? servers

? players online

Strange use of Ram on L4D.

• Content Count:  6712

The min requirement of RAM for L4D is 1gb for xp, so I assume that this means that it uses quite a bit under that so that other programmes can run...

This is why I cannot understand why my L4D is using up 1.5gb of ram and crashing because of ram overuse.

Any tips of what is happening/how to fix it?

I might possibly be CPU or something, I really don't know I guess when I see it again I'll ss it.

Edited by Lux

• Content Count:  6741

Your running other things in the background right? Ventrilo? MSN? any other unneeded process. They're all going to use up your hardware, best way to fix that would be to update it.

• Content Count:  2645

yea if you use background applications like vent itunes explorer etc then it will hog up your resources if you play games like left 4 dead or gta 4 which use up a fair bit of ram

Normally I would only have Vent up and Steam(ofc) if I'm playing L4D.

I have 2 GB of ram and it says the min requirement on xp is 1 GB so it makes and it wouldn't take up 1 GB because then you could literally be running nothing else, but it even goes over 1 GB of use. It must be over 1.5 GB of use because Vent and other things won't take up much.

• Content Count:  4960

Yeah just everyone else said, you have to close all of the resource hogging programs or atleast set their priority to low with the task manager. I don't know about Window Media Player though, I heard it actually increases performance.. or maybe that's for XP.

Put this in the set Launch Options

-high

It set's Left 4 Dead's priority to guess what? high..

Yeah just everyone else said, you have to close all of the resource hogging programs or atleast set their priority to low with the task manager. I don't know about Window Media Player though, I heard it actually increases performance.. or maybe that's for XP.

Put this in the set Launch Options

-high

It set's Left 4 Dead's priority to guess what? high..

I know all of this, but its about L4D using more ram than it should be using, rather than my other programs.

• Content Count:  2645

Well what graphics settings do you have it on? If it's on high then you are gonna need more memory to draw up all of those textures - oh wait, nvm thats the purpose of the graphics card.

• Content Count:  1839

while all of you make valid points, the fact remains that L4D should NOT use that much ram, hence the crashing. the max ive seen it should use under normal circumstances is ~300-500mb.

from what i've googled for a friend (still trying to figure out his issues myself) its recommended you update your graphics driver first (try this when you have problems with games first)

^by this i mean, uninstall your current driver, and then install the new one you download

another fix recommended is to go into the l4d settings and turn of the multi-core rendering and/or set shaders to medium (and possibly the rest of the video quality)

ill keep you posted as i attempt to figure it out for my friend

• Content Count:  3736

You do have a grafics card dont you..cause if your using the graphic media accelerator from your MB it might screw things up and using more ressouces..

Cause obez is just buying his first GC so Im just wondering..

Reply to Thread