? servers

? players online

Desktop resolution changing for no reason on restart.

• Content Count:  142

Every time my computer starts the desktop resolution is at the maximum 1600 x 1200 when I normally keep it at 1280 x 960. This sends my icons all over the place when I set it back, very annoying. I used to set it back using Windows' Display Settings, but then I realized if I just open the NVIDIA Control Panel it automatically switches the resolution back without me messing with any settings. What is going on here? Also, when I open the NVIDIA Control Panel I hear the Windows Vista beep noise that a device was just connected...

Here is my idea: Windows isn't seeing both graphics cards, thus SLI isn't working. Hence, when I open the NVIDIA Control Panel it automatically pushes SLI through, changing my resolution back to what I want instead of the default.

What do you think I should do? It is the ONLY problem I am having with my rig nowadays, slight, but annoying.

PC specs:

Windows Vista HP x64

Q9550 @ 3.4 Ghz OC

4GB RAM 5-5-5-12 Mhz 1:1

eVGA 750i FTW mobo

XFX 8800 GT @ 670/1675

PNY 8800 GT @ 670/1675

Corsair 750w TX PSU

Zalman 9700 fan

3 SATA II drives

• Content Count:  1590

I think its reading the default from somewhere else and setting it to that on its own, mine does the same thing except not with resolution, instead it moves the screen to the side some.

• Content Count:  2959

I'm pretty sure you need to have an exact pair of the same graphics card of the same revision to do SLI. I.e buy them together.

Same hardware, company doesn't matter. If one has more ram or a higher clock speed than the other they'll both just run at the slower one's limits.

The real question here is why would you NOT run at your maximum resolution? 1600x1200 is a 4:3 resolution which means you're either using a VERY old LCD or a CRT, if it's a CRT then it's probably designed to run at 1600x1200 @85hz.

• Content Count:  142

Same hardware, company doesn't matter. If one has more ram or a higher clock speed than the other they'll both just run at the slower one's limits.

The real question here is why would you NOT run at your maximum resolution? 1600x1200 is a 4:3 resolution which means you're either using a VERY old LCD or a CRT, if it's a CRT then it's probably designed to run at 1600x1200 @85hz.

Yes, I am on a CRT, better for color. Also, don't like how small everything is at 1600x1200, and aside from that I can get more FPS at my lower res. Anyway, I have the latest drivers and I think that is the problem.

I will check connections and maybe wipe all of my drivers away and do a fresh install.

• Content Count:  2959

If you're on a 21" or better just up the DPI and go to desktop properties to raise the size of a few other things everything will stay the same size but you'll just have more space.

Reply to Thread