? servers

? players online

Cheap laptop

• Content Count:  228

Hi, I am currently taking computer classes in college and was looking for a fairly cheap laptop(5-600$) that can easily run programming softwares. I am currently learning how to program using C++ but I know that it won't be the only one we use and I don't want to buy a new computer all over when that time comes. Thank you all for your advices and suggestions.

• Content Count:  3052

I would wait until black friday/cyber Monday to snag a laptop.

I think for a 5-600 laptop you should b3 able to get an i7 8+gb ram, 1080p display (15.6),SSD. Though depending on the deal, it might work out better getting a laptop without the SSD and just getting it separately. A ssd is pretty much necessary for any mid-range PC. I can look more into laptops later

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1385

You really don't need an i7 for programming and absolutely anything can run C++. It's a language that's been out there since the 80's.

Now, it depends on what you prefer. What kind of qualities you like other others. From my experience, you're going to want:

• At the very least 6-9 hours of battery life
  • Lightweight
  • SSD's
  • A decent keyboard and trackpad (don't need mouses to program really)

Dells are generally pretty nice.

• Content Count:  4960

You really don't need an i7 for programming and absolutely anything can run C++. It's a language that's been out there since the 80's.

Now, it depends on what you prefer. What kind of qualities you like other others. From my experience, you're going to want:

• At the very least 6-9 hours of battery life
  • Lightweight
  • SSD's
  • A decent keyboard and trackpad (don't need mouses to program really)

Dells are generally pretty nice.

But he would obviously play some games too, so a decent graphics card should be a priority over battery life :)

It's either playing games or having an enjoyable laptop to carry around. @Zaraki

Plus, playing games on a laptop is quite a shitty experience. Should also decide whether you want to learn programming or play games.

• Content Count:  228

@Vy , @Zaraki, the laptop would only be used to program/do homeworks, no gaming or anything. I don't really know what part of the computer is requiered to run such programs so that's why I asked here. Also, I have intentions of learning other langages (Java, python...) thank you all for your answers.

What kind of IDE are you going to use and what kind of courses and software are you going to be using at university?

A few suggestions of my own for the IDE's:

(anything that Jet Brains makes really https://www.jetbrains.com/)

C++: CLion

Java: InteliJ

C#: Rider / VisualStudio

Php: PhpStorm

Jet Brains stuff is free for students as well. Other than that I'd suggest you get Vim and possibly ditch Windows OS if at all possible.

Reply to Thread