? servers

? players online

GeForce 8600 GTS heat problem

• Content Count:  1000

When I first got my 8600 GTS, it used to idle at 50C. Now it idles at 64C. Nothing in my computer changed except I have a new case, which is supposed to have better airflow than my old one. Only yesterday, I took a vacuum and sucked/blew out all the dust from my computer.

• Content Count:  166

did you check to see if the gpu heat sink was damaged, or knocked loose? some video cards use plastic clips to hold the heat sink assembly. If it has been knocked loose, you may be able to "pop" the clips back in place.

• Like 1

Checked and double checked. My graphics card uses screws to hold down the card's heatsink. EVGA makes really high quality stuff.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have the Coolermaster Storm Sniper with 1x 200mm fan in the front, 1x 200mm on top, 2x 120mm on the side, 1x 120mm in back and 1x 120mm on the bottom.

Back when my graphics card idles at 50 degrees Celsius, i had a crappy case with worst airflow than this case. This case's airflow is equivalent to, if not, better than the Antec 900/1200.

• Content Count:  1839

thats all well and good, but you didn't answer all of his question.

We need to know what direction all of the fans are pointing.

Preferably, you'd do this:

Front: intake (blowing inwards)

Top: exhaust (outwards)

Back: exhaust

Bottom: intake

Side: The one most directly over the cpu should be exhaust, the other should be intake.

thats all well and good, but you didn't answer all of his question.

We need to know what direction all of the fans are pointing.

Preferably, you'd do this:

Front: intake (blowing inwards)

Top: exhaust (outwards)

Back: exhaust

Bottom: intake

Side: The one most directly over the cpu should be exhaust, the other should be intake.

My airflow is exactly what you said. The side blows on my graphics card and processor. But since it is 2x 120mm, the graphics card is unfortunately located directly parallel to where the 2 fans meet.

Here is a pic.

Untitled11.png

• Content Count:  1839

eh, in that case i wouldnt worry about it. unless it goes to ~80C under load you're under no worry whatsoever. I bet the cpu and everything else gets better temps for a tradeoff.

Yea, everything stayed the same temp as they were before, except the graphics card. I'm not worried about the temps. My card goes to 85 Celsius playing CS:S. I just wanted to know why this is happening and will the idle temps continue to rise.

Thanks for all your help!

Reply to Thread