? servers

? players online

What do my SG brothers think of this PC?

• Content Count:  1000

I still have an 8600GTS and Im still enjoying my computer for all of you computer geeks that cant live without having the latest card I see your point..for a normal guy that enjoys everyday gaming maybe even competitive gaming(CAL and so on) that GT220 would do just fine imo..( I play CSS, l4d, fallout 3, flightsim X and a few other games that arent completly graphicless)

Now here is a link to basic hardware comparable to what is offered in this add

http://secure.newegg.com/Shopping/ShoppingCart.aspx?Submit=view

totals up to $538 plus monitor and offered keyboard around $710 bucks

now this rig I made still needs wireless card, OS, some sound drive, a PSU, Mobo, (to be comparable to the said rig) the time to put it together and Im already less than 150 bucks away from the deal. So you show me with you geek computer skillz, that Im assuming will destroy my math skills, how this computer is expensive...cause I really dont see it???

Can't see your wishlist.

And I also have a 8600 GTS. The EVGA 8600 GTS clocked at 720 MHz. I'm getting decent FPS in CS:S, but not in the newer source mods.

• Content Count:  184

Keep in mind guys when talking about the source engine fps is almost completely determined by CPU. Rarely will upgrading your graphics card alter your fps unless you are going from an integrated.

Keep in mind guys when talking about the source engine fps is almost completely determined by CPU. Rarely will upgrading your graphics card alter your fps unless you are going from an integrated.

This is complete bullshit. I went from a 8600 GT to a 8600 GTS and gained on average 50 FPS. The stress test went from ~240 to over 300, since i cap my fps on source games at 300. My processor is the same; same clock, same model, same make, same thermal paste, same heatsink (don't know how the last 2 would effect the performance).

• Content Count:  4960

Actually Slash is technically right. Though he's wrong on the CPU dependency load. The CPU in the Source engine usually takes as much as a load as the GPU. Even upgrading your Sound Card could get you a 8-10 FPS boost because unlike games like Crysis which is poorly optimized having all the dependency on the GPU and CPU the Source Engine utilizes the power of as much hardware as possible. Running benchmarks I noticed that upgrading from card to card would give you high FPS boosts of course ranging to 10 to 20 to even 60 fps. But when I've changed my CPU it's given me a flavorable FPS boost too.

It's the same way in the HL Engine too, I'm pretty sure Unreal engine does the same thing. CryEngine2 is doubtable of course. It explains the sudden FPS difference between PC builds. I've had a 8600 GT overclocked and got barely average 100 fps with all my settings on high with 1024x768 res. I look at another PC with the same card but different CPU and it gets an average of 200 FPS with 1280x1024 res.

Back to Topic: That computer is good for its price. The graphics card could be better and seems like another Geforce 6150 se.

Edited by Coffee Crisp

Actually Slash is technically right. Though he's wrong on the CPU dependency load. The CPU in the Source engine usually takes as much as a load as the GPU. Even upgrading your Sound Card could get you a 8-10 FPS boost because unlike games like Crysis which is poorly optimized having all the dependency on the GPU and CPU the Source Engine utilizes the power of as much hardware as possible. Running benchmarks I noticed that upgrading from card to card would give you high FPS boosts of course ranging to 10 to 20 to even 60 fps. But when I've changed my CPU it's given me a flavorable FPS boost too.

It's the same way in the HL Engine too, I'm pretty sure Unreal engine does the same thing. CryEngine2 is doubtable of course. It explains the sudden FPS difference between PC builds. I've had a 8600 GT overclocked and got barely average 100 fps with all my settings on high with 1024x768 res. I look at another PC with the same card but different CPU and it gets an average of 200 FPS with 1280x1024 res.

Back to Topic: That computer is good for its price. The graphics card could be better and seems like another Geforce 6150 se.

You are correct, the source engine uses every component to it's maximum potential. Slash made it seem like the source engine ONLY runs on the CPU.

• Content Count:  1839

the cpu bit is no surprise because until we get 800GHz processors the cpu will ALWAYS be the biggest bottleneck.

Reply to Thread