What is a catch?

• Content Count:  2589

Can anyone here explain how the hell this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ5jbJn08eA

was a catch, while plays such as these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt5d9FoSXIA

dOX0KsS.gif

are not catches?

My god. I understand by the stupid rule, that both the Calvin and Dez plays are not catches, as they "did not maintain possession all the way to the ground" or "did not establish themselves as a runner" but my god. How the hell are you going to watch those two plays, and tell me they did not catch that ball?

The NFL has got to step in and do something. These rulings and horribly worded rules are getting out of hand. While I do not honestly know of a very clear cut way of defining it, they at least need to be consistent.

Here's the NFL VP of Officiating explaining this call:

He's so full of shit. At what time did Tate ever have possesion of the ball, and when/how did he have time to become a runner?

I understand that these calls are not easy to make, but oh my god. These refs are supposed to be able to take a play, and make consistent calls regardless of who the ref is. The NFL really needs to find some way to make this shit consistent. Maybe just change it where the ref makes a judgement call on if it was a catch or not....

Like seriously, how the hell is the Tate play, and the third play I posted any different???

This dish has been over salted.

I don't care for the Bears or Lions. There is no salt here, as I literally don't care who won that game. But the NFL really is full of shit with their catch rules at this point. There's no consistency here with what is and isn't a catch in the NFL.

• Content Count:  1513

I come to video game forums to start discussions about NFL rules.

Anyway its simple, must maintain possession and need to establish self as a runner. Yeah there's always going to be hard calls to make and bad decisions but we are humans, it's not like we can just get a program to decipher a play.

Anyway its simple, must maintain possession and need to establish self as a runner. Yeah there's always going to be hard calls to make and bad decisions but we are humans, it's not like we can just get a program to decipher a play.

At what point did Tate establish himself as a runner? Second he lands the ball is coming out due to the defender putting his hand in there. Problem I vented about was the inconsistency with the NFL. The VP basically made shit up as he explained the call and no one seems to understand what exactly a catch is anymore.

Also

I come to video game forums to start discussions about NFL rules.

This is a community, and I posted this in the sports section...

Honestly I'm not as irritated at the call as I was when I posted this, but still wish the NFL would do something about the horrible wording of the rule that leads to so many bad calls and confusion.

Reply to Thread