? servers

? players online

New build

• Content Count:  1406

I have been wondering this as well. With my taxs I am thinking of building my first real gaming rig, but im limited on cash. I want to use win7, but here is my issue: I have 2 drives in my current potato, but one of them gives me the HELP IM DIEING message and im not sure what drive my 7 is on. With the new build im gonna get a 1tb drive, so I might switch to 10. Would it really be worth it? Is there a safe way to move my op system from the maybe dieing drive to the new drive? Should I just switch to 10 and install that on the new drive?

Edited by CollieFlower
my phone is gay. it needs a beating

• Content Count:  1385

if there is anyone who currently uses Windows 10, I would like to know about your experiences with it so far.
I have been using Windows 10 from just slightly after it was released. When I installed it and booted it up, it took a few restarts to get all of the drivers to work. They work fine now though.

I lose internet some times. When I run the troubleshooter it generally fixes it ("Defaut gateway was unavailable" - not sure if this is a Windows 10 problem, though I didn't used to get that in Windows 7) Sometimes there's some other errors, but I think it's because of my old modem/something to do with the internet provider/the fact that I have 7 devices on Wi-Fi and my modem is like 8-10 years old.

Other than those two it's been fine.

I'm hoping that the general layout won't be hugely different compared to currently using 7.

Forgot to mention that I currently use Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, which would result in me being able to redeem Windows 10 Home.

Unless something changed (or the "get windows 10 free for 1 year" ended) you can get the Windows 10 Pro edition (or w/e it's called). That is at least what most people got.

By the way, you can actually very easily get any kind of version you want. (check on reddit, don't have the link to it)

And what do you mean by layout? Because in a way it is quite different. You don't have the annoying startscreen anymore (maybe you can turn it on though, not sure) and it looks quite similar to Windows 7 (you can always check screenshots online really).

Though there is no more control panel (just settings) and some other differences.

10 is fine but i rather use windows 7
Why?

I have been wondering this as well. With my taxs I am thinking of building my first real gaming rig, but im limited on cash. I want to use win7, but here is my issue: I have 2 drives in my current potato, but one of them gives me the HELP IM DIEING message and im not sure what drive my 7 is on. With the new build im gonna get a 1tb drive, so I might switch to 10. Would it really be worth it? Is there a safe way to move my op system from the maybe dieing drive to the new drive? Should I just switch to 10 and install that on the new drive?
Can't you just do a backup and boot from that? (plenty of guides on the internet for it)

Also, really not sure why people would want to stay on Windows 7, except that maybe they have some really old applications that would stop working. (though in my case, none did)

1: It's not a finished product

Microsoft is changing the way it builds Windows, with the release of Windows 10, the company will no longer release major upgrades. Instead, Microsoft is now offering "Windows as a Service." Technically, Windows will never be considered complete, which means that the operating system will continue to be a work in progress. As a result, we are likely to see more bugs and other issues in the regular basis. Additionally, because we're in the early days, you will see some missing features and inconsistency.

In my personal experience, I've seen some issues including bugs in the Start menu where parts of the menu will just randomly disappear. Some Live Tiles also won't change accent color automatically, and the Start menu will suddenly lose its color scheme.

Asides from what you mentioned (start menu bugs), there hasn't been any for me. I am also pretty sure you're not going to get BETA versions unless you agree to be a tester, so there shouldn't be much worry of not getting a finished product. I mean, they were updating Windows 7 pretty much constantly.

2: The automatic update dilemma
You can turn that off and it doesn't turn back on. Won't really comment further as it's pretty self explainable.

os

3: Privacy concerns
Nothing that they did not know before. Not to mention that to them - you are a number, nothing more. I would be more concerned about my internet provider/Google than I would be about Windows.

10 is good, but for some reason the search function on it isn't as good as 8. I (probably) might not have set it up right but it doesn't automatically scan everywhere like it did for 8. Runs way faster than 8 though. It still has tiles and that's kind of annoying + everything that they have been adding (such as the new lock screen) is also dumb.
What kind of problems have you been having with the search function? For me personally it works way, way better than on Windows 8. Not to mention you're not forced into that horrible startscreen.

You can unpin all of the tiles. What you get left with is the Most used/Suggestions and Power/Settings etc.

Isn't the lock screen similar to having a password for your user? (no idea, cos I only have a single one) By the way, you can remove the lock screen if you want.

Edited by Vy

• Content Count:  1747

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/jcQ9f7

That is what I have shortlisted, potentially may add a few extra case fans.

Besides the powersupply, in which I would go for corsair cus fanboy, seems like a pretty good build.

PSU is really big for your power needs. Unless you plan on adding another card and water cooling you'll never need 860 watts.

While it doesnt really justify (I made a quick calculation and the system will probably pull around 500 watts max), a powerful power supply, especially with platinum rating gives you good protection to your components, normally uses less power and maintains potential for expansion since a power supply of that caliber is likely to survive a good amount of years, as long as it doesnt get hit by a spike (and even if it does, it still will absorb most of them), but if you want to be sure that it won't, buy like a 1000 VA UPS from someone like Phasak and you should be golden.

• Like 1
Edited by Pan32

Reply to Thread