? servers

? players online

FFA Release WishList

• Content Count:  678

On 5/19/2022 at 6:46 PM, Gentoo said:

I don't think it will be difficult to create a good warm-up/practice server. Mostly involves just pulling elements that you like from other servers, HS/Eco modes, map rotation or fixed maps, headshot/hit sounds, etc. I don't think there's a lot of input to give here or a lot of groundbreaking things you can do apart from directly polling the community and offering some sort of contest/stimulus for people to come populate. My issue with this sort of FFA is that it doesn't really foster a community all that well. People don't talk on these types of servers or check out the community. They log on, get their kills, and log off - even during this servers prime we didn't see any community influx, we just had another active server under our belt.

The riskier but more fun and rewarding alternative is building your own gamemode that would foster a community. Gamemodes in this vein would be crackheads, gingham, combat surf etc. This allows you to do custom maps, cosmetics, plugins etc in a way that gives you a lot more creative liberty. We have dabbled with this in the past obviously, but a lot of our shortcomings are pretty self evident and wouldn't be difficult to address this time around - not that we wouldn't be digging up a whole host of new ones and have much less regulars to get the initial population.

I think Gentoo has a strong take here. If I join an ffa server, I have nothing in mind but practice and then the games after. Things like tracers and paintballs have little to zero value to me, as well as server specific accolades. 
If I find myself having fun on the server, is when I tend to want to know more. FFA style, somewhat mini games would be interesting to see. Those old gmod TTT servers where you’d play two rounds of normal ttt, and then a round of one in the chamber, hot potato, noscope battles, etc. 

Reply to Thread