? servers

? players online

College

• Content Count:  649

Now this may seem like a poor topic, but hold on a second. I am on my third day of living on my campus and I'm starting to get used to the groove of just LIVING on campus. Haven't gotten to the work part yet...

My one thing for the people on here who have been to college or is currently in college now. How did you survive your first year? I'm very stressed right now and I need some company and friends even though real life friends are doing fine right now. I can't leave you all here hanging.

The first year is the easiest, your anus hasn't even gaped yet. You've got a ways to go.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  1671

If I regret anything during my college years it was not getting involved enough.

Go to different clubs, join a sport, go to events that are around your college, especially since you live on campus.

You don't have to stick to one club or activity, just get yourself out there.

Don't procrastinate. If you do everything the last minute you're gonna regret it.

Try to keep a consistent schedule. For me, what worked best, was to try to have classes from 11:00-3:15 everyday so I would free time at the end of the day. A lot of people tend to schedule their classes on the same days, like having all their classes on Tues/Thurs. (I dont know how your classes/school systems work). I found that having a similar sleep schedule throughout the year kept me more sane.

GET SOME SLEEP. Theres no point in going to class if you're going to sleep the whole hour.

Take notes. Even if your professor says most of the info comes from the book, 80% of the time, something that you wrote down will be on a test or something in the future. Make at least one friend in each class. Even if you don't plan on hanging out with them or being long term friends, it's nice to have someone to pair up with if you need to.

Make sure you eat regularly. I don't know what kind of meal plans you have, just make sure you're eating actual meals and not just granola bars and chocolate all day.

Don't let your nerves get to you. Chances are, most of everyone else is in the same boat as you are. Just give yourself time, it'll be okay.

Even though I've been told by lots of people to get out there: clubs, sports, etc. I feel as if I would never have the time to do it. I have so much on my mind that I feel like I have work to do everyday even though for some reason I don't. I usually go to sleep at a pretty good time to get me 7-8 or even 9 hours of sleep so I can be ready. But its hard because stress has filled in my mind and my body and its bringing me down and making me weak to my knees. I've always had anxiety issues throughout my life when I go through drastic changes in life but then it goes away after a while when I'm used to it.

I guess only time will tell...

• Content Count:  639

Even though I've been told by lots of people to get out there: clubs, sports, etc. I feel as if I would never have the time to do it. I have so much on my mind that I feel like I have work to do everyday even though for some reason I don't. I usually go to sleep at a pretty good time to get me 7-8 or even 9 hours of sleep so I can be ready. But its hard because stress has filled in my mind and my body and its bringing me down and making me weak to my knees. I've always had anxiety issues throughout my life when I go through drastic changes in life but then it goes away after a while when I'm used to it.

Everyone was stressed their first few weeks, just wait until your first finals week. If you're living in the on-campus dorms, get to know your suitemates as you'll be living in close proximity for the whole year.

What do you mean you won't have time for extracurriculars? Just don't spend your all your free time playing videogames, this will only hurt you in the long run. Do you know what you're majoring in yet? If you go into STEM, you should get to know some professors (i.e., go to office hours) who you might be interested in doing research with, experience in the field goes a long way besides just obtaining a high GPA. You shouldn't worry about getting a lab position until your 2nd/3rd year though but it is something to consider.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  701

Honestly one of the biggest mistakes I made my first year of college was not getting involved and putting myself out there. I was a volunteer for the orientation at my college for the new students this summer and I told each and everyone of them the same thing: Push past your comfort zone and try something new. Whether it's interest's in curriculum or outside activities via clubs or sports teams, now's the best time to try for something new. You're going to a new place where there's no previous reputations or any of that high school bullshit that lingers here and there. You're a new face along with a lot of other new people so a lot of other people will experience the same nervousness and discomfort that you're going through. Making a friend, talking to new people, and trying out new things is the key to breaking the ice for college in my opinion.

Personally, one of my biggest weaknesses was straight up talking to new people. My form of anxiety is similar to yours in that I don't like to take leaps at new things, but I also have a hard time just saying hello to a random person. Despite this, I still pushed myself to make at least two friends that year and sure enough, I got two buddies now to complain about shit professors and bad schedules with.

The other big factor that I mentioned to the lovely new people at orientation was that you have to be flexible. Find a way to brace yourself for whatever happens, and just take it step by step. Thing's might not turn out the way you want, but more or less your college experience is shaped by how you respond to occurrences and your own actions.

You should definitely at least try joining clubs / a team if you're athletic. You don't have to commit to anything yet, but not experiencing it could turn out to be a bigger let down than going through it and realizing it's not for you.

Most importantly, it's college, you're nervous now but you'll soon learn that it's just another step in your life that you go through, and that the outcomes here are in your control, not some other persons. Everyone approaches college differently, find what's comfortable for you.

Hopefully this somewhat helps. I'm going into my 3rd year in a couple of weeks and honestly I still find discomfort in things here and there. Taking advantage of the resources I have at my school helps me get by and grow more.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1438

The only thing I can suggest is to you is to find a way to balance your time. I worked after class everyday and would spent free time doing homework. But I also had one or two free days that I used solely for any extra curriculars/ clubs/ free time. To this day after I've graduated, I still have the same day free just so i can have some time to myself/ with others/ video games ect. I can definitely empathize with you as I've struggled with anxiety as well. It does take time to adjust; hell, this is probably one of the biggest changes you'll experience. Im not sure what kind of college you go to, but they're bound to have some sort of club that you'd be interested in. Its not as if you'd have to go to every meeting either.

Also, my college had a sort of free therapy place you could go to. You could talk to a counselor for six visits regarding finals, stress whatever you wanted. That would be something you should look into as well, if you wanted

• Like 1

Reply to Thread