? servers

? players online

I Hate The Antichrist

• Content Count:  1583

Alright, brief synopsis of the topics coming through. I'll try to run through these as unopinionated as possible in this post, but it may be difficult as stating the existence of many of these topics is opinionated in itself. I will deliver further into how I think and feel about these topics later, but wanted to put some more material out for you guys to think about and discuss. I guess I'll just go from the top here, so please excuse me if it comes out a bit disjointed. I'm only doing a few for now as I just returned from vacay and I'm dead tired and have brain fog. I'll be updating through the week as I have time and energy.

Error and harm of the medicalization of psychiatry

Medicalization of psychiatry refers to the fundamental difference between traditional medicine and psychiatry and the attempt to apply traditional medical structure to the field. In traditional medicine, illness will generally refer to a disease, malfunction, deformity, etc. that can be identified by a pathologist. These illnesses will manifest with physical evidence in tissue such as the presence of a virus, measurable evidence of a deformity, something that exists in a very real sense and hence can be observed objectively and experimented or cured measurably. In psychiatry, an illness will rather be classified in different ways such as a collection of symptoms or by a response to drugs. For all intents and purposes, these illnesses are generally collections of behavior, patterns of thinking, emotions. Any of these illnesses that can be measured pathologically, even if they may manifest symptoms in behavior are not mental illnesses; these are brain diseases, covered by the field of neurology, such as neurosyphilis.

Using this traditional was of classifying or referring to things as mental illnesses may have damaging effects on the way these "illnesses" are considered by professionals, patients, and the public, as well as how treatment is approached.

Crisis of meaning (and death of God)

In modern times, it seems increasingly difficult for people to find meaning in their lives which may be the cause of increasing feelings of anxiety, depression, and nihilism. Much of this can likely be attributed to the structure of our societies; it's difficult for people to have a great deal of agency over their work in corporate and other jobs, in their communities with the top down structure of government, in their families with the pressure of schools, media, society. In Nietzsche's works such as 'God is Dead', he predicts that the Enlightenment and man's increasing focus on rationalism has made and will make a belief in religion increasingly difficult. He considers this a tragedy as it will drain the source of meaning from many and will lead to a reduction in commitment to values. 

:dab:

• Content Count:  2168

1 hour ago, Gentoo said:

have brain fog

I have a pill for that

1 hour ago, Gentoo said:

Any of these illnesses that can be measured pathologically, even if they may manifest symptoms in behavior are not mental illnesses

So if in 5-500 years there are biomarkers that could indicate bpd, depression, anxiety, etc, are you saying these are no longer mental disorders but brain diseases? Have you considered the possibility that our technologies just aren't advanced enough to detect the full scope of what a mental disorder is?

1 minute ago, jazzy said:

I have a pill for that

So if in 5-500 years there are biomarkers that could indicate bpd, depression, anxiety, etc, are you saying these are no longer mental disorders but brain diseases? Have you considered the possibility that our technologies just aren't advanced enough to detect the full scope of what a mental disorder is?

Biomarkers that indicate what? 

2 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

Biomarkers that indicate what? 

4 minutes ago, jazzy said:

biomarkers that could indicate bpd, depression, anxiety, etc,

5 minutes ago, Gentoo said:

These aren't diseases.

15 minutes ago, jazzy said:

So if in 5-500 years there are biomarkers that could indicate bpd, depression, anxiety, etc, are you saying these are no longer mental disorders but brain diseases?

1 hour ago, jazzy said:

Resolved in Discord.

Jazzy's point is that there is a possibility that some of these 'illnesses' may present themselves as symptoms of a yet to be discovered diseases that could be proven pathologically.

My point was that this could be the case but there is no conclusive evidence as of yet; it would be honest to talk about, treat, or consider them in this way.

Reply to Thread