? servers

? players online

Anyone have a special training to lose fat ?

• Content Count:  11501

“Some believe that the key to body-fat loss is doing fat-burning exercises, or low-intensity exercise that uses more than carbohydrate for fuel. Wrong. The key to body-fat loss is to consume fewer calories than you burn”- Sports Nutrition Guidebook 5th Ed. by Nancy Clark. Pg. 272

While I do agree you should cut out some (not all) “junk food” from your diet, it doesn’t matter what you’re eating as long as you intake less calories than you are expending. For example, if you really wanted to you could eat chips and soda every day for the rest of your life and even though this would be horribly unhealthy for your body, as long as you’re eating less calories than you expend you’ll lose body fat. Granted, if you live a lifestyle like that you’ll also lose muscle mass, but that’s not to say that you won’t also lose fat through doing that. I do agree that you should evaluate your current diet and incorporate healthier options, as long as you're eating less than you use you'll lose fat.

Intermittent fasting? If you want to lose weight and keep it off fasting is not the way to go. Fasting will cause cravings, which will in turn cause weight gain. A healthy eating schedule is going to be the most effective. The best thing to do is eat three regular meals a day and have small snacks between. To lose weight in a healthy way you want to ask yourself these four questions:

1.How much do you eat? Do not over portion

2.When do you eat? Eat more in the morning vs. night

3.Why are you eating? Are you eating because you’re bored or because your body needs fuel?

4.How much sleep are you getting? Lack of sleep can make you believe you need to eat/drink something for energy when really you just aren’t getting enough sleep.

Also with a good eating schedule you want to frontload your calories. This means eating a larger breakfast rather than a large dinner. You don’t want to eat the majority of your calories at night, because your body will burn the most calories throughout the day.

DO NOT fast and mix in weight training. This will cause atrophy with your muscles due to a lack of nutrients. A healthy, balanced diet with cardio or weight training mixed in, is what will help you the most.

I agree with Gator 100%. If you don't move hardly at all right now, look for ways to get up and around. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, park further away when you go somewhere, or walk up and down the block a few times. As long as you get your heart rate up you will begin to see results. Build up to a good work out that gets your heart pumping.

Give me 30 minutes for me to get back home and I'll post articles that also disagree with the calorie myth.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  4441

“Some believe that the key to body-fat loss is doing fat-burning exercises, or low-intensity exercise that uses more than carbohydrate for fuel. Wrong. The key to body-fat loss is to consume fewer calories than you burn”- Sports Nutrition Guidebook 5th Ed. by Nancy Clark. Pg. 272

While I do agree you should cut out some (not all) “junk food” from your diet, it doesn’t matter what you’re eating as long as you intake less calories than you are expending. For example, if you really wanted to you could eat chips and soda every day for the rest of your life and even though this would be horribly unhealthy for your body, as long as you’re eating less calories than you expend you’ll lose body fat. Granted, if you live a lifestyle like that you’ll also lose muscle mass, but that’s not to say that you won’t also lose fat through doing that. I do agree that you should evaluate your current diet and incorporate healthier options, as long as you're eating less than you use you'll lose fat.

Intermittent fasting? If you want to lose weight and keep it off fasting is not the way to go. Fasting will cause cravings, which will in turn cause weight gain. A healthy eating schedule is going to be the most effective. The best thing to do is eat three regular meals a day and have small snacks between. To lose weight in a healthy way you want to ask yourself these four questions:

3.Why are you eating? Are you eating because you’re bored or because your body needs fuel?

4.How much sleep are you getting? Lack of sleep can make you believe you need to eat/drink something for energy when really you just aren’t getting enough sleep.

Also with a good eating schedule you want to frontload your calories. This means eating a larger breakfast rather than a large dinner. You don’t want to eat the majority of your calories at night, because your body will burn the most calories throughout the day.

DO NOT fast and mix in weight training. This will cause atrophy with your muscles due to a lack of nutrients. A healthy, balanced diet with cardio or weight training mixed in, is what will help you the most.

I agree with Gator 100%. If you don't move hardly at all right now, look for ways to get up and around. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, park further away when you go somewhere, or walk up and down the block a few times. As long as you get your heart rate up you will begin to see results. Build up to a good work out that gets your heart pumping.

I would say people could just start a diet before doing intermittent fasting, or even start one after. People are gonna need some level of discipline to diet no matter how they do it. I get your point though, I was just saying for a good short run intermittent fasting is a good start- it's not something you should be doing forever.

@Caution get your woman in check she's disagreeing and using logic along with it, I don't like it.

EDIT: Intermittent fasting + workout is possible if you manage your time windows correctly though I will agree you're gonna lose muscle no matter what you do during a fast.

Edited by All Ts

So let me first say that my opinions are not arbitrary - I have certifications in the culinary field (was my back up option in life) that included a plethora of health classes. Also in the process of becoming a certified personal trainer. While I'm not trying to like brag or anything of that sort, I'm just pointing out that there is a reason behind what I think. I will also say that there are certain topics that people will just flat out disagree on because the science is not all there (brown rice vs. white rice) - which plays into intermittent fasting a tad.

First of all, the notion that a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight is insane. Our bodies are extremely complex and vary from person to person - if you were to always lose weight in a caloric deficit, you could simply be able to starve yourself entirely and lose weight. Obviously, our bodies do not work this way, and not all calories are created equally.

https://rebootedbody.com/calories/

While CICO does state a fact, it leaves out all that’s important from the discussion.

Eating excess calories makes you fat, but why are you eating excess calories? Eating less calories will help you lose weight (not necessarily fat, though), but why can’t you eat less food for a long period of time?

What about the people who seem to eat a surplus of calories based on the math with no resulting weight gain? What about the people who eat a deficit of calories according to the math and who don’t lose weight?

It’s like a doctor telling a pregnant mother that her baby is human when she asked if it’s a boy or a girl. The doctor isn’t lying, but he’s also not telling her anything she doesn’t already know and certainly isn’t answering the important question.

The false premise of CICO #fails to account for…

• How Calories Are Calculated
  • Your Body’s Hormone Response
  • The Quality of The Calories
  • Your Body Fat Setpoint
  • Addiction and Dependency
  • The Macronutrient Breakdown

Aside from that, the math based on the calories in, calories out model is clearly out of whack.

3500 calories equals one pound of body fat. If you cut 100 calories from someone’s diet – a few bites of dinner – they’d reduce their caloric intake by 182,500 calories over a five year period.

If we put a male at 5’8? who weighed 165 pounds on that diet, they’d lose 52 pounds over 5 years. If they overate by the same amount — a few bites of food – they’d be obese? It’s laughable.

To sum everything up thus far: the people who are peddling the calorie myth are stating facts, they’re just not stating relevant ones.

Which is more or less exactly what I am getting at when I say this...but mind you, I'm also more or less talking about fat, not weight in general.

Now dont confuse what im saying - a deficit CAN help you, absolutely, but you have to analyze what you're eating

In the game of body composition, metabolism, and health in general, we can rarely speak in absolute definitives, just due to people's bodies being so different. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not saying you're entirely right.

If 3,500 calories = one pound, and OP has a deficit of 500 calories a day, he should theoretically (in a lab setting, anyways) be losing 1 pound a week. If OP's diet consisted of nothing but cookies and candy, I would be hard pressed to believe that he is going to lose 1 pound of fat. If he is severely obese, then yes, I completely agree that he could do nothing but a caloric defecit...but the point I'm getting at is that you do not simply need a lack of calories to gain a healthy, low fat body. That just flat out is not how most bodies metabolize sugar, trans fats, etc etc.

What I'm saying, in reference to calories, is not that you're wrong, per se, in saying that a deficit can equal weight loss. That is not wrong. What I'm saying is that there are plenty of other ways to go about doing it, and sometimes much healthier alternatives.

-----------------------

As far as intermittent fasting goes, I entirely disagree with you. I have personally done intermittent fasting and can attest that it worked great for me. Now, mind you, I was specifically trying to cut fat and was not in a bulking cycle (trying to gain muscle on intermittent fasting isn't a good idea generally imo, unless it's light). I'm confused by this part of your post

Fasting will cause cravings, which will in turn cause weight gain.

The best thing to do is eat three regular meals a day and have small snacks between.

Do you know what intermittent fasting is lol? Because you can eat a dozen meals during your window of intermittent fasting, if you wanted..or three, or four, or seven, etc. The underlying goal with intermittent fasting is to cut late night eating and to exercise before you start eating, because your body will attack stored fat vs. the shit sitting in your stomach. There are plenty of people who intermittent fast without even knowing it - they stick to an 8 hour window of eating...so like you'd eat 10am - 6pm. You can eat whatever you want and whenever you want in that window...so I don't know where you'd get cravings from. Some people do go a bit crazy with it and do 4 hour eating windows and that's more or less debatable...but you can do everything that you said in an 8 hour window. I think people hear the word 'fast' and think you're starving yourself lol. Intermittent fasting =/= starving yourself, it's choosing appropriate times to eat food and not eat food.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting#section6

Edited by Caution

• Content Count:  113

So let me first say that my opinions are not arbitrary - I have certifications in the culinary field (was my back up option in life) that included a plethora of health classes. Also in the process of becoming a certified personal trainer. While I'm not trying to like brag or anything of that sort, I'm just pointing out that there is a reason behind what I think. I will also say that there are certain topics that people will just flat out disagree on because the science is not all there (brown rice vs. white rice) - which plays into intermittent fasting a tad.

First of all, the notion that a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight is insane. Our bodies are extremely complex and vary from person to person - if you were to always lose weight in a caloric deficit, you could simply be able to starve yourself entirely and lose weight. Obviously, our bodies do not work this way, and not all calories are created equally.

While your culinary and personal trainer certifications are impressive, I'd like to point out that I'm currently dedicating 6 years of my life to pursue a Master's Degree in Rehabilitation and Strength and Conditioning. There are many different thoughts on weight loss and what works and does not. I am fully aware of the difference in body types, as that is a core part of my major.

I did not say anywhere that a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight. I know there are many healthy ways to lose weight, but as the original question of this thread is "Anyone have special training to lose fat?" I was not talking about weight loss. You may be right in saying that it doesn't cause weight loss, but fat and weight loss are two different things.

Do you know what intermittent fasting is lol? Because you can eat a dozen meals during your window of intermittent fasting, if you wanted..or three, or four, or seven, etc. The underlying goal with intermittent fasting is to cut late night eating and to exercise before you start eating, because your body will attack stored fat vs. the shit sitting in your stomach. There are plenty of people who intermittent fast without even knowing it - they stick to an 8 hour window of eating...so like you'd eat 10am - 6pm. You can eat whatever you want and whenever you want in that window...so I don't know where you'd get cravings from. Some people do go a bit crazy with it and do 4 hour eating windows and that's more or less debatable...but you can do everything that you said in an 8 hour window. I think people hear the word 'fast' and think you're starving yourself lol. Intermittent fasting =/= starving yourself, it's choosing appropriate times to eat food and not eat food.

This honestly sounds like a normal day of eating then going to bed? So, if someone has an 8 hour window (normal day) to eat whatever they want how would this work for someone who is inexperienced and looking for ways to diet? Front-loading calories and eating proper portions of all the food groups through out the day, with protein or carbohydrate filled snacks between, is the best way (but not the only way) to go if someone new to fat loss wanted to do intermittent fasting to lose fat. Front-loading will also help with late night cravings, if you are eating complete shit for 8 hours then suddenly stop eating you're going to crave what you've been eating all day. I'm not saying that intermittent fasting isn't a good option, but I don't see how it would work for someone who is new to the healthy eating world. A good way to start off is to introduce them to a healthy eating schedule, then healthy food alternatives to their life. Then the right kind of intermittent fasting could be a good way to keep fat off. I don't believe it is the right way to start a "diet".

I am fully aware that a healthy, well-balanced diet isn't the only way to help with fat loss but it does contribute. I am all for exercise and have plenty of knowledge about the different types and ways to use that as well. Along with sleep and life patterns that contribute to a healthy lifestyle. Believe what you want, and I will continue doing the same.

• Content Count:  2668

3500 calories equals one pound of body fat. If you cut 100 calories from someone’s diet – a few bites of dinner – they’d reduce their caloric intake by 182,500 calories over a five year period.

If we put a male at 5’8? who weighed 165 pounds on that diet, they’d lose 52 pounds over 5 years. If they overate by the same amount — a few bites of food – they’d be obese? It’s laughable.

I have a hard time believing this to be a legit scientific resource if they believe this. Did no body learn that the body will adapt, therefore after a certain period, the body won't be used to x-100 calories anymore but would be equal to x-100=xy calories.

With this, this is an argument of hypothetical. We are assuming that OP eats an unhealthy lifestyle in food, but what if he eats a healthy one, yet double the amount of calories their body needs. All of the advice in the thread is blanket advice, and means nothing to a specific person.

Anyone who believes that calories in vs calories out is fictional is uneducated in the basics of nutrition.

Weight management is all about balancing the number of calories you take in with the number your body uses or “burns off.”
If your body does not use calories, they are stored as fat
https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/calories/index.html

The same amount of energy IN and energy OUT over time = weight stays the same

More IN than OUT over time = weight gain

More OUT than IN over time = weight loss

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/files/docs/public/heart/AIM_Pocket_Guide_tagged.pdf

I don't understand what is hard to grasp about this concept.

If OP's diet consisted of nothing but cookies and candy, I would be hard pressed to believe that he is going to lose 1 pound of fat.
Hard pressed will you be then. No one said it would be healthy as you'd lack a fuck load of other important vitamins and minerals and other nutrients, but it's possible. So long as they are eating less than they are burning, they will lose weight.

if you were to always lose weight in a caloric deficit, you could simply be able to starve yourself entirely and lose weight. Obviously, our bodies do not work this way, and not all calories are created equally.
Is this not the basis of anorexia?
To prevent weight gain or to continue losing weight, people with anorexia usually severely restrict the amount of food they eat.

What I'm saying, in reference to calories, is not that you're wrong, per se, in saying that a deficit can equal weight loss. That is not wrong. What I'm saying is that there are plenty of other ways to go about doing it, and sometimes much healthier alternatives.
The issue is that these "alternatives" are just different ways of doing the same thing. If OP were exercise with enough intensity to have an elevated heart rate and do this long enough to have their body use available energy (aka calories) then they are creating the deficit but through exercise rather than food. My problem with this is that rather than teaching a proper diet, it gives the impression that a healthy lifestyle can be had by eating whatever you want, so long as you burn it off. Sure, this is no problem in the short term, but in the long term, OP may run into a situation where they cannot exercise to work off the calories, then once again, they would be required to use a diet deficit to get around this. Starting with it to begin with, then using exercise to supplement it will be much easier to begin with.

In my opinion, people typically defeat themselves before they even start trying. If you try to do a massive overhaul of your life - i.e. Dieting and rigorous exercise, the average person does not have the mental fortitude to do all of that overnight and jump right into a total life change and stick with it. Gradual change is good in this situation because you're trying to stick with it. But this is just my opinion and has no scientific evidence to back it up (maybe it does, I don't know).

It's all about prioritizing what you want to do - saying 'I want to have huge arms with a huge chest with a six pack and an amazing butt' isn't a realistic set of goals. Yes, it may be great for a long term and I'm not saying don't strive for it, but setting short term goals will give you plenty of confidence boosts along the way.

This is absolutely correct and is the #1 reason why so many people fair their dietary and fitness goals. It's inappropriate to expect someone to be able to make a complete change to a complete lifestyle change, especially with the amount of temptations offered against them.

While your culinary and personal trainer certifications are impressive, I'd like to point out that I'm currently dedicating 6 years of my life to pursue a Master's Degree in Rehabilitation and Strength and Conditioning. There are many different thoughts on weight loss and what works and does not. I am fully aware of the difference in body types, as that is a core part of my major.

Your expertise doesn't negate mine, nor does mine negate yours. I simply stated my background to reiterate that I'm not arbitrarily saying things, if that makes sense.

I did not say anywhere that a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight.

I didn't say that you specifically did.

I know there are many healthy ways to lose weight, but as the original question of this thread is "Anyone have special training to lose fat?" I was not talking about weight loss. You may be right in saying that it doesn't cause weight loss, but fat and weight loss are two different things.

Yes, fat and weight loss can (not always are) two different things in technicality - but they are not two different things to the layman. When someones says "I want to lose weight", 99.99% of the time they are referencing fat. Unless someones is already gigantic, there are not many people who want to lose muscle lol. There are many, many more things to take into account, other than calories. Even if we are not talking about different body types like endomorphic and ectomorphic, if someone is, for arguments sake, 50 pounds overweight (due to fat) and they eat cookies and candy and soda all day long to achieve 3000 calories every day, with a burn of 1500 - which overall results in a surplus of 1500 calories. While yes, there are about a dozen ways this person can burn fat (aka 'lose weight'), they could do something as simple as stop putting so much sugar into their body to cause a weight loss.

I fluctuate between 215 and 230 with a relatively low body fat (Idk off the top of my head what it is specifically right now). Drinking one soda a day isn't going to do anything for me in the grand scheme of things. You get to a point where you absolutely need a caloric deficit to lose anymore, but if you're looking to lose a vast, vast amount of weight - you could simply cut out sugar if you're a habitual sugar eater.

This honestly sounds like a normal day of eating then going to bed? So, if someone has an 8 hour window (normal day) to eat whatever they want how would this work for someone who is inexperienced and looking for ways to diet? Front-loading calories and eating proper portions of all the food groups through out the day, with protein or carbohydrate filled snacks between, is the best way (but not the only way) to go if someone new to fat loss wanted to do intermittent fasting to lose fat. Front-loading will also help with late night cravings, if you are eating complete shit for 8 hours then suddenly stop eating you're going to crave what you've been eating all day. I'm not saying that intermittent fasting isn't a good option, but I don't see how it would work for someone who is new to the healthy eating world. A good way to start off is to introduce them to a healthy eating schedule, then healthy food alternatives to their life. Then the right kind of intermittent fasting could be a good way to keep fat off. I don't believe it is the right way to start a "diet".

It's not a diet as much as it is controlling when you eat. There are also 10 hour windows of eating, which is completely reasonable for anybody lol.

Anyone who believes that calories in vs calories out is fictional is uneducated in the basics of nutrition.

Which would make me reason that you skipped over entirely what I said lol. It's not 'fiction' in a literal sense. It's vastly overhyped and extremely incorrect in my opinion (which the article I linked explained exactly why) to assume that it's always going to be the answer lol.

• Content Count:  113

First of all, the notion that a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight is insane.

I did not say anywhere that a caloric deficit is the only way to lose weight.

I didn't say that you specifically did.

Hm, looks like you were inferring it??

Hm, looks like you were inferring it??

Ass/u/me

Unless I said 'Nitram, you directly said this, so this is directly talking to you...'

This is a thread that is in general a discussion - some of what I am saying is a counter argument to what you say, and other parts are information in regards to health that has nothing to do with what you say lol. I would just tell you if I was talking to you - inferring is for pussies.

Edited by Caution

Reply to Thread