? servers

? players online

August 2nd Community Meeting Notes/Discussion

• Content Count:  284

2 hours ago, BloodBlades said:

The notion that only movement players would ever play minigames is rooted in bad map and player habits. When all you play is some combination of long road, super tower, and skytower you're obviously gonna get a bunch of backstabbers who just like to fly around the map. I can't speak for the times before me, but from when I played, we rarely got new players that stuck around when we were on these types of maps and had these types of players online. Whenever the server reached 20+ it was almost always on a more laid back map that didn't promote backstabbing or when no movement players were online.

This idea is what I think too. Minigames was always a great server for regular  to play on but it was always came at a cost, players hopping around doing the same stuff on the same maps (myself included) would kill the fun for others. Course became stale quickly, maps like southpark and sky tower became what BloodBlades said. I would shrink the map pool to have variety occur and focus more on minigames. The times we had most pop was when we had death runs or minigames because most players that were on at the time played with a fair chance at winning which created more fun environments while still having a competitive side to the server. 

I do think that we would have regs that would come back even if the style of the server changes a bit. I don't think it will be a large handful of regs though just because that's how servers work our goal is to get new people that will want to be part of the community that's how the cycle goes. I've played on other minigame servers in different regions that have used an easyhop style instead of autohop that were very fun to play on. I think even slight changes like that and map pools could create a new environment for the server.

• Content Count:  538

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

MG would be cool. Course belongs in the deepest pits of hell. Just get rid of the movement in general. 

good one Andrew see you in another year!

• Content Count:  1056

It seems like we got some good input on minigames. I will start looking into it and some of the thing that were mentioned like easyhop. I can say this is not a guarantee, but if I/we do anything it will probably start off as an event and see how things progress.

I would still like to hear any input people have/what they would like to see if I do get a server up.

• Content Count:  909

I just wanted to clarify, I like course maps, in fact most of my playtime on MG is course maps. I only said to limit the number of course maps added as currently they make up the majority of maps ported so adding too many would flood the nomination and voting system. Maybe have 10-12 like sonic islands, savetheisland, 100 traps, acrophobia, prision escape, ect with autobhop and timer on course . Also, the music on most maps is insanely loud, making maps almost unplayable. Consider having a chat message that spams every round, instructing players to type snd_musicvolume 0 in the console or you could create a command like !stopmusic or !music that displays this message when used (not sure how difficult that would be). Some maps, like AWP Sub or Damon's Headshot, don't work either and others require special cvars like mg_thc_lego_multimap.

Reply to Thread