? servers

? players online

Looking to upgrade my computer

• Content Count:  316

What is the current specs of your computer. Some of these parts might not even work in your current computer. If you are going to get a GTX 200 series card, you will need a big computer case and a bigger PSU. DDR2 RAM is not backwards compatible with DDR3 RAM, your motherboard only supports one type. Then the motherboard you get only supports 1 processor socket. AMD processors wull not work in a motherboard designed for Intel and vice versa.

I won't be able to post my specs for maybe 1-3 days, my gaming computer is at another place. What I DO know is that I have a Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT, and a processor around 2.4 GHz (came with the computer).

• Content Count:  2959

most asus mobos use nvida's chipsets lol (but i agree about the quality of asus)

and meh@ crts. honestly, there is nothing that a crt can do better than an lcd now, you want refresh rates? they make them in 120 now.

LCD refresh rates are completely different from CRT refresh rates. a CRT recieves data as fast as your videocard can send it out and displays it as fast as it's refresh rate, in most cases 85 or more times per second. Because this is done by a beam of electrons (the cathode RAY tube) and it directly excites phosphors to emit visible light there's virtually no lag except what light and electrons take to travel.

an LCD has two "refresh" rates. How fast it recieves data and how fast it's actually capable of refreshing it's image. A CRT needs to constantly redraw it's image no matter what, an LCD is composed of bajillions of mechanical physical switches that open and close to color the light from the backlight as it passes through them.

Your 120hz refresh rate is actually still limited by LCD panel's shitty response times and furthermore is nothing more than digitally interpolating multiple frames of whatever's being displayed to give the illusion of smoother motion. This in and of itself makes things worse in dynamic scenarios like games.

And all of this is done with fixed pixels, a resolution which is on average ~200 lines less than a CRT, backlight bleed, limited viewing angles, far lower refresh rates, lag times, and a lower color gamut.

ONTOPIC: Asus mobos that use Intel chipsets are better than the nvidia chipsets obv. Esp since those tend to be the better ones with ~8phase power (more isn't going to hurt but its kinda excessive beyond 8).

• Content Count:  142

I have an Intel Q9550 (2.83 Ghz) that I OCed to a stable 3.825 Ghz with 4GB of nice Ram. I also use two 8800GT in SLI, but that is on it's way out. I recommend eVGA parts for almost everything and OCZ Ram.

• Content Count:  119

A monster machine and overkill:

Take a top of the line i7 or similar Phenom...

Get 3 way sli ability on your motherboard...

Sli 3 295 Geforces,

get 16 gb of RAM,

Liquid nitrogen Cooling.

Overclock to 6 GHZ on the AMD or equivlent on the intel,

boast.

I have a GTX 260, Phenon II 940 overclocked to 3.51Ghz (the North Bridge is also overclocked), 4 gbs or DDR2800 RAM (Slightly underclocked for stability), and a 750 GB hard drive.

Its awesome, and an oven for my computer.

• Content Count:  464

I'm with andre except for three things:

1. GTX 275 is better bang for your buck graphics card wise, you'll be able to afford to upgrade again every other year or so (if you've got a steady job, not hard for money etc).

2. Asus mobos are the best imho, followed by gigabyte. SLI is a gimmick and nvidia's chipsets are terrible.

3. I'm a CRT fanatic, I'd buy a 60lb 21" trinitron and run 1600x1200@85hz before any flatpanel.

Other than that Andre's on the money. Good ram brands when you add in g.skill, corsair's still honestly one of the best power supplies you can buy although the hx1000 is way overkill and you'll never need more than a 700watter if you don't go SLI, and whatever any fanboys say the AMD processors just cannot hold a candle to even the less expensive intel processors.

You can easily trim Andre's suggestions down to about $1100-1200.

Can you buy CRTs online still?

Yep, not new though sadly afaik but professionally reconditioned so basically all the electronics have been replaced for newer ones. I'm hoping to get a 22"er that will do ~2000x1500 @85hz.

• Content Count:  522

Gonna say the same thing I told Finzz:

CD/DVD RW ftw. Totally worth it.

Also, if you're looking at getting a flat-screen, go for a wide-screen one. You're probably going to be paying a decent amount anyways if you want to buy a decent sized one, and most of the flat-screens around that are big are LCD wide-screens anyways. It shouldn't hard to a good one either. I was looking at some around a year ago, and reviews are relatively abundant. Check out Best Buy, that's where I almost bought mine, they have a good selection.

• Content Count:  1000

I have found that Newegg.com usually has the cheapest prices, and for the most part, ships fast. They have 2 gigantic warehouses on either side of US, and will acually put things on planes...

It's not them that puts things on planes, it's the person paying for the shipping and the shipping company.

The point is newegg's got dirt cheap 3 day shipping that actually does tend to show up in 3 days most of the time, most other places are more expensive for GROUND shipping.

Reply to Thread