? servers

? players online

MGT Crazy Craft/Orespawn

• Content Count:  2681

I don't have strong modded Minecraft experience but I can suggest one thing for future events. Try to choose gamemodes that are possible to run on computers that aren't made by NASA. I know of a couple mods that have dimensions that are literally unplayable without a super computer. Just a thought to keep in mind when choosing gamemodes.

• Like 2
Edited by Creten

• Content Count:  971

As someone who's poured like a thousand hours into 200+ mod modpacks, this sounds like a disaster.

I fucking love modded minecraft but hosting big modded servers without lag issues, limited player counts, claim bypass exploits, duplication exploits, etc. is incredibly hard. I like to play modded on servers like Kinetic Network but they've been hosting big modpacks for half a decade and still have critical flaws in their system and in the end it's too much hassle for not enough pay off.

Putting technical issues aside, this could be a good idea for an event but I hope the staff here acknowledge how big of an undertaking a big modded minecraft modpack server is if you want it at consistently 15-20 TPS with no big glitches/crashes/exploits.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  908

6 hours ago, dafty said:

As someone who's poured like a thousand hours into 200+ mod modpacks, this sounds like a disaster.

I fucking love modded minecraft but hosting big modded servers without lag issues, limited player counts, claim bypass exploits, duplication exploits, etc. is incredibly hard. I like to play modded on servers like Kinetic Network but they've been hosting big modpacks for half a decade and still have critical flaws in their system and in the end it's too much hassle for not enough pay off.

Putting technical issues aside, this could be a good idea for an event but I hope the staff here acknowledge how big of an undertaking a big modded minecraft modpack server is if you want it at consistently 15-20 TPS with no big glitches/crashes/exploits.

We have dedicated machines with more than enough power to run those modpacks; it's not like we'd be buying a server from some shitty hosting service that runs multiple Minecraft servers on the same machine. The server will probably be around ~20-30 players, so it wouldn't be too hard to keep an eye out for duping/griefing, and we could always install a plugin that logs all activity in case we miss something.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  971

8 hours ago, Infinityward said:

We have dedicated machines with more than enough power to run those modpacks; it's not like we'd be buying a server from some shitty hosting service that runs multiple Minecraft servers on the same machine. The server will probably be around ~20-30 players, so it wouldn't be too hard to keep an eye out for duping/griefing, and we could always install a plugin that logs all activity in case we miss something.

I honestly think you're underestimating the sheer volume of issues you're gonna be running into with a sizable modpack bigger than something like Pixelmon. This isn't just about technical power with good servers, I'm talking servers crashing a dozen times per day without experience with this type of thing. I mentioned Kinetic Network and how even with the experience they have, they still routinely get fucked up by random server crashes that yield useless crash logs so they're essentially troubleshooting blind.

If you really wanna go through with this, it might be a good idea to bring in a dev with some serious background knowledge.

Reply to Thread