Holocaust.

To play devil's advocate, most schools do offer things such as child care, and tax classes.

But, the issue you run into is that most schools only have like 7-8 class periods. You then run into shit like having to take the 4 core subjects, so now you have 3-4 slots. Then you have to take X class and Y class, leaving you with very little chances to take the classes you want.

Really the biggest issue with school, is you are forced to take all these classes, and very rarely do you even learn. Schooling is so focused on testing and having kids memorize things. For example, my school required 2 years of a foreign language (and only offered Spanish). I ended up taking 3 years and all I learned was very basic spanish words, how to count to 15, and that there was a love triangle among the cheerleaders.

• Content Count:  5678

For example, my school required 2 years of a foreign language (and only offered Spanish). I ended up taking 3 years and all I learned was very basic spanish words, how to count to 15, and that there was a love triangle among the cheerleaders.

I've been taking Spanish (the only thing elementary/middle offers) for 7 years, (Since I was in 1st grade) and this year we are learning the foods.

I've learned the foods 7 times.

Reply to Thread