? servers

? players online

Rebranding discussion

• Content Count:  2167

On 10/9/2023 at 4:13 PM, Jake said:

What does rebranding accomplish exactly? Why rebrand? I feel like this is one way to drop the already dead player base even lower as when people look up SG they are going to find it gone. One the things this community has going for it, or did was the long standing history and rebranding defeats that in my eyes. I could be wrong or out of touch but its my two cents. 

We would continue to own the steam-gamers.net domain and can set up a simple redirect to the new domain. Additionally the major issue is steamgamers.com continues to stay up and confuse our playerbase making our community look COMPLETELY dead, in case you haven't noticed, steamgamers.com looks like this:

spacer.png

If a user goes to steamgamers.com instead they would anticipate the community is already dead, especially those from pre 2015. Obviously google metrics play a part but at the end of the day we're literally competing with a dead version of ourselves that can confuse players. Not to mention our current domain steam *hyphen* gamers dot net is a really awkward domain. In fact, by most SEO metrics, adding hyphens is almost never preferred and generally lowers your SEO, not even considering a .net in 2023 is a little jank looking as there is more preferably TLD's out there like .gg, if you can't get a good .com.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  1051

Although with the domain being really confusing, having steamgamers.com vs steam(-)gamers.net; I don't think we should rebrand. I think it'll cause a lot of mass confusion, and how many people truly have messed up the domains? If they were looking for us through any conventional means, i.e our servers, advertising on gaming boards and such, we would probably have this domain linked. Any one who messes up the domain is either 60 and their brain is failing, or 10 and their still learning how the internet works. 

Steam-Gamers (SG) is such a staple name to me, and it does have a long history, that which isn't terrible. It flows through the tongue well, the tag is recognizable, and we have a solid logo. 

Also the colour scheme of SG is something I personally love. Everyone sees that stuff differently and I respect that, but the Green, Gray contrast just works for me. I often look at other communities, and I absolutely hate their colour scheme.  The Modding Community, eGO, IG, and Karma,  are the forums that stand out the most to me as absolutely hideous looking, and from what I've looked through; SG has the best forum in terms of stylization, where to find information, etc.

On 10/6/2023 at 3:20 PM, Phoenix_ said:

Just throwing a couple of ones I thought of for rebranding (yes I looked to rank names as inspiration):

1) Veteran Gamers- The community has a large population of active, reserve, and former military personnel and you guys could shift your target audience to fostering a place for military vets, family of military vets, and anyone really can come together and enjoy games and discuss them. Color scheme could be purple and gold?

2) Legend Gamers - Idk this one just sounds cool? Could use gold and black/dark grey color scheme.

3) Tech gamers- could open the door into hosting more tech-related discussions about computer parts, companies, etc. 

I think it is about time for a re-brand that breaks the brand restraint of "steam gamers" and allows for more brand-sensible expansion outside of just steam games, and something that honestly just sounds more modern? Maybe it's just how my brain works but Steam-gamers sounds very fitting for the era it was named, but not for the modern era of gaming.

Every time I look at this post, it doesn't seem right to me at all. The direction we should be heading in (and I think we are for the most part) is to adhere to the younger generation of people.. not a bunch of old people who want to play ZE/ZM for a nostalgic run just to disappear off to their lives again. 

If we want SG to grow, we should be moving to people who have the time, and dedication to spend on the servers. also these names suck sorry. 

My vote is to keep SG as what it is, and not worry too much about rebranding.

• Like 1

• Content Count:  634

On 10/13/2023 at 12:28 PM, jazzy said:

We would continue to own the steam-gamers.net domain and can set up a simple redirect to the new domain. Additionally the major issue is steamgamers.com continues to stay up and confuse our playerbase making our community look COMPLETELY dead, in case you haven't noticed, steamgamers.com looks like this:

spacer.png

If a user goes to steamgamers.com instead they would anticipate the community is already dead, especially those from pre 2015. Obviously google metrics play a part but at the end of the day we're literally competing with a dead version of ourselves that can confuse players. Not to mention our current domain steam *hyphen* gamers dot net is a really awkward domain. In fact, by most SEO metrics, adding hyphens is almost never preferred and generally lowers your SEO, not even considering a .net in 2023 is a little jank looking as there is more preferably TLD's out there like .gg, if you can't get a good .com.

do we own this or what, why are we on a .net now? 

.com better

• Content Count:  1116

3 hours ago, The Real Slim Jim said:

do we own this or what, why are we on a .net now? 

.com better

We don't own .com and haven't since ~2015. Weird old lore and there's nothing we can really do to get it back.

• Like 1

Reply to Thread