? servers

? players online

Giveaway (Paradox game)

• Content Count:  5678

1. Pinocchio paradox

If he says that it will grow, but it doesn't, he's lying. But it grows when he lies, so he'd be telling the truth. But his nose still grew while he told the truth.

2. The Grandmotherless girl

A girl goes into the past and kills her grandmother. Since her grandmother is dead, the girl was never born. If she was never born, she never killed her grandmother.

3. Crocodile Dillema

A slim crocodile living in the Nile took a child. His mother begged to have him back. The crocodile could not only talk, but was also a great sophist and stated, "If you guess correctly what I will do with him, I will return him. However, if you don't predict his fate correctly, I'll eat him." What statement should the mother make to save her child?

I might do some bonus ones but for now this is all. Whoever gets all three right gets a prize. If you use Google I wouldn't know anyway but please don't. I will draw winners on 6/15/16. Good luck to all, try your best. I just wanted to try something new and see how this works out. Anyone of any rank can join in.

• Content Count:  1546

these hurt my soul

how the fuck am i supposed to answer these LOL

"You will eat the child" is that right

hes going to eat the child anyways who cares

• Like 1
Edited by michellec

• Content Count:  2941

1. Fuck you. He never said what was going to grow.

2. I believe in multiverse theory.

3. The grandmother has to say "See you later, alligator." The Crocodile will then be forced to reply with "In a while, crocodile." and thus leave.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1083

1) His nose didn't grow while telling the truth, it was a result of him lying which in return led to him telling the truth. So there is no problem because his nose only grew while lying

2) While going back into the past you are then affecting the course of essentially a copy universe instead of actually going back into your own history; a new timeline is created. -OR- When you go back to kill a grandparent you then cannot be born, thus meaning your grandparent cannot be killed, thus meaning you can then be born to go kill your grandparent, and so on. (This is not a paradox, but a loop as a result of the universe having potential to exist in a superposition of two states, one of which being that your grandparent is dead and another in which your grandparent is alive. This ends up creating a result of a superposition of two states as well.)

3) "You will return him if I get the answer right.".

edit: have fun figuring out what I am saying

• Like 1
Edited by FLuiD

• Content Count:  954

the rule of a paradox is that there is no true answer.

the classic paradox that represents most time travel paradox is the grandfather paradox, which is basically what you stated in the second paradox

basically, the idea of, if you go into the past to change something, then you never would've had the need to change it, so you never would've gone back into the past to change it, so it never would've been changed.

as such, in order for this game to be fair you must do one of two things:

1: change the paradox in such way as to make it have a definite end

or

2: make a riddle disguised as a paradox

the first one is horribly worded but let's assume that "it" is pinnochio's nose

if he says that it will grow, it's not a lie, it is an assumption. if you were to state it as if it was not an assumption, even then it's simple. him saying that his nose will grow is not a lie inherently, since if it doesn't grow, it will be a lie, which means it WILL grow, ending the chain there, his statement came true, his nose WAS going to grow, with the only reason it not growing being that his statement came true. there is no back and forth here, there's no return to "the original statement was true therefore his nose doesn't grow" since the state of it being a lie already came about. bad wording but you can decipher it and my intention from this i'm sure

the second one is old af and has literally only one answer: alternate timelines. this shit was explained in back to the future. when a time-changing event comes about it separates the timeline, and once you proceed into the future it runs down the timeline in which the change occurred.

the best way to explain it is with a handy dandy graph

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14939[/ATTACH]

the third one is a riddle not a goddamn paradox FUCK

the answer is one of two things

"If I answer correctly, you will let him go."

or, the more common answer

"If I answer incorrectly, you will eat him."

where the fuck is my prize

• Content Count:  570

Do I win now?

Also, There is no right answer for a paradox.

There could be theories about it, but no absolute definite answer, that would defeat the purpose of a paradox and it would just be 2 statements trying to pose a hypothetical situation

and no point in trying to answer now when @Kurohime said all that i was going to say

Edited by support my admin app
memes

• Content Count:  5055

Never heard of the first two, but for the last one I think I heard it in one of my college courses. The most logical for the mom is to say "You will return my child" in which case the crocodile has to return the child or not.

However, if the mom says "You will not return my child," then there's a dilemma since if the crocodile keeps the child he violated whatever he said since the mom guessed correctly and the child should be returned but if the crocodile returns the child to the mother he still violated whatever he said since the mom's prediction would be wrong.

• Content Count:  1083

the rule of a paradox is that there is no true answer.

the classic paradox that represents most time travel paradox is the grandfather paradox, which is basically what you stated in the second paradox

basically, the idea of, if you go into the past to change something, then you never would've had the need to change it, so you never would've gone back into the past to change it, so it never would've been changed.

as such, in order for this game to be fair you must do one of two things:

1: change the paradox in such way as to make it have a definite end

or

2: make a riddle disguised as a paradox

the first one is horribly worded but let's assume that "it" is pinnochio's nose

if he says that it will grow, it's not a lie, it is an assumption. if you were to state it as if it was not an assumption, even then it's simple. him saying that his nose will grow is not a lie inherently, since if it doesn't grow, it will be a lie, which means it WILL grow, ending the chain there, his statement came true, his nose WAS going to grow, with the only reason it not growing being that his statement came true. there is no back and forth here, there's no return to "the original statement was true therefore his nose doesn't grow" since the state of it being a lie already came about. bad wording but you can decipher it and my intention from this i'm sure

the second one is old af and has literally only one answer: alternate timelines. this shit was explained in back to the future. when a time-changing event comes about it separates the timeline, and once you proceed into the future it runs down the timeline in which the change occurred.

the best way to explain it is with a handy dandy graph

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14939[/ATTACH]

the third one is a riddle not a goddamn paradox FUCK

the answer is one of two things

"If I answer correctly, you will let him go."

or, the more common answer

"If I answer incorrectly, you will eat him."

where the fuck is my prize

there are multiple "answers" to these things, especially since they aren't actually paradoxs.

Reply to Thread