? servers

? players online

My new desktop

• Content Count:  2668

Not a bad looking build. I have the same type of RAM but mine is the 2x4 setup. The Hyper 212 cooler is a nice cooler, although it's pretty big, it does it's job well.

The only possible issues I see are in your PSU and graphics card. CX is the lowest tier that Corsair makes. It's cheap for a reason. I would recommend at least the RMx series which is a step up. I don't know much about AMD cards but with a quick look, I feel you could have gotten something a bit stronger for the same, if not $20 more, price out of the Nvidia lineup. This is assuming retail prices, sales make ultimate decisions.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  562

im wondering why your i7-4790 is clocked at 3.8GHz or if thats a typo. i had it in my old rig, and it was clocked at 4GHz, with a 4,2GHz turbo.

I also had a CX750 PSU in my old rig, and i had no issues with it.

Other than that it seems like a great build wich will give you hours upon hours of great times

• Like 1

• Content Count:  36

Not a bad looking build. I have the same type of RAM but mine is the 2x4 setup. The Hyper 212 cooler is a nice cooler, although it's pretty big, it does it's job well.

The only possible issues I see are in your PSU and graphics card. CX is the lowest tier that Corsair makes. It's cheap for a reason. I would recommend at least the RMx series which is a step up. I don't know much about AMD cards but with a quick look, I feel you could have gotten something a bit stronger for the same, if not $20 more, price out of the Nvidia lineup. This is assuming retail prices, sales make ultimate decisions.

I had someone build it for me. I didn't pick anything out but I will eventually upgrade the graphics card thanks for letting me know.

• Content Count:  36

im wondering why your i7-4790 is clocked at 3.8GHz or if thats a typo. i had it in my old rig, and it was clocked at 4GHz, with a 4,2GHz turbo.

I also had a CX750 PSU in my old rig, and i had no issues with it.

Other than that it seems like a great build wich will give you hours upon hours of great times

Strongest machine I've ever owned. Happy with it so far c:

• Content Count:  1193

So upgrading my PSU in my near future would be a good idea?

Meh. Only if you plan on upgrading a lot more than you already have. That's a pretty beefy build you have there but I don't really see a point in you needing a higher wattage PSU unless you plan and running dual GPUs.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  2668

So upgrading my PSU in my near future would be a good idea?

Eh, I wouldn't go out of my way for it. If you see it on sale for a price you can afford, I would.

Meh. Only if you plan on upgrading a lot more than you already have. That's a pretty beefy build you have there but I don't really see a point in you needing a higher wattage PSU unless you plan and running dual GPUs.

The issue isn't the wattage. The CX series is made cheap with cheap materials, which means it has a higher chance of short circuit, failure, etc. It is advertised with gaming, but isn't really good for the stress level that gaming offers.

• Content Count:  1193

Eh, I wouldn't go out of my way for it. If you see it on sale for a price you can afford, I would.

The issue isn't the wattage. The CX series is made cheap with cheap materials, which means it has a higher chance of short circuit, failure, etc. It is advertised with gaming, but isn't really good for the stress level that gaming offers.

Ah. Well I've had mine for about 2 years now and haven't ever had a problem with it.

• Content Count:  1740

PSU is alright. Great for a starting PC, tho, he'll probably won't be doing crazy OC'ing, not even possible with that CPU and the GPU doesn't need OC'ing.

If he wants to change to a better one, he could, but again not necessary. If he wants to upgrade to a cheap but great PSU he could get the newer Corsair CX750M PSU. The newer version one with the grey and black sticker, those are great.

That GPU is a really great choice, tbh. Can run everything on 1080p maxed out at 80+ fps without any issues. I had one and it devoured everything I threw at it and then some.

The only nvidia card that performs a bit better is the GTX1060, but is quite expensive and has less VRAM. Which isn't worth it as he has a great card for future games.

@TS: great first PC build with solid components, you won't be disappointed. Although you would need some good airflow in that case as the R9 390 is a hothead.

Reply to Thread