? servers

? players online

vista=lag?

• Content Count:  678

Tons of misinformation in this thread. The point is the OS isn't affecting his gaming performance, his hardware is.

kinda what i said xD

i said his laptop sucks

maybe because its a laptop...

laptops aren't the best for gaming!

towers ftw!

• Content Count:  4960

Wrong, Certain things on vista cause games to run slowly for example UAC turning it off will help. There are chances that the desktop clock thing can have an effect on it not for m but my friend did.

I have vista no problems and would rather have it.

Agreed, turning off hibernation mode manually can save you some memory too.

• Content Count:  1230

the card i am using is a nivida gfx card and it is 2x better then my old xp laptop and that ran great with no lag. i think i tjust might be vista.... dam.

A lot of laptops use integrated NVIDIA chips or low end NVIDIA media cards. Just because it's an NVIDIA doesn't mean it's meant for gaming. Post your specs. I can almost guarantee your laptop has IG.

• Content Count:  1662

Be more specific in your specs. High powered gfx card seems fishy to me. Since you're on a laptop odds are you're running on board video or a media card not meant for gaming. It has an AMD cpu so it's probably the case, since most if not all higher end laptops are using Intel.

Open Steam, click help then system information. Come back and post it's content.

right, vista does take up alot more resources than xp, but not that much more, and FYI laptop graphics are always shite, AMD doesnt have the the best mobile cpu around. EDIT: AMD have no good CPU's atm

vista needs more ram to function. so it a ball-park what your problems are, post specs please

in run, type dxdiag and give us the info, then we might be able to help

Edited by tinkerbell

• Content Count:  6741

AMD doesnt have the the best mobile cpu around. EDIT: AMD have no good CPU's atm

The AMD Quad Core Phenom 9950 got a higher benchmark rating than the Intel Quad Core 9450...

• Content Count:  3440

the card i am using is a nivida gfx card and it is 2x better then my old xp laptop and that ran great with no lag. i think i tjust might be vista.... dam.

It's very easy to be quick to blame Vista especially if this is your first experience with it. However..

A lot of laptops use integrated NVIDIA chips or low end NVIDIA media cards. Just because it's an NVIDIA doesn't mean it's meant for gaming. Post your specs. I can almost guarantee your laptop has IG.

I think Zero001 nailed it here.. It is most likely a hardware of driver problem. Not an OS issue. A Geforce 8800 will easily outperform a Geforce 9500 so just saying it's newer or has more video RAM doesn't really say much. Also you are probably using an integrated version of whatever nvidia card you have (which is a huge performance decrease). Lag can be caused by tons of things.. most likely not your video card.

To really troubleshoot your problem you'd need to post all of your specs as well as a list of what you currently have running (process list) And that's just to get started.

Reply to Thread