? servers

? players online

Bring back Admin App Requirements

• Content Count:  1920

After seeing what @edensaid in his post about admin app voting changes it give me a bit of inspiration to put my thoughts into words. I've kept quiet since future changes to admin apps and such have been foreshadowed but I feel it also can't hurt to put my thoughts out there and hear the thoughts of others.

You'd need to be blind to see that there is a growing displeasure with the quality of newer admins of late (no disrespect to any current admins, what you guys do it voluntarily and should be appreciated), so it's ever clearer that the recent change to admin app voting is more than likely a step to help improve the quality of admins let into the system. I feel a good addition to a new system of getting admins would be a return of stricter requirements before applying for admin.

Now, setting an arbitrary restriction on who can and can not apply for an admin position can definitely be tricky. I personally feel there should be both a time in the community requirement and a playtime requirement before being able to apply. As forums become a less popular form of communication, I think a required post count is pointless. The classic argument for this is BoTo has been staff for a long ass time and has a whopping total of like 40 public posts. 

Requirements such as 24 hours in-game on the applicant's favorite server and 3 months in the community would prove useful bars to set that aren't ridiculous. Ways to prove 3 months in the community would be things including: A session in server from 3 months + ago, a forum join date, or a discord join date. 

These of course are just limits i'm pulling out of thin air, but I think they would be an interesting starting point. 

(Apologies for any grammatical errors, i typed this on my phone and will fix later)

• Like 20
Edited by Nate.

• Content Count:  576

We discussed this topic in the CA meeting today. Some members of the board have decided that we are going to stray away from applicant requirements for now. We will keep the idea for discussion down the line if necessary, but as of now, it isn't too big of an issue. The point of removing the requirements was to provide a solution for the small number of admins we had. Right now, we have over 70 admins for our CS:GO servers alone and as the number of current admins grows each month, the idea of new requirements becomes more and more relevant.

On 2/2/2021 at 12:12 AM, phoenix_ said:

there is a growing displeasure with the quality of newer admins

Everyone is encouraged to post a staff complaint if they truly believe there is an issue at hand that needs to be dealt with by the Internal Affairs team. The idea of staff reviews making a return is in the melting pot as well, but for now, we are waiting on input from the directors. Stay tuned for any future updates on this. If anyone isn't aware of what I'm talking about, I'll leave the thread from 2017 here. Please note that the form does not work right now.

On 2/2/2021 at 12:12 AM, phoenix_ said:

I personally feel there should be both a time in the community requirement and a playtime requirement before being able to apply.

CAs, as well as other higher-ups, expressed their thoughts on enforcing a requirement for server playtime but we have not decided on a solid number quite yet. We want to ensure that all members have a fair chance at admin without having to rack up days upon days of playtime. If we were to implement a change relating to these requirements we would need a well-written thread discussing how it would be necessary and beneficial for the community as a whole. What we have right now seems to work fairly well, but if the issue continues to grow we can certainly bring it back up for further discussion.

• Like 11
Edited by Nate.

Reply to Thread