? servers

? players online

What do my SG brothers think of this PC?

• Content Count:  3736

the cpu bit is no surprise because until we get 800GHz processors the cpu will ALWAYS be the biggest bottleneck.

you didnt answer the question...can you please post a cheaper PC, Im serious Id really like to see.....

• Content Count:  230

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'm going to pull the pin and get this, then perhaps upgrade the graphics card. Pretty much anything is better than the ancient rig I have now.

• Content Count:  1839

i finally was able to build my own this last semester (which is funny with how much i work on them at my job) and i definitely prefer it, but its not bc my prebuilds failed.

its because prebuilds are so fucking expensive especially for the trash products they put in them.

• Content Count:  464

Actually Slash is technically right. Though he's wrong on the CPU dependency load. The CPU in the Source engine usually takes as much as a load as the GPU. Even upgrading your Sound Card could get you a 8-10 FPS boost because unlike games like Crysis which is poorly optimized having all the dependency on the GPU and CPU the Source Engine utilizes the power of as much hardware as possible. Running benchmarks I noticed that upgrading from card to card would give you high FPS boosts of course ranging to 10 to 20 to even 60 fps. But when I've changed my CPU it's given me a flavorable FPS boost too.

It's the same way in the HL Engine too, I'm pretty sure Unreal engine does the same thing. CryEngine2 is doubtable of course. It explains the sudden FPS difference between PC builds. I've had a 8600 GT overclocked and got barely average 100 fps with all my settings on high with 1024x768 res. I look at another PC with the same card but different CPU and it gets an average of 200 FPS with 1280x1024 res.

Back to Topic: That computer is good for its price. The graphics card could be better and seems like another Geforce 6150 se.

I realize you said you overclocked ur 8600, but I just got a HD 4670 and it only gets 71 fps on the video stress test, how are you getting 100 fps! Isn't it a better card? Were you like standing still looking at a wall?

• Content Count:  1000

I realize you said you overclocked ur 8600, but I just got a HD 4670 and it only gets 71 fps on the video stress test, how are you getting 100 fps! Isn't it a better card? Were you like standing still looking at a wall?

Maybe it's your processor. I have a 8600 GTS with a E8400 and I get more than 300fps in the video stress test of CS:S.

Reply to Thread