? servers

? players online

Vista

• Content Count:  167

Vista isn't rubbish by any means. XP is a great OS, but I wouldn't go out of my way to uninstall Vista just to get XP back. Vista had some problems for the first few months when it first came out with driver compatibility and RAM usage, both of which have been fixed, but the general public never forgave them. That's why Microsoft is giving up on Vista, not because it sucks, but because it realized it can't change the public's perception that Vista sucks.

And like everyone else said, just go for whatever version of Vista comes free/is cheapest. The higher levels really don't provide much if any extra benefit. Home Basic is the cheapest I believe, but I think you can get Home premium for a few bucks more, which just has a few add-ons, but doesn't change much. I used the Home Premium version of Vista for about a year and had no qualms with it. Ran all my programs/games/hardware just fine. Only reason I stopped using it was I screwed up my partitions trying to dual boot Ubuntu and I had lost the Vista disk, so I just found my old XP disc and I'm back using that.

• Content Count:  167

I know right Rofl. In all seriousness though, lets get back to the main problem. Give us details as to what is the best Vista OS. I chose the 32 bit simply in order to test some hardware, but I am very curious about the 64 bit and how well that would perform. Ulimate vs premium and so on and so forth. Do you know anything about Vista Havok, such as first hand experience that you could compare pros and cons?

Here's Microsoft's attempt at explaining the benefits of the different versions, which looks to be just a bunch of fluff.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

As for the bit versions, if your computer has more then 4 GB of RAM, I recommend using 64 bit OS, otherwise you won't get the full benefit of your RAM. If you only have 2 GB, still to the 32 bit OS.

• Content Count:  2645

Yeah, because it was supposed to be a post-2000 OS. There was ME as well, which was rubbish.

they should have called that Mediocre Edition (no really, they should)

On a side note:

I wouldn't touch vista with a 10 foot pole, really because the fact that it is not as compatible with apps or programs as it is with XP. Although I might try windows 7 trial version to see what its like...

Edited by James

• Content Count:  678

Find me a program in today's world that isn't compatible with Vista.

Vird,

If your only going to have it for a few days then just get the cheapest one there is which is Vista Basic.

AMEN most things are now compatible with vista

If they're not just open up properties and then change as to run in XP service pack 1

It will run then

I did it when my wireless didn't work on my Vista...

Clever yes?

XP blows anyway

Stick with vista

• Content Count:  1554

Here's Microsoft's attempt at explaining the benefits of the different versions, which looks to be just a bunch of fluff.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/compare-editions/default.aspx

As for the bit versions, if your computer has more then 4 GB of RAM, I recommend using 64 bit OS, otherwise you won't get the full benefit of your RAM. If you only have 2 GB, still to the 32 bit OS.

I laughed at that comparison chart.

I'm using Vista and I think it's fine. It has an option to run programs in XP compatibility and it works well.

If you're going to get Vista, get the cheapest one, Vir. Since you plan on throwing it away for XP, don't bother selecting the quality of Vista then.

• Content Count:  3736

they should have called that Mediocre Edition (no really, they should)

On a side note:

I wouldn't touch vista with a 10 foot pole, really because the fact that it is not as compatible with apps or programs as it is with XP. Although I might try windows 7 trial version to see what its like...

WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, WTF..did you read the biginning of the thread..

The latest SP makes it compatible with virtually everything Ive seen so far..if you guys can name one app..go ahead..

Talk to any tech guy that has worked with vista and they'll tell you..its better!! Havok your post doesnt make sense

• Content Count:  4980

Ok, cut the crap. Now let's come to the final conclusion.

Which one is best; Vista or XP?

I say Vista because it's newer and has anti-virus shit and has better RAM and graphic card (as far as i'm concered) But XP on the other hand is also pretty good: They made it easy for users to use XP (not so complicated as Vista.)

• Content Count:  3736

Ok, cut the crap. Now let's come to the final conclusion.

Which one is best; Vista or XP?

I say Vista because it's newer and has anti-virus shit and has better RAM and graphic card (as far as i'm concered) But XP on the other hand is also pretty good: They made it easy for users to use XP (not so complicated as Vista.)

Vista is better period..the only reason you find XP easier to use is because youve been using it for longer prolly even the only thing you used since your so young...use vista for a couple weeks you'll get use to it....

• Content Count:  3440

Vista is better period..the only reason you find XP easier to use is because youve been using it for longer prolly even the only thing you used since your so young...use vista for a couple weeks you'll get use to it....

Sorry, You're wrong. Havok nailed it.. It depends on the user & use.

I use Vista at home, however at work we could not come up with a valid (business) reason to go to Vista. We have just started putting Vista on new machines. I wouldn't go as far as to say that Vista is just better in every way, but it isn't as bad as a lot of people want to make it out to be either.

Reply to Thread